Casita Mods - Round Two - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: Airstream 23D International Serenity
Texas
Casita Mods - Round Two

Photos here: Casita Mods - Round Two :: Casita Mods - Round Two (New tables, drawer, folding shelf, & cubbyhole) slideshow by z-me-go - Photobucket

Three-plus weeks in our '10 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe helped Linda and I really get a feel for 'Casita-ing,' including what we liked and what we would like to do to make things even better. We realize that Casita camping is just like livin' in the real world… everybody is different and everybody's likes and dislikes are remarkably (and thankfully) different as well.

That said, we really do prefer maintaining the ability to use the rear table for a 'table' when we want and to use it as a 'bed' when we want... in other words, in our perfect Casita world, the back bed will remain 'convertible.'

Never being able to leave much of anything alone, after I finished my 'replace all the doors' project, I turned my attention to the two tables. My 'design criteria' were:

1. The back bed to be 'instantly' convertible, table to bed and bed to table

2. The back bed would provide a place to 'store' Linda's RVSuperbag when using the table

3. The back bed must be rugged… immune to any effects of bad roads

4. The side dinette table would be bigger (hey, we're skinny… )

Things I would be willing to give up:

1. The back table could be smaller when in the 'up' position (there are only two of us, after all!)

2. I'm willing to give back some (all?) of the weight I saved when I replaced the doors

3. I am willing to have to 're-do' the back bed cushions… we want 5" foam anyway

The photos in the Photobucket "slide show" document the completion of this project. The table/bed is a hinged contraption ( stainless piano hinges), that can be lifted & locked into the table position in a heartbeat… no chrome 'tubes' to fiddle with. Likewise, the table can be lowered into the 'bed' position by reaching under the table, releasing the lock, flipping up the folding leg, and lowering the assembly into the 'bed' position… unfurl the RVSuperbag and I'ts nighty-nite time!

Oh, I nearly forgot… the side dinette table is 3.5" deeper; it's amazing how much more room that gives and we will never miss the lost 'aisle space.' The table is braced underneath with 13/16th ash… big-time strong.

Perhaps in the photo(s) you can see my little flip-up shelf by the stove. I got the folding brackets at Woodcraft.com… they are rated at 130-pounds (wow!). The shelf is like the table tops: ½" Baltic birch with matte-surface Formica.

Rob

Casita Mods - Round Two :: Casita Mods - Round Two (New tables, drawer, folding shelf, & cubbyhole) slideshow by z-me-go - Photobucket
Rob and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Well, Rob, you've done it again! It's terrific AND you introduced me to something I've never heard of--the RV Superbag. What's funny, I've been trying to think of a simple way to make the bed, because I, too, would like to have the table up during the day (it just looks roomier.) So I had been thinking how I could attach sheets to sleeping bags, and then I wondered where I'd store the bedding during the day. You have an answer for both!
The bad news is: I don't have a clue how you made that table, and Yikes! that bedding is a bit pricey!
Back to the drawing board!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:58 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
My grammy years and years ago did the same thing as RVsuperbag by sewing sheets together to make 'inserts' and then slipping them into their sleeping bags. I believe she held them in place with velcro too. A twin size sheet folded over made the insert for one single bag. Two sheets put together and sewn along the perimeter made an insert for a double wide sleeping bag (check your measurments before sewing).
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #4

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Darn Photobucket slideshow uses Flash player... I'm on my iPad right now, so I can't view it. Your mods sound very interesting. Our Scamp dinette table is a bit water damaged, so I am going to be making a new table. I have a few ideas rolling around in my head, but I would love to see what others are doing.

And, yes... the RV superbag sounds interesting. I'll have to run that by the wife.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:06 AM   #5

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Ahhh... never mind. I was able to find it with the Photobucket app. Beautiful work!
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
For those that don't want to sew or can't sew, there are these: Sleeping Bag Liner Several folks I work with use them for traveling and staying in motels, etc. when traveling out of the US ...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #7

Texas
Photos Added to Thread...

Good evening all!

To save the trouble of going to Photobucket, I've added the photos directly to the Forum thread:
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC3580.1.jpg   _DSC3581.1.jpg  

_DSC3582.1.jpg   _DSC3583.1.jpg  

_DSC3584.1.jpg   _DSC3585.1.jpg  

_DSC3586.1.jpg   _DSC3587.1.jpg  

_DSC3588.1.jpg   _DSC3589.1.jpg  

Old 09-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #8

Texas
And a couple more (!)

And even a few more (!)
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC3597.1.jpg   _DSC3598.1.jpg  

_DSC3599.1.jpg   _DSC3591.1.jpg  

_DSC3592.1.jpg   _DSC3593.1.jpg  

_DSC3594.1.jpg   _DSC3601.1.jpg  

Old 09-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #9

Registry
Show off!!!

Seriously, I've studied your table till my eyes started to water----

What can you tell me about this RV Superbag (I want to try to make a poor man's version). Does it just sit on top of the cushions?? Do the cushions separate, like they are prone to do? Does the bag slip off the cushions? Do you also use a foam topper for extra comfort? Would it be too much trouble if sometime you snap a few pics of the bag and how it goes together??

I've clicked on several websites about the RV Superbag, but there doesn't seem to be any "in depth" pics I can study---just the finished product.

Thanks for being such an inspiration!

Vickie
Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #10

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Show off!!!

Seriously, I've studied your table till my eyes started to water----

What can you tell me about this RV Superbag (I want to try to make a poor man's version). Does it just sit on top of the cushions?? Do the cushions separate, like they are prone to do? Does the bag slip off the cushions? Do you also use a foam topper for extra comfort? Would it be too much trouble if sometime you snap a few pics of the bag and how it goes together??

I've clicked on several websites about the RV Superbag, but there doesn't seem to be any "in depth" pics I can study---just the finished product.

Thanks for being such an inspiration!

Vickie
Thank you, Vickie!

Yes, the RVSuperbag just sits on top of the cushions... perhaps it would be a bit more 'comfy' if there were other things under it (foam or down comforter), but that would just be something else to 'store away' when setting up the table; anyway, Linda sleeps just fine on it this way!

The factory cushions do not separate at all, they are quite snug. As we have the new five-inch cushions made, we will certainly make sure that the new ones are as good a 'fit' as those supplied by Casita.

The bag moves around as Linda moves around pretty much as would a standard sleeping bag... but it's not a problem at all.

It's best to think of the RVSuperbag as a two-sided sleeping bag (one side heavier than the other... 'summer' and 'winter' sides) but with removable sheets. The thing is very, very well made and give us the impression it will outlast us (well, that is true for lots of stuff!).

I will take some photos in a couple of days and post them here. I will also PM you my phone number just in case you want to talk about other questions.

All the best!

Rb
Old 09-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #11

Registry
Thanks Rob!

Great info! I was thinking the same thing about storage---if I also had a foam topper to add to the bed!( Where would I put it??) Think I'll have to try making a super bag---very good idea.

Keep the ideas coming---however most I'll just lust after

Vickie
Old 09-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft

Outstanding work.

Wondering if I could do a super bag for my Gaucho.

Thanks for the post!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #13

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Thanks Rob!

Great info! I was thinking the same thing about storage---if I also had a foam topper to add to the bed!( Where would I put it??) Think I'll have to try making a super bag---very good idea.

Keep the ideas coming---however most I'll just lust after

Vickie
Hey Vickie...

Here are four photos that are my 'proof of concept' shots... they show how the RVSuperbag folds until it's stowed behind the table riser. As you can see, these shots were taken without the new cushions in the Casita... however, the addition of the cushions hardly complicates the process at all... takes about 30-seconds!

Cheerz!

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
RVSuperbed full.jpg   RVSuperbed folded half.jpg  

RVSuperbed folded to one forth.jpg   RVSuperbed stowed.jpg  

Old 09-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
We used a Travsak for years and still have it for use on our airbed. I also made a homemade one for our son and his friend to use when they were little. I used sheets and velcro inside a double sleeping bag. If you need more covers or something under you, you can add blankets between the sheet and bag. I safety pinned the extra blankets in place.

Edited to say I love the mods! What a neat idea for the table!

Tags
casita