Casita SD Side Dinette Mod - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Hi....
I recently did a mod that a few of you may be interested in as the side dinette when it's setup as a bed is a little narrow for me.
With a mod i seen on a site with a great bed widening mod i thought i would give it a try and i have to say i had great success and really like it alot as it has widened the bed from 24" to 36" and it all comes apart when need to return to either the dinette table (not pictured) or into a couch..... As of this posting i am still waiting to try and find some cushions that match and buying a set from casita is about $100 for one set (seat and backrest) What i believe i will do is buy two extra firm king size pillows (perfect fit of 72")and use them as backrests with some fancy pillow case covers that should make it look pretty good and then just drop them down in place along the back when the other cushions are pushed out to the front..... I used 1/4 plywood (custom cutout where the dropped down table sticks out a bit) 12" wide X 72" Long and four legs and it is plenty strong (I weigh 185 lbs) and there is no flexing in the plywood..... I also used a very heavy industrial velcro purchased at lowes and for added strength i double wide stapled about every three inches so the velcro sticky back doesn't lift off the plywood in warmer weather(Do not staple the velcro on the fiberglass edge or you will have major damage)....I also rounded the corner at the bathroom so that the door could be opened when needed.
There is plenty of room in the aisle in case you want to leave it setup all the time
pics below explain the process

Joe

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	12506

Name:	15.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	12507

Name:	14.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	12508

Name:	12.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	12509

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	12511

Name:	11.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	12510

Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
that looks great Joe!! I had the Scamp 16 SD but found no need to use it for a bed... I have to say I think the floor layout of the 16 SD is the best one..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Joe:

That looks like a really nice mod you've done there. I never had need for the side dinette to be a bed cause my wife and I are (were) smaller. I think this will be a lot more comfortable for both of you now....Russell....PS enjoy your next trip where ever it may be. I'm getting better by the day and expect to hit the road by the first week of May. Dr. says I still need to take it a little easy though.
william russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #4

Russel....
Alway great to hear from you and i'm really takin care of your Casita..... When you go to Alaska and if you have internet access please email me and send any pics if you get the chance. Feel Better
Joe
Old 04-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #5

Trailer: Compact Jr
The Velcro is a very clever way to keep the new extension in place.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
My son would be more comfortable in the side bed if it were wider. Would this mod work on a 17' does anyone know? Ben nice to do it before the San Antonio Lake Rally... Or does anyone have a better idea?
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:25 AM   #7

Quote:
My son would be more comfortable in the side bed if it were wider. Would this mod work on a 17' does anyone know? Ben nice to do it before the San Antonio Lake Rally... Or does anyone have a better idea?
Lisa....
This mod will definately work on a 17'...... the original plans that i copied where from a 17'.....If you need any further info on how to do it feel free to PM Me. This mod was really easy.
Also trying to get an extra seat cushion and seat back from casita was very expensive....$130 so i just bought two king size pillows (36"W X 20"H each extra firm) and matching shams and they fit in perfectly.
I also hide the extension board under the rear bed cushions and can still use the side dinette table if wanted
Joe
Old 03-08-2015, 02:53 PM   #8

Hello Joe Z. Would you be kind enough to send your side bed mods photographs to aid this rookie? Have a 17' SD and want a wider sleeping side "berth". Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
MADUNNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #9

Name: richard
Trailer: casita
Ontario
need help

Im a new Casita owner....have an older one 16 foot ong....
2 questions

Want to change the side single bed into a dinning area BUT the wheel well
seems to be a stumbling block.....any suggestions??

also
want to remove the carpet (its older and dirty) and put new covering all around. appreciate any tips...thanks
mr. richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #10

Name: richard
Trailer: casita
Ontario
need help with my Casita

2 questions

also
want to remove the carpet (its older and dirty) and put new covering all around. appreciate any tips...thanks
mr. richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:35 AM   #11

Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
California
I'm impressed!
ArtWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Quote:
2 questions

you didn't say what model 16' you have, but, if it's a spirit converting to a dinette is easy. make a table top, get the mounting hardware and put it in. then some cushions for the seats and backrest. you should go to the casita web site and look at the pics of a side dinette for reference. should you decide to do this pm me and i can provide dimensions, etc...

also
my first casita was a used patriot with carpet. i just didn't like it. i installed one of those laminate flooring products (like pergo?...fake wood interlocking flooring). i just pulled the floor molding off and put the laminate stuff on top of the carpet (i'm not the first one to do this) and it worked out well.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:32 PM   #13

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2013 16 ft. Scamp
Michigan
Hi Joe and Linda, I know this was an old post but I thought I would try to contact you anyway. I have to sleep on that 23" wide dinette so I am very interested in this mod. The only question I have is....Do you have to put the Velcro on the edge of the fiberglass seat to hold it in place? If you do, how does it stay stuck without pulling off every time you take up the plywood? I love this whole idea. Thank you for posting it! Annie
anne myette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:51 AM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by anne myette View Post
Hi Joe and Linda, I know this was an old post but I thought I would try to contact you anyway. I have to sleep on that 23" wide dinette so I am very interested in this mod. The only question I have is....Do you have to put the Velcro on the edge of the fiberglass seat to hold it in place? If you do, how does it stay stuck without pulling off every time you take up the plywood? I love this whole idea. Thank you for posting it! Annie
Anne, I'm glad you brought up this old post as I've never see it before. I did basically the thing and posted pics about 6 months ago. Not as wide, only 30" but no Velcro was needed. Used T nuts, recessed a bit so there was no abrasion to FG or fabric. The black posts are 1/4-20 bolts with a short piece of rubber hose that drops into the finger holes of the hatch covers to keep it from moving. Being we rarely put the side table up it works fine for us. Just use a micro blanket to fill the gap along the wall. Just one more way to get it done.
Attached Thumbnails
bed mod 4.jpg   bed mod 1.jpg  

bed mod 2.jpg   bed mod 3.jpg  

Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:00 PM   #15

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2013 16 ft. Scamp
Michigan
Thanks Dave, We are going to do this. Someday I will post some pictures.
anne myette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita