Center jack on a 13 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Well while back in Minnesota I picked up a center jack at the factory. I'd been wanting a center jack but the tube on all the ones I had seen hung down to low for a 13 footer. We just sit too low.

It was actually at the Nebraska gathering that I noticed Floyds center jack. Then while at the factory wandering around I observed that all the new Scamps had center jacks. The factory is actually putting 2" couplers on all the trailers which have the 3 holes necessary for mounting a center jack. Then they found jacks with short tubes.

I didn't change the coupler on my Scamp. It still has the 1 7/8" coupler that the factory used to put on, which only has the front mounting hole. I did what Floyd did and had a cross bar welded to the tongue with 2 appropriate holes for the rear of the jack plate. I just love the new jack. I hated the side folding jack which always had a slight twist to the frame. In addition, I had to be careful when shoving the Scamp around on the side jack. This center jack is very secure, the welder made sure to do a great job for me.

I'll add a couple of pictures tomorrow. Jack up and jack down.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #2

Well I won't have a jack down and disconnected picture as I'm not going to disconnect until next week.

Here are some pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	109_7418.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	16203

The chain drop is 5 inches from the ground and the jack foot is 8 inches from the ground.
You'll notice a bracket between the jack post & propane tank that's for my satellite dish post.

You can see my utility trailer in the background. The center jack on it hangs down further but the trailer sits higher. I use a different draw bar with less drop and a 2" ball on it for the utility trailer. If that jack were on my 13 Scamp it would drag at driveways no matter which draw bar.

Name:	109_7420.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	16204
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 10-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #3

Here's a picture from the apposing side where the umbilical keeper is attached to the jack post. The keeper is made out of 2" PVC with a cap. The are slots cut for the wings of the umbilical and then holes for the hitch pin to go through to hold the umbilical in.

Name:	109_7421.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	16205

I actually was taking the picture to show you the plate I had welded to the side of the tongue to hold the anti-sway bar when disconnected. I hate anything hanging down on the ground.

Name:	109_7424.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	16206
Attached Thumbnails
109_7422.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn

Tags
scamp