Casita SD17 Nature's Head Composting Toilet - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2020, 04:51 AM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Compoosting Toilet replacement parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Thank you very much for the CT connection. I went to their website. They say in the write up that a replacement 12v motor can be purchased but I do not see it in the list of products sold.

From the company website:
We can also supply a spares/service pack to include:-
Motor (plug and play)
Urine sensor (plug and play)
Fan
Henry, they have an email address under their contacts tab. I would write them an email and ask for details on replacement spares. I am sure they will be quick to respond.

I believe your concern about the flies is unnecessary. In the many hundreds of videos I have watched about people and their composting toilets, I would say that probably less than one percent ever mention them. In my opinion, the advantages of the CT far outweigh any concerns you may have. The privacy cover they offer also would help mitigate your worries.

After your comment, I went to their site. They seemed to have removed that comment, but I would still send them an email requesting information on spares.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #22

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Bob, early on you stated "A pattern of the new floor was made by cutting cardboard to fit the area." I missed this statement and is what I was trying to nail down. I used the cardboard pattern method when we made shelves for the front closet in our Casita Spirit Delux. But I could not get the shelves to fit as precisely as you did in this instance. Very nicely done indeed.

I am trying to identify and understand all the composting toilets on the Market. CT seems to stand out as being the best. I am stating the following only to document: The only other composting manufacturers I have identified are Airhead, Nature's Head, Sun-Mar and Separett. There seem to be a number of models that are nothing more than an enclosure for a bucket, which is then emptied: Not really a compost toilet.

Thank you very much for the detailed account of your install.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Bob, early on you stated "A pattern of the new floor was made by cutting cardboard to fit the area." . . . .

I am trying to identify and understand all the composting toilets on the Market. CT seems to stand out as being the best. I am stating the following only to document: The only other composting manufacturers I have identified are Airhead, Nature's Head, Sun-Mar and Separett. There seem to be a number of models that are nothing more than an enclosure for a bucket, which is then emptied: Not really a compost toilet.
Henry, I failed to realize you were talking about the cardboard pattern I used until after my previous post.

I used a large piece of cardboard and then used a compass to draw along the wall on the cardboard. This gave me a starting point. I cut and taped pieces of cardboard to the pattern to get the final shape that I needed. Even my effort was not as accurate as I would have liked.

When deciding on the NH, I too looked at the various options. At the time, CT did not come to light. I suspect there are other European manufacturers of composting toilets of whom I am not aware. I agree that among all of the manufacturers that you mentioned, the the CT is the best choice if power is not a factor.

If I had the decision to make over, I would go with the CT. NH has several flaws in my opinion. Removing the urine collection bottle is not as easy and or as simple as the CT. To empty the compost material when the bin is full requires removal of the entire toilet system and dismantling it. In the CT, the urine bottle is hidden from view. The NH does not hide the bottle. I feel the CT has a much cleaner look. The NH is well constructed and is one of the reasons I went with it. At the time of my research, I noticed that a large majority of users went with the NH, which also factored heavily into my decision.

I have to admit, I am basically lazy. So simple and easy wins the game for me. Seems to me that the CT does a pretty good job all around.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #24

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Thank you Bob.

Tags
casita