Cheap flat screen mount - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #1

Name: Colin
Trailer: 1981 Bigfoot
British Columbia
Cheap flat screen mount

Im totally buying this for my Bigfoot! Such a great deal! only $8.25.

For only $7.25 each when QTY 50+ purchased - LCD LED Cabinet Mount Bracket (Max 17.6Lbs, 9~17inch) - Black | Ceiling / Under Cabinet Mounts for Flat Panel Displays
Colin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I use these all the time,they work well but I would only partially buy one if I were you!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Monoprice IS the place to get lots of inexpensive home theater stuff. Big box stores gouge on the basic accessories like cabling, screen and speaker mounts and wiring.

This stuff is all made in China, but paying four or five times as much will only get you a name brand - made in China.

Regards,

Matt
Old 03-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
That's cool.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Colin,

I'd like to install a TV in the cabin of my Bigfoot 19.

What type Bigfoot do you own, where will you be placing the TV?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #6

Name: Colin
Trailer: 1981 Bigfoot
British Columbia
Jane,

I have the 17.5 Gaucho layout. I was planning to mount it under the front cabinet in the corner with the lamp. The bracket is cool because you can flip it up out of the way when not in use.
Colin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
That is a real price breakthrough!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin77 View Post
Jane,

I have the 17.5 Gaucho layout. I was planning to mount it under the front cabinet in the corner with the lamp. The bracket is cool because you can flip it up out of the way when not in use.
Actually the bracket will flip up but I would not trust it to hold a TV flipped up standing still much less on the road.
There is a single Hex bolt that sets the tension of the hinge and it will be inviting trouble to think this one will hold while on the road.

Just speaking from experience with this mount.
Ed
Old 03-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin77 View Post
Jane,

I have a gaucho layout as well.

Do you mean the front cabinet corner behind the drivers side/street side?

What lamp?

I am playing with the idea of placing the TV at the foot of the gaucho couch between the door and couch. In my 19' trailer there is a upper and lower cabinet between the door and the couch. I was thinking of mounting the TV to the upper cabinet. I was looking at mounts that would allow me to swivel the TV 180 degrees so that we can view it from the front dinette or while in bed.

Mounted into the double cabinet "wall" is a TV outlet for the roof antenna plus power outlets. I'd have to find "just the right" size & weight TV for that spot. Plus a mount that would swivel in a 180 degree ark. I would have to find an appropriate spot for a DVD unit near the TV (they don't seem to integrate DVDs into TVs anymore).

My other option is to mount it under the front, street side cabinet corner. But it would be far away from the antenna outlet, and everyone would have to sit on the curve side of the dinette.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Actually the bracket will flip up but I would not trust it to hold a TV flipped up standing still much less on the road.
There is a single Hex bolt that sets the tension of the hinge and it will be inviting trouble to think this one will hold while on the road.

Just speaking from experience with this mount.
Ed

Most of the threads I have read regarding traveling with a TV suggest taking the TV off the mount and stowing it where it would be safe while on the road.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post

Most of the threads I have read regarding traveling with a TV suggest taking the TV off the mount and stowing it where it would be safe while on the road.
Thats not what I am suggesting at all.

I am saying that this mount is not capable of holding a TV in the flipped up position really at any time.

I have no problem with it holding the TV in the air when flipped down in viewing position I just would leave it like that all the time and not swing it up and expect it to stay there.

The tension adjustment on it is too crude to really work to keep it up and still be able to swing it down when needed.
It is just fine if adjusted for the down position and left that way though.

All of that of course depends on how well the mount is fastened to the shelf in the first place?

I have never taken a TV down for the road in 6 different trailers now and I have never felt like I should have.
Just too much work for little reason.

I also do not like the DVD built into the TV. When it dies then you have a deeper TV for no reason and will still have to find a way to connect an external player anyway.
Also the all in one units are typically the less nice units too.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #12

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
The mount for my 21" was only like $20 on Samsclub.com. It works perfect for my mounting location on the bed side of the cabinet in my Uhaul.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: Flat Screen Mounts
IMHO.... That looks a little on the light side for trailer use. Remember, except for those of us in California, most walls that TV's are attached to stay in one place, the one in a trailer is bouncing (Hard bouncing in most) all of the time. Unless you want to take it off the mount when travelling, I would use a rule of thumb of having a mount with a weight capacity of at least 4 times the weight of the TV.
Here is one I have used at least 8 of for home use and motorhome applications and am also going to use in both my Casita and Hunter-II. It's just a few $$$, and real cheap compared to a broken flat screen.
MyCableMart.com
They also have others on the site. I have been very happy with this company in the past.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #14

Bob

As long as the mount is thru-bolted to a shelf it should be OK for mobile use.
I will say that I mainly use it to hang 4lb TV's in Bathrooms and Kitchens but I have also used it for much heavier sets too.

I even use that mount in my digital Photo Booths which are moved around and banged around in my truck all the time and they are solid mounting heavy touchscreen controllers as well. Then at an event they survive hundreds of screaming children poking at the screen all night long without the monitor moving at all.

I did an event Friday night for 400 screaming monsters and parents and had coffee spilled on me,lightstands knocked over and the printer mauled while they tried to pull the photos out all night long and the Touchscreen didn't budge at all.

If they can stand up to that........
Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #15

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: TV Mounts
I agree with you Ed, a 4 lb tv times 4 is 16 lbs and that's just what that mount is rated at. However, any thing heavier may require something a bit stouter.
Just after Christmas of 2010 my G. daughter had Wal-Mart sourced wall mount snap off on her as she was repositioning a newly mounted 22' flat screen she had just gotten. Fortunately she wasn't injured, but the 1 month old TV became scrap from the fall.
When I use the mount I mentioned in an RV, I use a piece of 1/2" plywood, at least 10" x 18", on the back side of the wall I am attaching the mount against to distribute the load, and I also tie them in close to the wall with bungee cords for travel.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #16

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Converting front gaucho to 2-person dinette and, therefore, 'losing' small shelving unit (nestled between stovetop and front window). Was wondering about using a TV ceiling mount installed upside down...screwing it into the new wood-framed/topped bench seat. TV is 19" screen / 14 lbs. Anyone see any reason this would NOT work?

The stand we are considering is: Amazon.com: VideoSecu Swivel Tilt Ceiling Mount for most 15Inch - 32 Inch LCD Monitor Flat Panel Screen LCD LED TV Displays ML404B M07: Electronics
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #17

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I have that mount and the knuckle not only won't hold a 19" flatscreen folded up horizontal; the dang thing won't hold the TV vertical either. In addition, IF you do wish to remove the TV and stuff it under the bedcushions or whatever cuddlesome arrangement you think best, you'll need a socket or nutrunner to get the nylok acorn nut off the stud on the horizontal mounting plate. This is an awkward operation as you need one hand for the TV and one for the nutrunner.

I traded a feller at work an old National lap steel for 250 and an articulated arm mount w/ a quick release dovetail plate to the mounting brkt. I'm a lot happier altho too cheap to pay 50 bucks for the thing in the first place.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie and Claude View Post
Converting front gaucho to 2-person dinette and, therefore, 'losing' small shelving unit (nestled between stovetop and front window). Was wondering about using a TV ceiling mount installed upside down...screwing it into the new wood-framed/topped bench seat. TV is 19" screen / 14 lbs. Anyone see any reason this would NOT work?

The stand we are considering is: Amazon.com: VideoSecu Swivel Tilt Ceiling Mount for most 15Inch - 32 Inch LCD Monitor Flat Panel Screen LCD LED TV Displays ML404B M07: Electronics
I have mine installed with an upside down under counter mount and I am happy with the way it works but I would be more weary of trying it with the mount you link to.

The one you are considering if used upside down will place the load of the TV at the end of the stick as far from the mounting surface as it can be.
The mount I used places the load of the TV as close to the mounting surface as the TV size will allow thus providing a much lower mounted center of gravity of the load.

OmniMount 75/100FD--Under-Cabinet Flip-Down LCD TV Mount at HSN.com

As you can see this looks a lot sturdier to me and I feel a lot better with this type of mount than one that is extending the load in the air for no good reason. If used as designed either will suspend the TV with no real difference other than the ability to further adjust the height in the one I used but once flipped over the whole thing changes in ways the mount is not designed for.

Hope this makes sense?

Ed
Old 09-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #19

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Thanks Ed. The link didn't work but imagine it is the same as: Amazon.com: OmniMount 75/100 FD Under Counter Flip Down Flat-Panel Mount: Electronics

If so, the problem is that I don't have a cupboard or shelf to hang it from--only over the sink/stovetop and that isn't something I would consider. So...back to the drawing board...Guess the other option, as we sleep with our heads at the closet end of the bed, would be to build a narrow shelf at the foot of the bed.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie and Claude View Post
Thanks Ed. The link didn't work but imagine it is the same as: Amazon.com: OmniMount 75/100 FD Under Counter Flip Down Flat-Panel Mount: Electronics

If so, the problem is that I don't have a cupboard or shelf to hang it from--only over the sink/stovetop and that isn't something I would consider. So...back to the drawing board...Guess the other option, as we sleep with our heads at the closet end of the bed, would be to build a narrow shelf at the foot of the bed.
Like I said I use it inverted too upside down mounted on a shelf which is exactly what I thought you were asking?