Casita hitch light wiring - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2017, 07:14 PM   #1

Name: Alan
Trailer: Casita
New Jersey
Casita hitch light wiring

I recently purchased a 2017 Casita Spirit Deluxe and would like to wire brake/stop/tail lights on a rear bumper mounted bike hitch. Where is the easiest place to tap into the wiring.

Thanks Alan
Alan Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Pull up the angled toe board along the back wall at the floor level, which will require the use of a screwdriver with a #2 Robertson square drive bit. It is not a Phillips head. Find the wires you need to tap into in the wiring bundle in the "rats nest" under the toe board.

I installed a 4-Pin flat trailer plug in the rear by drilling a hole through the floor in the area under the toe board. I would recommend drilling a 3/8" hole from the inside so you don't drill into any existing wiring and routing the wires in from the outside. (The wires you want to tap into are shown below.)

Finish up by caulking the hole around the wires with a good grade Marine sealant when your done with the wiring. My recommendation would be Sika-Flex 231 or 3M 4200.

My 2008 has the following color coding for the rear wire bundle under the slant board, which I had to decipher wire by wire in the rear bundle under the toe board when I installed a 4-Pin flat connector to power the lights on my Stow-Away box. The actual trailer wire colors are the far left column.

TRAILER----------------FUNCTION---------------------4-PIN CONNECTOR

WHITE-------------------GROUND-----------------------WHITE
GREEN------------TAIL/RUNNING/LIC.----------------BROWN
RED--------------LEFT TURN/BRAKE LT.---------------YELLOW
BROWN---------RIGHT TURN/BRAKE LT.--------------GREEN
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Alan. Just a bit of an add on to Greg's info just "in case". I used Greg's info when I added the plug on my '06 SD 17 but the right turn wire was not under the center panel. Who ever wired mine put it under the curb side bench . I pulled the bench for access which was fine as I installed a deck plate to the water tank and wired in a lighted shut off switch to the CO monitor to eliminate the battery draw while stored. Just a heads up.....had me scratching my head for a while .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:04 AM   #4

Name: Alan
Trailer: Casita
New Jersey
Thank.you Greg and Dave for your speedy reply. Very clear and excellent info. I really appreciate it.
Alan
Alan Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, light