Compact Jr Floor Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 02:35 AM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Hunter Compact Junior
Oregon
Compact Jr Floor Replacement

Hi All~! Finally got the Critter Cabin up to Portland to do some serious work. On the top of the list is replacing the flooring which is warped and rotted in several areas.

I know some of you have already done this, so I'm asking for advice - specifically:

1) What to use to weather proof the underside? Would regular exterior paint be sufficient?
2) Did you seal the edges of the wood where it met the fiberglass with butyl tape or latex to prevent ants and such from entering?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Kevin PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:27 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTE=
1) What to use to weather proof the underside? Would regular exterior paint be sufficient?
2) Did you seal the edges of the wood where it met the fiberglass with butyl tape or latex to prevent ants and such from entering?[/QUOTE]

Some people have used paint but other products that penetrate deeper would be better and don't forget the edges. It seems that most folks that end up with a rotten floor find that the cause was from water leaking inside through windows or vents. The exposed underside floor will dry fairly quickly. Others will chime in soon for you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #3

Trailer:
The guys on the teardrop forum all swear by Henry's Asphalt Emulsion though most also comment that applying it is not something to do in your best clothes.

Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
When I redid my Scamp I fiberglassed the floor sections at one time after trial fitting all over. The top, bottom and sides and the fiberglassed the floor to the sidewall.
I also sealed all of the many no longer needed openings etc and now I dare the bugs to get in (not really, but IF I can convince Connie (She Who Must Be Obeyed) then all is good).
The main cause for the rot in my opinion (at least with my Scamp) is leaks inside the the trailer and the water standing. I did not see anything I thought started on the bottom. However fiberglassing the whole thing should take care of it at a higher cost, however. I also sealed (glued) the floor down on the frame with construction glue to keep water from being trapped between the structure and the wood and to add stiffness.
I have used one part clear epoxy garage floor "paint" to good effect to seal the plywood I used elsewhere in my project. Two coats builds a good finish. If you thin it a little with some acetone it will soak into the wood better for the first coat.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote