Compact Jr. Winter rework session - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2007, 08:05 PM   #41

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
The rework session is rapidly drawing to a close!
Very nice, Ya know Olympia isn't THAT far from Portland... sure hope to see this trailer in person someday How about the Spring NOG???
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #42

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I'm eager to hear how the icebox insulation works. I could have stuffed insulation up around mine when I was putting the microwave in, but didn't. Wrapping it seems like a good idea.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:01 PM   #43

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Quote:
Very nice, Ya know Olympia isn't THAT far from Portland... sure hope to see this trailer in person someday How about the Spring NOG???
What Spring NOG?

Steve & I, and next to us Karen Langlois, just signed up for the July (Bandon) Oregon Gathering!

Tami, can you come? Would love to see your trailer's interior!

Steve did a great job making a decorative lamp for me out of a stained-glass moose, by the way. . .even made a little shelf for it in one corner of the Compact Jr.!

Cory
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:18 AM   #44

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
What Spring NOG?
You don't know? Why one of the most fun gatherings on the planet!

Check out the newest topic (it's been 4 days since the Fall NOG and we already have 19 trailers signed up)! Northern Oregon Gathering - Spring Event, April 25-27, 2008

and if you want to know how much fun we've had check out the Fall NOG here: Northern Oregon Gathering, Fall Event, October 12-14, 2007

This past NOG was our 5th gathering, and ya gotta check out the pictures Dave & Kathie put up here: Champoeg NOG

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:08 PM   #45

Trailer: Compact Jr
Another update. I hope you guys don't mind me blathering on and on here....

Here's the new tabletop. It's hollow-core; I made a frame out of 1 1/2 x 3/4 stock, with a routed recess to receive the upper and lower skins. Added a couple crossmembers to support the table leg socket, assembled the whole thing with lots of glue. I lucked out at the local builder's surplus store and found a piece of Formica which matches the colors in the upholstery. Just as sturdy as the old chunk of 3/4 plywood, and much lighter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New_table.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	10575

Here's a picture of the underside; I'm including it only because I was trying to describe the table leg and its socket to Tami up above and a picture is worth a thousand words. But, as I said, it's a common piece of hardware and Tami probably has seen one already.

Name:	New_table__Bottom_.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	10576
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #46

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
No Problem with updates----Keep them coming. Thats how we all learn.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:19 AM   #47

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Please don't stop showing us your work. I'm pickin' up some great ideas.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #48

One last update (although I suspect Sis will keep coming up with new ideas until Thanksgiving, when she's scheduled to pick it up )

Sis was concerned that once during a meal yellowjackets had shown up at her table, and so she wanted to seal off any yellowjacket entry points. She determined that the canvas top boot was sagging away from the inside of the pop-top at the corners, so she had me make some little metal strips to push the canvas up tight against the inside of the pop-top. Here's a pic of one, installed:

Name:	Canvas_holder.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	10788

I also used two-sided foam tape to secure the long straight sections of canvas to the inside of the pop-top. Whether it'll completely eliminate flying insect intrusions or not is anyone's guess; but it ought to help.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:45 PM   #49

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Steve,
I like your solution. The factory top had a 1" x 1" piece of open cell foam in each corner to fill the gap. Don't know how long they will hold up.
Tom Trostel
Old 11-08-2007, 01:31 AM   #50

Quote:
Steve,
I like your solution. The factory top had a 1" x 1" piece of open cell foam in each corner to fill the gap. Don't know how long they will hold up.
Tom Trostel
Tom: Open cell foam? And Donna D. thought my FOOD had fungi in it!
Of course, maybe Texas is drier than Seattle--sometimes.

Bobbie, did you ever get your answer about where to get the kind of microwave I got at a garage sale? The original box was with it, stamped "K Mart".

Now guys & gals, thanks for giving Steve some nice feedback. I could tell he really DIDN'T want to do any prevent-bugs-from-entering-the-pop-top project. But with my bugging him enough with ideas on how to do it (pun unintented), he succumbed.

(In fact, he got busy as a bee with it. What a honey!)

Told my smallfiberglassRV buddy Karen about it & of course she was thrilled, as we certainly had a lot of bees in the bonnet--er, poptop--last time we ate in Jr.! We had to eat in her double-walled Burro instead. (The picnic table was absolutely out of the question.)

Cory, Steve's lucky sister
Old 11-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #51

Registry
Quote:
Bobbie, did you ever get your answer about where to get the kind of microwave I got at a garage sale? The original box was with it, stamped "K Mart".
I realized your space for a microwave in the Compact Jr is longer than mine in the Campster. I found a GE model that fit where the Target model that didn't work well had been. It works very nicely there.

Interesting about the bees- I have holes in the poptop but only had wasps try to nest under the fiberglass frame of it, not go through into the trailer. I kept it up a lot last summer to air out the trailer so they had ample opportunity.

Bobbie
Old 11-10-2007, 11:57 PM   #52

Quote:
....with my bugging him...

...busy as a bee...

...What a honey...

Okay, for those atrocious puns, I'm adding $10 to your bill!
Old 02-01-2008, 02:36 AM   #53

Quote:
Okay, for those atrocious puns, I'm adding $10 to your bill!

Steve:

How's this for the fall 2008 rework session? A folding step at the entryway! Folds up when not in use, thus preserving the clearance, since the axle's been flipped already to get the Compact Jr. over ruts, etc.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #54

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
OK, here's ANOTHER one of 'da GUYS chirping up...one of the select & rare Compact II, Hunter I and Compact Jr owners!
First of all, add me to the list of Steve's rapidly growing sibling family! Hey, I can do Christmas! Hope Cory will allow all of us to get into thata never ending ever growing line, behind her Compact!
Steve,
Any RV place sells cheapo door fasteners. I've got them on my Compact and can show them to Cory if she's down at the NOG meet in April, or when we all might Compact Caravan up to the Ft. Langley meet in early May (week after the NOG). Damn, wish Tom & his beautiful wife could come up to that sweet small meet and show off their beautiful renovated Compact Jr. as well as show off the southern accent!
I loved the porch light and will show it to my friend Mark, he's been incredible in helping re-wire my Compact II.
Also, for the laptop idea:

I'm installing a lightweight under the counter/cabinet Sony CD/stereo/clock player. My idea is to cut a very thin slat...maybe 1/2" into the top section of the closet (on the side bordering the bed/dinette), then slide in a very thin 3/8" lightweight wood rectangle all the way until it abuts the other side of the closet, right above the clothing rod (so it doesn't disturb ANYTHING the closet is there to do for me). Put something into the wood (not sure what the part is called...maybe a right angle plastic something...can't hurt the closet to screw into it, where you would impact the integrity of the fiberglass, if you wanted to screw something into the quilted fabric liner, to hold something that's maybe 5 pounds max (the Sony stereo/cd). All I have to do is plug the 110 volt into the plug receptacle that's right smack on the light, already attached to the closet. I am so excited that I'll get to rock out to my MUZAK and not even have to get out of bed, at night, to turn it on and off! I missed the nice set-up I used to have in my pristine '98 Casita Patriot Deluxe...but the Casita has the overhead fiberglass cabinets that it can't hurt the integrity of the fiberglass outside (no leakage as it might have when screwing holes into the outside of the trailer).
If anybody can add to my idea for my stereo system, please LET ME KNOW, as I want to get it done before I hit the road this April!
Barbara
PS I think Steve HIlby should come up to a meet, along with my electrical wizard, Mark, and put on a class/SHOW! Tom & Chuck would also be GREAT as teaching partners in that class!!!
Good luck to ALL of us in our new world of ADAPTATIONs.
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #55

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe

ok----------after reading all about all these marvelous things done by steve hilby i have one question-------------is he single?????
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #56

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Only if I don't get there first
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #57

Golly!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #58

Registry
I have to resurrect this post to ask how the icebox insulation worked out.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #59

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
2012 Resurected COMPACT II thread!!!

Bobbie,
A few years back, I asked my friend to re-insulate my original ice-box. He told me that once he'd taken it out, he could see that there wasn't enough space to add enough insulation to make a REAL difference in keeping the ice colder for a longer period of time. So we canned that idea. I decided to have him modify the ice-box spot, by placing an Igloo Cooler (120/with converter to 12V) into its' place. They used to cost about $125, when they first came out and are much more reasonable now, since Coleman and others have duplicated the idea.
I love it. It's MUCH cheaper than a 2 or 3-way fridge and looks and works just like a fridge. It opens just like a regular fridge, from it's spot in the wood panelling. The really great thing about this adaptation is that it can have multiple uses, as it's portable. I have it sitting next to me in my Subaru, while on a long driving trip, and can reach in for an ice cold soda or cold fruit or pre-made sandwhich, without even pulling over to the side of the road. It goes on other trips, while without the trailer...picnics, fishing, etc and I can run it off an inverter, if it's needed to stay cooler.

(This paragraph was split into its own topic)
Barbara
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I have to resurrect this post to ask how the icebox insulation worked out.
Last season Sis reported that the ice lasted a lot longer, so I'm figuring it's a win.