Casita wall carpet alternative? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #1

Name: Joe and Andrea
Trailer: '84 Casita, '90 17' Bigfoot
Michigan
Casita wall carpet alternative?

We have owned a 16' early model Casita ('83 or '84) for under a year. The previous owner had possession for a couple months and did a quick clean up on the trailer after it had been sitting for some time (Which I later learned from doing some research on fiberglassrvforsale). Anyway it is in great shape but it was clear that there was a mouse nest inside the trailer at some point. After doing additional cleaning and a few applications of Odoban, we were able to determine that the smell was coming from the cabinet above the refrigerator. We started taking things apart and shelf and wood brackets were obviously soaked in biological material.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2424476522.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	46470

Name:	image-1068073840.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	46471

The above picture shows some dark brown carpeting which was put in by the previous owner. He also used a very thick coat of Kilz Primer under the carpet.
When we removed the electrical box we found some more biological material.

Name:	image-396343311.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	46472

After another application of Odoban, the carpet on the wall was still stinky, so that came out. There is a lot of glue on all the surfaces (2 interior walls, 1 exterior wall, bottom shelf, and some wiring). I used mineral spirits and scraped the glue from the bottom shelve- a lot of work! I don't think I want to take on the walls.

Name:	image-2033023842.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	46473

Name:	image-4020247481.jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	46474

Here is where I need advice. Should I do anything to prepare the surfaces? There may be a some odor left in those walls but it's smelling much better now. I'm also wondering what materials I can use on the walls. I would like to use wood but do I need to be concerned with insulation or condensation on the exterior wall?

Any advice, pictures, or links would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Andrea
Joe and Andrea C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
Clean the area with an orange based cleaner.

Call the Casita Factory and get the carpet from them.

The carpet is 3/16" thick and bonded to 1/2" foam rubber backing. This is your insulation.

If you need anything else for your Casita shop around then call Casita you may be surprised.
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote