"Clips" on Scamp Gravel Shield - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #1

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
"Clips" on Scamp Gravel Shield

OK, surely there have been improvements to Scamp's use of the goofy clips to secure the gravel shield for traveling down the road.

The little carabiner type clip rattles like crazy.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Wink

We have an Amerigo, and are also really looking for some kind of decent hold-down arrangement--what they have now are simply screws, screwed all the way in. They don't rattle, but are a real bother to take out so we can open the window. Would like to find something like the thing that holds a porthole closed that can be easily turned, and opened, without having the hold down come away from the frame entirely, probably to be lost -- probably by me.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #3

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Not very sure what kind of 'clips' you're talking about. Scamp has for years used the standard galvanized window screen clips & 'toggle latches' for the gravel shield hold downs. When I bought my '84 Scamp 13 several years ago the original (I assume) hardware on my trailer was so rusty & corroded that I just ordered new galvanized hardware online (I wanted to use stainless but couldn't find exact replacement that I was willing to pay the asking price for ), & fabricated some 'props' from PVC pipe & cotter pins so we can use the shield as a sun shade when parked. I replaced all the old, rusted hardware along with the rubber seal for the window. If you use a little spray wax on the new hardware it doesn't rust as fast... The old, rusted hardware & fasteners was kinda loose & did rattle some but I attached the new stuff so it's pretty tight & holds the shield securely with no rattles.
Attached Thumbnails
Copy of IMG_3930.JPG   IMG_5107.jpg  

IMG_5106.jpg   IMG_2876.jpg  

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #4

Michigan
The rain stopped and I was able to take a good photo of the subject matter at hand. In the future, I'll refrain from posting until I have the photo ready to upload. My bad.

As stated, they look like carabiner clips used as a safety clip by Scamp. They flailed wildly around all the way home in the air turbulence. These look to be something sewn onto a strap for a small handbag or similar. While they WORK in the strictest utilitarian sense, the loose rattling, flailing action was highly concerning. The also beat some pretty good marks into the hardware in 600 miles.

BTW (No, suggesting that one can "hear" them rattle inside the TV was hardly the point.)
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1772.jpg  
Old 11-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #5

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
I have seen two different Scamps with a bungee stretched between the two clips to keep the clamp from popping open while keeping tension on the bungee to stop it from rattling.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfick View Post
The rain stopped and I was able to take a good photo of the subject matter at hand. In the future, I'll refrain from posting until I have the photo ready to upload. My bad.

As stated, they look like carabiner clips used as a safety clip by Scamp. They flailed wildly around all the way home in the air turbulence. These look to be something sewn onto a strap for a small handbag or similar. While they WORK in the strictest utilitarian sense, the loose rattling, flailing action was highly concerning. The also beat some pretty good marks into the hardware in 600 miles.

BTW (No, suggesting that one can "hear" them rattle inside the TV was hardly the point, although I see that particular post was deleted.)
Are they using those to lock the bottom clip closed? I use a simple hairclip cotter pin for that. Have been meaning for years to look for an actual tiny Carabiner at REI that would be easier to put on and take off than the cotter pin. They often have tiny ones near the check out area. Although to be honest the clips shut so tight on mine I do not think having something to secure them closed is actual really necessary.

On the top I added a couple of small metal hose clips to keep the top secure and allow me to swing it up and prop it open with PVC as Harvey has without it failing off.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #7

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Are they using those to lock the bottom clip closed? I use a simple hairclip cotter pin for that. Have been meaning for years to look for an actual tiny Carabiner at REI that would be easier to put on and take off than the cotter pin. They often have tiny ones near the check out area. Although to be honest the clips shut so tight on mine I do not think having something to secure them closed is actual really necessary.

On the top I added a couple of small metal hose clips to keep the top secure and allow me to swing it up and prop it open with PVC as Harvey has without it failing off.
Carol, yes. They're using them as safey clips, that is all. Just doesn't seem the best product. Didn't really notice them in the "pick up" room at Scamp, but did on the way home. I could see them flailing around in the rear view mirror. When I checked on them at the first stop, I admit to being amazed, to be honest.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #8

Arkansas
Yeah, we're gettin' lotsa rain here today (& tomorrow, forecast says) so I can't take pix of my gravel shield hardware. When I fabricated the PVC 'props' for my shield I added a couple of small stainless 'hose clamps' to the upper 'clips' to keep 'em in place. The lower 'toggle latches' are tight enough that I don't worry too much 'bout 'em coming loose. If they should present that kind of problem I'll probably use the same 'cotter pins' that Carol uses, since I already have them to hold the PVC props in place on the lower latch 'catches'...
Old 11-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Frederick,
Glad you raised this question. I had to smile however. When we picked up our new Scamp and were being given the new owner's orientation by the very nice Scamp employee, he showed us the stone shield and the "clips". They were so cheesy I was certain that they had to be temporary - that Scamp must have run out of their standard clips and gone to the Backus hardware and picked these up to provide something to get the customers home. I made some sort of joke to that effect, asking when they would be mailing us the real ones. Seeing the embarrassment on the employee's face, I immediately realized my mistake and had to apologize.

I've tried several alternatives but have yet to find anything I'm satisfied with. There must be a good solution but it is apparently not as trivial as I initially assumed.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #10

Michigan
Well, I took them off for the photo above, WDavidG, and they're staying off. Being reasonable heavy and metal they were gonna beat the tar out of the bracket they were supposedly intended to keep "safe". LOL

Geeesh at least use high tension plastic or something that doesn't beat the crap out of a brand new trailer. Weird use indeed. Just a head scratcher. I threaded small cable tie, zip tie temporarily until I figure something out.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I have only put about 2200 miles on my Scamp but so far I have not noticed a problem. You could try this highly technical solution. it takes a few seconds longer to apply than using the clips, but it guarantees no rattle.

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #12

Arkansas
The 'clips' pix posted by bpfick appear to be common 'harness snaps', usually made of some kind of cast 'pot' metal. Yeah, they'd be heavy, & probably not as durable as they appear. When I bought my '84 Scamp 13 in early 2011, it was essentially a 'basket case' with no cushions inside except the homemade kind with fabric stretched over pieces of foam & stapled underneath pieces of plywood. PO had been using it as a hunting/fishing camp. On the way home I noticed that the rusty toggle latches holding the gravel shield at the bottom were 'jiggling' & didn't look any too secure. I devised a temporary solution similar to TheWanderers post, wherein I took a short bungee & passed the hooks thru the 'latch eyes' to hold it 'til I got home. Worked for that period but in replacing the hardware with new galvanized stuff, I mounted it so that the latches would 'snap' into place securely, & they hold securely now.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #13

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I have only put about 2200 miles on my Scamp but so far I have not noticed a problem. You could try this highly technical solution. it takes a few seconds longer to apply than using the clips, but it guarantees no rattle.

Yup. Low tech and no beating or flailing in the air. Un-do a nut/bolt or snip a cable tie, neither are diffiult to do. High strength plastic split O-ring might also work and not require any tools, except for the occasional broken finger nail, to remove.

Tags
scamp