Closet venting? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
Closet venting?

Has anyone added something like this to the interior fiberglass closets to keep some airflow going all the time, even with the door closed?

Thoughts on mounting this very high near the ceiling or very low in the closet? I suppose one in each would be the best for a bit of cross flow, but don't really want to be chopping lots of holes.

2 in. White Round Soffit Vent-SM-RSV 2 at The Home Depot
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I installed soffit vents in the cabinet where our microwave sits, but added ducts to direct the fan-driven exhaust out of the cabinet. I'm not sure is you'd get enough circulation if you were relying on plain-old passive convection to move air through the closet.

What we did was to make new doors with punched metal panel inserts (available at Lowes & Home Depot) in them. They are easy to make and allow tons of circulation.
Attached Thumbnails
08Apr20 New Upper Kitchen Cabinet Doors (2) 640x480.jpg   ConstructionLayout1.gif  

ConstructionLayout2.gif   09Feb26BathroomDoorLEDLight.JPG  

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We had a vent installed near the top of our closet. That's fine for everyday camping, when the closet door opens and closes several times a day. It gets musty in the closet if the trailer sits for months. I now block the closet door (as well as the bathroom door) open to gain an inch or so of circulation. It helps a lot. No more musty closet smell, even with a lot of stuff in the closet in a small enclosed space.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote