Composting Toilet for Casita Spirit Deluxe - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #61

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Love it, thanks!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #62

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardlady View Post
it appears this alien (my German is better than my English - sorry!) used an inappropriate term...
We like y'all aliens, and the mental image of "decant the [composted] poop" is entirely fun!

Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:04 PM   #63

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardlady View Post
it appears this alien (my German is better than my English - sorry!) used an inappropriate term: what I was trying to say is that I carefully transfer the contents of one container into another, without spillage etc.
Turns out, the word "decant" really is applied specifically to liquids - whereas the contents of my poop bucket are more the consistency of potting soil

Please, no need to apologize. I think that everyone will agree that we all are in need something to smile about considering COVID-19 and its impact on the world. A little humor at your expense is much appreciated and needed.

My hat is off to you for your multi-lingual skills. I do well to speak English. As I approach the "golden years", I am learning a new language called gibberish.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:08 PM   #64

Name: Eva
Trailer: Scamp 13 plus home-built
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomcat316 View Post
We like y'all aliens, and the mental image of "decant the [composted] poop" is entirely fun!

thanks, guys - my "apology" wasn't entirely in earnest
like the lady says: we are all in this s&*t together, may as well laugh together when we can!
boardlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:07 PM   #65

Name: Bobby
Trailer: In the market
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post

My reason for avoiding the C-Head was that the churning of the waste is horizontal. The horizontal churning requires a lot more churning to fully mix the waste in my opinion. I suspect this is the reason that the C-Head requires one to churn the waste 15 or more times. The Natures Head on the other hand uses vertical churning and quickly moves the waste through out the medium. If I understand correctly, the Nature's Head only requires a churning of about 3 or 4 times to achieve the same results

From my research, I believe that the C-Head is easier to clean..
Actually the C-Head (and the other popular choices) are more akin to "dry dessicating" toilets (than true "composting" toilets); that is, dessicating toilets separate liquids and solids and dry the solids, preparing them for further decomposition/composting. Kinda sorta like a big cat litter box (if you could only teach your cat to first pee in a bottle!)

This is what I actually like best about the C-Head. It's doesn't over-churn the solid waste: it simply tumbles it within a dry medium like sphangum peat moss, cocoa coir or wood shavings to neutralize odor and to set it up for composting (or disposal). That is why it empties/cleans so easily. And the horizontal crank? To me that sounds much easier than leaning down the side of the unit (in most likely a tight space) to crank...
Ease of disposal, minimal cleanup, simplicity... These are the key things I'm looking for, not the least of which is saving water when boondocking, which in the end is a pretty good reason.

Yeah, to me I say it's at least worth a shot.
MontclairBobbyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:57 AM   #66

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomcat316 View Post
...A huge step forward would be if a crossover RV or trailer manufacturer would include composting toilets as a factory option....

As was stated just a few posts above yours, Oliver Travel Trailers have a composting toilet as an option...
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:10 AM   #67

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Oliver Travel Trailers have a composting toilet as an option...
I was thinking more of a manufacturer with a larger footprint - I wasn't clear on saying this. Someone like Airstream, or Little Guy, with a dealer network and more production volume.
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:34 AM   #68

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgboro View Post
The same 2 or 3 that know little enough to compare an engineered compost toilet to an outhouse and have more than likely never seen a Nature's Head or an Airhead will continue their uneducated babble on this subject. Many thousands are in use in Rv's including Oliver and Airstream among others. I installed a Natures Head and plumbed the wet side to my factory black tank in my 2017 Casita. That some on here apparently aren't interested in extending the usefulness of their camper and boondock to areas I frequent on a regular basis is ok by me, I don't care how they camp and have no intention of telling them how to camp. I can say my personal experience with my Nature's Head has be a positive one and has less odor and maintenance than my factory toilet had. I have had numerous trips now that far exceeds 60 days with out any services and yet I still have all the ammonites of the factory set up. One trip to Alaska, Newfoundland and similar remote areas will show one the advantages of self sufficiency and bring a level of comfort that the factory set up cannot.
You can preach the virtues of a composting toiler forever and insinuate that those who do not see these virtues have diminished mental capacity to your blue in the face
Either system works and I see no advantage or increased simplicity or safety in either one
I for one will not invest my time and money in a project that I see has no tangible rewards or gains
You can call your waste disposal system whatever you wish but it’s still a overpriced, glorified plastic outhouse in my book

You are free to do what you wish with your human waste as long as you dispose of it properly and responsibly
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:57 AM   #69

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
As was stated just a few posts above yours, Oliver Travel Trailers have a composting toilet as an option...

A friend purchased the Oliver with a composting toilet a couple of years ago. Was back at Oliver this past Summer getting it removed, and normal black tank plumbing installed. Said they found handling a hose and pulling a lever more convenient than having to dump a urine bottle every few days. Making up the 'median" wasn't fun for them either.

Like millions of other things, "different strokes for different folks"
Jimmy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:17 AM   #70

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' Scamp
North Carolina
Last year I got my brand new 16" Scamp Layout 6 with the factory installed toiled (because no matter how hard I tried, they wouldn't just leave it out), removed it myself and put in a Dry Flush Toilet so it is much easier to go off grid.
Judi in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:27 AM   #71

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi in NC View Post
Last year I got my brand new 16" Scamp Layout 6 with the factory installed toiled (because no matter how hard I tried, they wouldn't just leave it out), removed it myself and put in a Dry Flush Toilet so it is much easier to go off grid.
That's disappointing to hear. Two years ago, when I ordered my 16' Scamp, I initially had the order written up with full toilet. It took one phone call to Jim, asking to delete the toilet, he agreed with no issue. Later that day, I received a new quote, sans the toilet. I would have been upset if they had refused.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:29 PM   #72

Name: terryjan
Trailer: 2005 17'Bigfoot CB Since Aug 2017
British Columbia
I agree with Bob.
Removed the toilet in our 17ft Bigfoot and replaced with portapotty. Use almost exclusivly to pee.
Much easier to empty in any public toilet. Some of the line ups at cleanouts are horrendous, especially National parks..
terryjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #73

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryjan View Post
Some of the line ups at cleanouts are horrendous, especially National parks..
Don't you have to line up to dump your gray? Edit- I see you are in Canada. Maybe they let you dump the gray on the ground there? Rarely permitted in US National parks.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:06 AM   #74

Name: terryjan
Trailer: 2005 17'Bigfoot CB Since Aug 2017
British Columbia
Actually most of our "boondocking" is a couple of days or rest areas between campsites which have hookups for our grey water.
We're pretty economical when off grid anyway. Use gallon jugs for water. always guaranteed fresh that way and hook up water at campsites. We don't use our shower at all. So we rarely have to worry about grey water tank.
terryjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #75

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' Scamp
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
That's disappointing to hear. Two years ago, when I ordered my 16' Scamp, I initially had the order written up with full toilet. It took one phone call to Jim, asking to delete the toilet, he agreed with no issue. Later that day, I received a new quote, sans the toilet. I would have been upset if they had refused.
It was many emails and calls back and forth and NO was always the answer. I did manage to get them to NOT glue down the carpet, but it was like banging my head against a brick wall just to get that one concession--they would NOT leave it out completely. Very, very frustrating, but I do love my little Scamp. Overall service is great--even though they had forgotten to put in the fan that was on my invoice and some of the screws on the microwave (which self-destructed on the trip home without them in) and they how quick they sent the replacement.
Judi in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:55 PM   #76

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryjan View Post
Actually most of our "boondocking" is a couple of days or rest areas between campsites which have hookups for our grey water.
We're pretty economical when off grid anyway. Use gallon jugs for water. always guaranteed fresh that way and hook up water at campsites. We don't use our shower at all. So we rarely have to worry about grey water tank.

That kind of is me too. As I said I can go several days on my tanks. Gray water at times is a problem. Have never really gotten close to a real problem with my black water. well except when I first was using the shower. To much of the shower water ended up in the black water tank even with the lid down. But put a bag over it now.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:31 AM   #77

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi in NC View Post
It was many emails and calls back and forth and NO was always the answer. I did manage to get them to NOT glue down the carpet, but it was like banging my head against a brick wall just to get that one concession--they would NOT leave it out completely. Very, very frustrating, but I do love my little Scamp. Overall service is great--even though they had forgotten to put in the fan that was on my invoice and some of the screws on the microwave (which self-destructed on the trip home without them in) and they how quick they sent the replacement.
I think I would have then cancelled the order and walked away - found a different company. Scamps are great, but for the money, you should be able to do something as simple as leave out the toilet. They would have had to come up with a satisfactory answer for me as to why they couldn't leave it out. Simply, because their employees are used to putting it in, would not have been sufficient.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:52 AM   #78

Tennessee
To be fair to Scamp, they sell all they can build. If you want a 13' it's Scamp or pay half again as much for the boutique brands. I can see that leaving out a toilet might require extra fiberglass work, maybe other delays and aggravations.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:35 AM   #79

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Since at least one person has gotten a factory toilet delete, it is all the more puzzling. It does sometimes depend on who you talk to at Scamp. No special modification is required. It’s a matter of not cutting the hole for the black tank drain through the shower pan and floor.

The work is in patching the hole if you do a post-purchase changeover to a separating toilet.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:42 AM   #80

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
I agree, but it was worth the work to me to be able to drain the wet side of the compost toilet to the black tank. I usually need to dump the gray tank and the black tank around the same time anyway and does away with the daily dumping of the small wet container that came with my Nature's Head.
lgboro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita