Casita window tinting w/o removing windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
GA
Casita window tinting w/o removing windows

Wanting to have my Casita windows tinted without removing the windows themselves. I heard there was a place in Texas that does this, but wanted something closer to Georgia. Does anyone have a good window guy?

(sorry if this has been discussed before, if someone can forward the threads I will be happy to read whats already posted.)
yolams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
Smile Casita tint

Lams in Gainesville Ga. 770 536 4853 did great job on my S.D.17.
vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:17 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I would start calling local auto window tinters. Surely there are many in GA. I had my Chevy truck windows tinted years ago when I lived in Atlanta. They tinted everything in place.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:39 AM   #4
vin

Georgia
casita tint

There is a tint shop on every block in Atlanta. The trick is to tint the inaccessible section of the bypass slider without removing the window. This shop owner is a camper and made a tool to do just that and his camper was the test model. Everyone else I contacted said the windows had to be removed.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #5

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Window Tinting

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolams View Post
Wanting to have my Casita windows tinted without removing the windows themselves. I heard there was a place in Texas that does this, but wanted something closer to Georgia. Does anyone have a good window guy?

(sorry if this has been discussed before, if someone can forward the threads I will be happy to read whats already posted.)
A good tinting person can tint your windows without removing windows or screens. It helps with privacy and sun light blasting through your big windows, yet you can still see out just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0994.jpg  
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:26 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
GA
Thx vin! Most I've contacted said they would have to remove the windows, which I do not want. I will contact LAM's and check them out. I assume you did all windows except bathroom and door, can you share approx cost?
yolams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #7

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolams View Post
Thx vin! Most I've contacted said they would have to remove the windows, which I do not want. I will contact LAM's and check them out. I assume you did all windows except bathroom and door, can you share approx cost?
Yes, I had all but bathroom and trailer door windows done. We like it a lot.
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #8
vin

Georgia
Smile Casita tint

$40.00 per pane. In the bathroom window I used a piece if static window tint which was left over from a previous project. A lot of folks customize their doors just like their homes. IMHO the tint is well worth it. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #9

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Casita Window Tint

Being a tweaker, I bought two boxes of Gila USS44 20% Limo Black window tint, a narrow/thin (cheap) squeege and used a scissors and a box cutter to install the window tint in my 17’ Casita Spirit Deluxe.

I did not remove the windows. The first step was to cut a pattern for each window using regular paper and then use the scissors to cut the film for each pattern. The tricky part was to coax the window tint into the proper position for the portion of the sliding window that remains behind the window screen. There seemed to be just enough "give" in the vertical screen support for me to flex it slightly so that I could get the moistened film to slide into place using the squeege. Finally, I used the box cutter to trim off any excess film.

Like Bob & Cathy, I didn’t bother tinting the bath and door windows.

It didn’t quite turn out to be a super picture-perfect install but it’s way-more than adequate for camping.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:28 PM   #10

Name: V
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
WV
Registry
If you are even a little bit handy, you can do it yourself. My camper is very old and part of the fun of vintage is the DIY aspect.

I bought the tinting film on amazon and followed the directions. It is pretty simple. The hardest part is prep. You need to make sure that you have EVERYTHING you need handy and you need to remove anything that can be damaged by a spray bottle of water. Otherwise, just clean the window. Cut a sheet of film about an inch bigger than the window all around. Spritz the window and the film with water to activate the glue on the film. Apply it. Squeegee out the wrinkles and use an xacto knife to trim the edges. Easy peasy.

**Be sure to change you xacto blade often or you could tear the film.
VLynnStudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1982
Window Tint in Texas

[QUOTE=yolams;768895]Wanting to have my Casita windows tinted without removing the windows themselves. I heard there was a place in Texas that does this, but wanted something closer to Georgia. Does anyone have a good window guy?

The window tint company, is All Pro Tint, Decatur, TX.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...0496567080236/

We had our Casita done August 2019, and too about 1 hour. Great people.

Tom C
Thomas A Cronquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 02:51 PM   #12

Name: Frances
Trailer: Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe
Arizona
So I’ve been looking at doing this tint job on my 2011 FD casita, but the part I don’t understand, is to tint the “sliding part” half of the window, all the way open, the screen still covers about 2” of the sliding window, the screen is clearly in the way. Can anyone fill me in (no pun intended)
FabulousFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 03:16 PM   #13

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabulousFrankie View Post
... ... ... to tint the “sliding part” half of the window, all the way open, the screen still covers about 2” of the sliding window, the screen is clearly in the way.
See my "hint" in post #9 above.

Note that I used a inexpensive squeege with a low profile that I was able to (more or less) slide inbetween the vertical screen support and the window glass by carefully flexing that vertical support slightly. If you can get a popsicle stick, that might help where the squeege might not reach.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:41 PM   #14

Name: Frances
Trailer: Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLynnStudio View Post
If you are even a little bit handy, you can do it yourself. My camper is very old and part of the fun of vintage is the DIY aspect.

I bought the tinting film on amazon and followed the directions. It is pretty simple. The hardest part is prep. You need to make sure that you have EVERYTHING you need handy and you need to remove anything that can be damaged by a spray bottle of water. Otherwise, just clean the window. Cut a sheet of film about an inch bigger than the window all around. Spritz the window and the film with water to activate the glue on the film. Apply it. Squeegee out the wrinkles and use an xacto knife to trim the edges. Easy peasy.

**Be sure to change you xacto blade often or you could tear the film.
You did not mention the sliding window that is behind the screen when the window is all the way open, how do you get behind the screen?
FabulousFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, vin, windows