Chuck box - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #1

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Chuck box

I've been thinking about building one of these for quite a while now - so I finally did it. Took it to Edisto Beach State Park (South Carolina) over the past weekend. The weather was great and the chuck box worked as intended
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0169.jpg   IMG_0170.jpg  

IMG_0171.jpg   IMG_0175.jpg  

Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Wow! That's a beauty! I see a coffee pot on top and a toaster oven inside. Is the burner stove a separate table that you bring along? It's hard to tell from the photo. The campground must be spectacular if the number of conch shells is any indication!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #3

North Carolina
Registry
The table is a basic plastic topped fold-up. I've made cutouts in the top for the stove and a sink. The whole set-up makes a handy outdoor kitchen. The attached pic may show it a bit better.

Edisto is a great little beach! The conch collection is outside of the park, a bit further down the island on a preserve where shell collecting is not allowed. The off shoot is that beach goers at the preserve decorate driftwood with a variety of shells. It's a fun place to visit.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0112.jpg  
Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have the same table ( I think - sure looks familiar ) and it weighs a ton all by itself.
Have you weighed yours and all the appliances?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #5

North Carolina
Registry
Glenn, you probably do have the same table, they're ubiquitous! And yes, it is hefty. I'm not sure I even want to know what it all weighs - the knowledge might lead to spending $$$.

(At some future date I plan to replace it with a lighter, aluminum framed unit)
Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I leave mine at home because of the weight. I have a folding aluminum table of the same dimensions and I don't recommend it either. The table top is some sort of pressed cardboard with a plastic coating. It sags under its own weight, becoming a light weight swimming pool in the rain.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #7

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I was looking for a chuckbox also to provide organization and storage for some of my cooking gear. During my research, I found what is called a CampMate chuckbox. It was discontinued about 7 years ago, but I was able to find one on Craigslist for a reasonable price. It is not too heavy or unwieldy and holds an amazing amount. The top of the unit can be used as a sink.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #8

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Steve & Jana, WOW great Job on your chuck wagon set up. Hany especially on a long stay. Alice Love the CampMate! They should still be making these.
This is the set up I use, Then have another set up for week long stays.
Got the table at yardsale for $12. what a find.
Attached Thumbnails
KitchenE.jpg  
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:01 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Chuck box

Nice looking camp kitchen and chuck box. Any problem with raccoons?
Old 03-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Those Campmates are rare and desirable. We have an old plywood homemade chuck box that came with a used popup we bought in the mid 70's. Still have it in our 2nd popup, a '73 Starcraft. For our winter snowbird site we have one of those folding tables with the hanging storage pouches underneath. There's a company making aluminum chuck boxes in a couple different sizes. Nice but expensive!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #11

Name: robert
Trailer: parkliner
Michigan
mounted to the back

nice setup, sure to make friends at breakfast time.
at first i though the box was mounted to the back of the trailer, perhaps to a rear hitch mount like for a bike rack. That may be an interesting setup, like a teardrop, if you could get it road worthy!
bbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #12

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
There is a Campmate Chuck box on Ebay now @ $98.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
And another over $200!! 3 days bidding left on the $98 one?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #14

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Love the wings over the round window. Hermes would be pleased.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #15

Name: Jay
Trailer: former class c now an egg hunter
New York
I too have a Dosko Campmate! I found it last year on Craigslist in So CA for $100. Shipping was $40 to NY.

Ebay is ridiculous and they often go for $300. Thrift shops and garage sales are other places to search. One lady found it for $15.

I love my Campmate!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #16

Utah
Registry
I saw about 4 Campmates on Craigslist when I was looking most were 200-300$. Got mine from a fella in Mesa AZ who was heading to Quartzsite, same as me. We met there and I got it for $75. Because they are coveted, I put mine on the table when I use it and while in camp. But button it up and stick it in the SUV at nite or when I'm away. The company who mfgd. them sold out to another company. The new company dropped the line and just focused on other things hunting. I think it is patented. Too bad someone like Coleman, Cabella's, REI, or Bass Pro Shops couldn't buy it and have it produced for them. It's a heavy duty plastic material and is rugged. A camp stove can be put on top on the inside also.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #17

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
I saw about 4 Campmates on Craigslist when I was looking most were 200-300$. Got mine from a fella in Mesa AZ who was heading to Quartzsite, same as me. We met there and I got it for $75. Because they are coveted, I put mine on the table when I use it and while in camp. But button it up and stick it in the SUV at nite or when I'm away. The company who mfgd. them sold out to another company. The new company dropped the line and just focused on other things hunting. I think it is patented. Too bad someone like Coleman, Cabella's, REI, or Bass Pro Shops couldn't buy it and have it produced for them. It's a heavy duty plastic material and is rugged. A camp stove can be put on top on the inside also.
The new company is Plano.. Fishing tackle, gun cases etc. They don't apparently feel the "need" exists to produce them again. That's why the prices are so high! Unless you, and you were, lucky to find a deal!

There is another company that has a similar one called beaver tree. But Campmate appears to be better quality.

What do you mean.....other RV's appropriate items left in plain view? Noooooo!

Nothing that I have.....is worth your life!
Old 03-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #18

Utah
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
The new company is Plano.. Fishing tackle, gun cases etc. They don't apparently feel the "need" exists to produce them again. That's why the prices are so high! Unless you, and you were, lucky to find a deal!

What do you mean.....other RV's appropriate items left in plain view? Noooooo!

Nothing that I have.....is worth your life!
I sent a question to Coleman, and asked why they don't produce them. It would be inline with their products. Wonder what the actual market would be for them? Fantastic for tailgating too.

Unfortunately, it only takes one bad apple to spoil things for the rest of us. Thankfully, they are far and few between. Someone once said locks don't deter thieves, it just keeps honest people honest.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #19

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
I sent a question to Coleman, and asked why they don't produce them. It would be inline with their products. Wonder what the actual market would be for them? Fantastic for tailgating too.

Unfortunately, it only takes one bad apple to spoil things for the rest of us. Thankfully, they are far and few between. Someone once said locks don't deter thieves, it just keeps honest people honest.
Fantastic all around I believe. I searched for two years for mine. I still look for them because someone is always looking for one! One mans junk is another's treasure.

I'm a gadget kind of person..always looking for neat camping ideas..not to be confused with a hoarder!

I sent one to Plano......never heard back!