Cheap foam mattress and sheet mod - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Cheap foam mattress and sheet mod

Hi Everyone,
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1404993716.775700.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	73485Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1404993744.905243.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	73486Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1404993770.583821.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	73487Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1404993798.426813.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	73488
Floyd inspired my creativity to improve the comfort of my Scamp dinette bed, but I went the cheap route.

1. Full size bed foam mattress cushioning. At Walmart around 17 bucks. Lay out on cushions, mark with sharpie and cut with scissors to fit.

2. Twin size flat sheet. Lay out over pre cut foam, pin first and then cut and sew to fit, leaving around 4 inches or so to wrap around back of foam. You must pin in gathers around rounded edges, and make pockets at long side ends of sheet ends. This is where foam will "fit into".

3. After sewing, lay foam cushion over sheet, ribbed side down. Tuck in ends of foam into premade pockets.

4. Industrial white Velcro pieces go in corners of sheet, adhering long sheet sides to bottom short ends. Do not attach to foam. Sheet only.

5. I also made a long sheet strap for the back of the cushion and velcroed that to the sheet as well to act as a sort of brace.

Hope I explained this ok! Cheap and cheerful and a great nights sleep!

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:15 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Cheap foam mattress and sheet mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Hi Everyone,
Attachment 73485Attachment 73486Attachment 73487Attachment 73488
Floyd inspired my creativity to improve the comfort of my Scamp dinette bed, but I went the cheap route.

1. Full size bed foam mattress cushioning. At Walmart around 17 bucks. Lay out on cushions, mark with sharpie and cut with scissors to fit.

2. Twin size flat sheet. Lay out over pre cut foam, pin first and then cut and sew to fit, leaving around 4 inches or so to wrap around back of foam. You must pin in gathers around rounded edges, and make pockets at long side ends of sheet ends. This is where foam will "fit into".

3. After sewing, lay foam cushion over sheet, ribbed side down. Tuck in ends of foam into premade pockets.

4. Industrial white Velcro pieces go in corners of sheet, adhering long sheet sides to bottom short ends. Do not attach to foam. Sheet only.

5. I also made a long sheet strap for the back of the cushion and velcroed that to the sheet as well to act as a sort of brace.

Hope I explained this ok! Cheap and cheerful and a great nights sleep!

Wendy

Wendy,
Thanks for the idea! Great workmanship! Cheap and a good nights sleep really go good together! They can not be beat!
Carl
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #3

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Wendy, thanks for sharing this wonderful idea!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:10 AM   #4

Name: Steph
Trailer: Perris Pacer 13'
California
Registry
Thank you Wendy for the instructions! I saw those foam mattresses at Walmart just the other day, I thought they were nice as they didn't take up too much room (and the price was right!).
ratty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #5

New York
Registry
Thank you all for your kind words. I'm glad to finally be of help to others after all I've learned from you all here!

Yes, cheap, cheerful and comfortable!

Sincerely,
Wendy

Old 07-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I too had seen those foam mattress pads and wondered if they might be an alternative. Appreciate you sharing your results.

Since you made it nice and pretty it will be much easier to sell DW on the whole idea. She has to make the covers after all. I'm plumbing, structural and electrical only. Division of areas of responsibility keeps me from making ugly but functional.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:12 AM   #7

New York
Registry
RogerDat, I'm a function person too. I came up with the idea and asked my mother to do the sewing on the sheet. She's quite the seamstress. I could have done it but it would have looked like....ICK.