Catalytic Heaters - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #1

Name: lyle
Trailer: Trillium
Michigan
Registry
Catalytic Heaters

I know this subject has been posted before, but maybe there is more current information or advice/experience.
I have a Trillium 4500 and the Dometic furnace is getting old and cranky. I am debating whether or not to try to fix the old furnace or install a catalytic heater (Olympian Wave-3).
From previous posts, a location under the closet door (where the old furnace was) seems to be the logical choice. The roughly 38 inch space in front of the heater is some concern.
The concept of radiant heating seem problematic as well. What would a radiant heater in a small fiberglass trailer heat that "re-radiates"? I don't fancy using the fiberglass or cabinet doors opposite the heater as a secondary heat source.
I've noticed that these heaters are being used more and more in small trailers so, till my next rally, I was hoping for a few stories/advice from those that have them. Thanks. Lyle Thompson
clyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Francesca Knowles has done exactly what you are considering in her Trillium 4500. Hopefully she will comment.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have used wave heaters in both my burros.

The positive points are that they are relatively easy to install, they do work well, and you certainly can't beat the electrical consumption..or lack of it :-P

The bad points:

Condensation, no thermostat, condensation, they take a LONG time to heat the entire trailer, condensation, less efficient at higher elevations, condensation...did I mention condensation?

I had no issues with them heating other surfaces. I actually used that to an advantage in my 17 foot Burro with glass shower door. The heater was almost directly across from it, and once going, the door would heat up and radiate into the bathroom passively.

I abandoned the use of Wave heaters when I nearly fried my dogs TWICE in one week when I forgot to shut it down when leaving for work. No thermostat was a deal breaker for me. I went with a Blue Flame heater with thermo. It heats the air, has less condensation, and a thermo that works well.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...mmy-44647.html
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #4

Alberta
Registry
Lyle, what problems are you having with your Duo-Therm?
Old 04-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #5

Michigan
Registry
Dave - It never did heat much. When it's lit there's just a minimum flame at the burners regardless of the thermo setting. It was more of an inconvenience than anything. I'd just leave it on long enough and things would heat up. But about a week ago it started "pulsing" for lack of a better descriptor and then the burner would go out completely. The pilot would stay lit. "So", I says, "Why don't you take it apart just a little and see if there is anything that doesn't look right". Well, much to my surprise, there are more small parts in a gas valve than I imagined and 0200, working with a flashlight in the cold probably wasn't the best idea in hindsight. Long story short. Now it doesn't work at all. I don't have a clue how to reassemble the gas valve with the proper settings. The cost of having someone more talented than myself repair my work is about the same as a cat-heater and I'm not sure that it would be any better than it was before I started messing with it.
As an alternative, I've located a 3rd party gas valve that I could install, but again, it's about the cost of a cat-heater.
Sad story, eh?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #6

Alberta
Registry
Lyle, please post a link to the replacement gas valve, if possible. Please don't chuck the furnace till you post it in the parts for sale section for a while. I'll be at Lake Huron this summer. Maybe I'll swing by and take it off your hands.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #7

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyle View Post
I know this subject has been posted before, but maybe there is more current information or advice/experience.
I have a Trillium 4500 and the Dometic furnace is getting old and cranky. I am debating whether or not to try to fix the old furnace or install a catalytic heater (Olympian Wave-3).
From previous posts, a location under the closet door (where the old furnace was) seems to be the logical choice. The roughly 38 inch space in front of the heater is some concern.
The concept of radiant heating seem problematic as well. What would a radiant heater in a small fiberglass trailer heat that "re-radiates"? I don't fancy using the fiberglass or cabinet doors opposite the heater as a secondary heat source.
I've noticed that these heaters are being used more and more in small trailers so, till my next rally, I was hoping for a few stories/advice from those that have them. Thanks. Lyle Thompson

Olympian Wave-3 works great and its quiet. I have mine mounted on the bottom of where the closet once was. I keep the top vent open just a hair by resting the red closing hatch on the alumnimum rail. With window insulation I can comfortably keep the camper at 68 or 70 down to around mid twenties outside. Condensation no issue in Colorado. It does take a while to heat up with just the heater. I generally make some tea or hot chocolate and that heats up the camper nicely. Remember to run your vent fan while the stove is on in cold weather. Super efficient, I camped for two weeks last winter, running the heater every evening until bed time and barely madea dent in my gas supply.

In terms of heating up stuff. I put a stainless steel panel on the fiberglass on the front of the bench next to the heater since it got warm. No where else is an issue.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Check out the Propex heaters;
Propex HS2800 heater - High output, blown air space heater gas powered

Uses less electric and less LPG to produce the needed heat. Still 100% safe just like the original furnace.

USA distributor;
Westy Ventures / Propex heaters
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #9

Alberta
Registry
At 2.8 KW output, that Propex HS2800 is a bit big for a Trillium 4500. Unless you want to winter in the the trailer.

The HS2000 with a 1.9 KW output seems a better size. It also draws 0.5 A less power.
Propex HS2000 Heater - Blown Air space heater, thermostat - Gas power
Old 04-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #10

Name: Lloyd
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
65810-2 Pilot Assy

Hello Lyle. David suggested that you may be willing to sell the pilot assy from your old furnace as you replace it. If your furnace was a 65810-2, I would be interested.
Seagull42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #11

Michigan
Registry
It's a Model 65512-002. The gas valve assembly is the attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #12

Alberta
Registry
Woops! My bad. The 4500 and 1300 use different Duo-Therm furnaces. The pilot assembly might be the same though. I will try to remember to take a look tonight.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #13

Alberta
Registry
Lloyd, Is it the part at the bottom, (side) that you are after?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #14

Name: Lloyd
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Lyle/David. The gas valve and pilot assy look to be identical to mine. The pilot assy is the fitting on the bottom of the picture that takes the pilot gas tube and the thermocouple. It secures to the plate that is part of the gas control with two bolts and nuts, the bolt heads being on the inside. (You have to remove the control valve to get at the bolt heads.)
Seagull42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #15

Name: Drew
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
At 2.8 KW output, that Propex HS2800 is a bit big for a Trillium 4500. Unless you want to winter in the the trailer.

The HS2000 with a 1.9 KW output seems a better size. It also draws 0.5 A less power.
Propex HS2000 Heater - Blown Air space heater, thermostat - Gas power
These are interesting. Has anyone installed one? Wondering how loud they are and if their power consumption is as reported.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #16

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Diane just posted today about her experience with the WAVE 3000 on our UHaul Camper page on FB. It's an open group so you should be able to check it out. She just went camping in 26 degree weather this past weekend and survived! :P

I mentioned your query on these units and maybe she'll stop in and update you here.

Good luck in your quest and let us know what you decide!
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-task View Post
These are interesting. Has anyone installed one? Wondering how loud they are and if their power consumption is as reported.
Member McDenny did a nice write up of his installation in his Lil Snoozy just this month.
fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/lil-snoozy-propane-furnace-installation-63501.html

This is exactly what I am going to do with our Lil Snoozy (when we get it).
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #18

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I installed the Wave 3 heater in my U Haul CT13 recently. Just got back from the Mountains at 26 degree nights. Burrrr... Turned heater on after reading how too. Heated up fast. But you need 24 sq. inches of ventilation. So I opened the Upper vent in ceiling, and a window. Froze my head off. I know I have air leaks in the trailer because I can feel them. Next day I saw daylight at bottom right of my shut door. so that night I only cracked the vent and opened up the sink cabinet door and was warm. My unit is mounted on the lower closet wall as you enter the trailer. I would recommend a different install if I had to do it over again. I would run a flexible line on the inside with a quick release connection and use the pedestal legs so it can face the bed from the front of trailer. It used little gas, and no electric power. So for a boon docker, it's nice. I originally asked for this type of installation but the service man thought it best to go with the wall connection, easier on the CT, since gas lines were already there.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #19

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Heater.jpg  
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Diane, That's a nice neat looking install, glad it works for you.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium