Closet shelves - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Closet shelves

First the search feature is a dud. I want to put some shelves in the closet of my Egg Camper. For those of you who have done this by putting cleats on the walls, how did you attach them? What kind of adhesive did you use? Thanks
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Bob,
I put shelves in my EggCamper closet. Here's a link http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...per-39851.html .

I used 3M 4200 Fast Cure to attach maple blocks to the inside of the shell, then screwed the shelves to the blocks. I found that if I cut the reflectix insulation to the exact size of the blocks, I could just apply the adhesive to the blocks and stick them in place. The insulation actually kept them from slipping around.
Attached Thumbnails
LargeCloset-1.jpg   Mount Blocks.jpg  

LargeCloset.jpg  
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Use the Google Search feature of the search, it does a better job.
People have:

Used machine screw and nut with the white snap caps on the exposed head outside the closet. Snap caps available from scamp store used to cover rivets. Work fine with #8 machine screws, maybe even #10. This is what some folks do to replace all the rivets. I put my curtain rod brackets in this way with #8 stainless screws and brass hex nuts to match the brackets.

Poles that go top to bottom with wire shelves attached.

The 3M 4200 mentioned is a marine adhesive caulk with an excellent reputation.

Epoxy with various brands used, but there is some minor disagreement on using epoxy with FG. (Epoxy a potential search term)

3M makes a tape that people have used to attach solar panels and awning tracks with. Supposed to be pretty good.

fiberglass blocks of wood to wall (it's how the scamp front bunk wood mount is attached to wall. Generally called "tabbing" it's essentially using fiberglass cloth and resin like a tape.

Depending on the load you plan to put on shelves you could probably use rivets with snap caps from the outside into the wood. Drill a tight fitting hole through closet side into wood, when the rivet expands it will grip the wood.

Ikea shelving (as a search term) different folks have put shelving in from Ikea using different methods of attachement.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
When I made my shelves, I didn't attach them at all. I made a PVC ladder-thing that press-fit against the sides of the closet. Here's a link to the original post.

Good luck with your project!
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote