Casita outside storage door enlargement - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-16-2020, 10:54 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
GA
Casita outside storage door enlargement

I have 17' Independence. Has anyone replaced the standard 12x9 access door behind passenger side wheel with 16X12 door? Any door manufacture recommendations? problems?

My plan is to remove water tank/lines and replace 12x9 access door with 16x12 door to allow for easier access to under bed storage. Tons of space there but no easy to get to it.

Casita says they have no experience with larger doors (??), but "seems possible - watch for wiring". My concern is structural strength. I think its OK based on the similar large cutouts for frig and water heater but would like to hear from someone who has done it.

Comments?

yolams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #2

Name: p@
South Carolina
Registry
while i've not modified any of the outside hatches on my casita there are a bunch of folks that have and documented that mod on the casita travel trailer forum. and based on what i've read there are no real structural issues for a relatively small increase in the hole size.

p@

patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #3

Name: Lee
Texas
Registry
Spirit Underbed Storage Redux - Page 3 - Casita Trailer Modifications Forum - The Casita Club Forums
This is on the Casita Club website and you may have to register to see all the pictures but this guy did an excelant job of relocating his water tank and installing a larger door on the outside to gratly increase his storage and access to it from the outside.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:04 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolams View Post
I have 17' Independence. My concern is structural strength.

Comments?
Fiberglass trailers are a shell - basically what would be called a Monocoque construction where the entire shell unit contributes to the strength of the structure; not just sections as with a house where studs each carry a part of the load. A small increase in that opening won't cause any issues in my opinion.

I'm a retired mechanical engineer, if that's worth anything..........

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:17 PM   #5

Name: Steve
GA
Thx everyone. Think I will try it!
yolams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:35 PM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Since I have the 25 gallon fresh water tank, enlarging that hatch wouldn't really be a benefit, but I did replace the shore power hatch with a larger one on the other side. Now I can access a lot more room for storage in that area, as well as having easy access to the back of the converter. If you ever want to add any electrical lines, its nice to be able to get to the wire clamps. It is also where I mounted my hard-wired EMS unit. And I like the twist-lock power cord mod best of all. No more fighting with that stupid cord trying to pull it out or shoving it back in that silly little hatch. And no more sliding "mouse door" for insects and vermin to crawl up your shore power cord into your trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
New Electrical Hatch2.JPG   New Electrical Hatch1.JPG  

New Electrical Hatch3.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita