Converting bunk to dinette - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2022, 07:49 PM   #1

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 13' 1974 Boler
Nova Scotia
Converting bunk to dinette

We’re looking to change the bunk to a permanent dining option. Can we remove the top plastic-y part (in yellow) without any accommodations for the shell/frame, or is it a supporting piece like the closet by the door? We rent our Boler in a permanent campsite and it’s a lot of wear and tear for people setting the table up and down, and a two seater dinette would suit me better for future travel.
Attached Thumbnails
FE00EB01-B7DC-4011-A43A-6C69741B160C.jpeg  
BeatheBoler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:09 PM   #2

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: TrailsWest
Washington
Check out this thread for ideas.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ler-74893.html
Old 01-07-2022, 08:53 AM   #3

Nova Scotia
Thanks! I have seen that post. I’m confused by the various terminology though, about the bench and the cut out, and what is safely removable.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:02 AM   #4

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatheBoler View Post
Thanks! I have seen that post. I’m confused by the various terminology though, about the bench and the cut out, and what is safely removable.
I don't know Bolers, only scamps. In our scamp the floor under the bench is high at the two ends and low in the middle. This low section is referred to as a "cutout" or "porta-potty cutout" because people use that space to store their porta-potty. We use it as shoe storage. Having that cutout gives a nice low spot for your feet while seated in a dinette configuration so you don't have to raise the seating positions above the level of your existing couch.

If you have a cutout then you can easily tie the new seating structure to the old structural attachment points: wood embedded in the fiberglass shell on a scamp. I don't know it the boler is different. The idea behind using those existing attachment points is that they are already there and presumed to be secure. Also, a lot of structures in these little things tie together in ways that aren't obvious at first glance, so it seems that using the existing mounting points is less likely to leave other things unsupported or unsecured.

For our scamp the couch supports our bathroom wall as well as our screen door surround, so we would have to be careful to keep those supported. For others is may be less critical.

If you don't have a cutout then your seating will need to be raised to have a comfortable seating position. timing into the existing structural mounting points ma be much harder. It will take more planning and consideration and you may decide it is not necessary.

If you go the office chair route, which looks cool as all get out and really comfy, then you may want to place a trim board around the interior shell of the camper where the bench is attached to provided added rigidity to the front wall. I doubt it is needed, but I would sleep better knowing it was there if it were my trailer. It may be cool to make it a low shelf to place things on, but that would lead to my wife calling it cluttered.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:58 PM   #5

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatheBoler View Post
We’re looking to change the bunk to a permanent dining option. Can we remove the top plastic-y part (in yellow) without any accommodations for the shell/frame, or is it a supporting piece like the closet by the door? We rent our Boler in a permanent campsite and it’s a lot of wear and tear for people setting the table up and down, and a two seater dinette would suit me better for future travel.

I am doing just that at this very moment. No issues removing the front fiberglass as long as you still "tie in" the front. To avoid the shell spreading.
I have also raised the seating. Hope to have it finished for spring.
Attached Thumbnails
25.jpg   27.jpg  

Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 02:15 PM   #6

Nova Scotia
By tie in do you mean connect one piece so it’s not two totally separate seats? I see you have a skinnier piece between the seats, I’m thinking that’s what you mean, so there’s continuous connectivity around the whole curve? Thanks for the photos, they’re super helpful to see in progress.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:32 PM   #7

British Columbia
Yes, To help it keep its shape.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:19 PM   #8

British Columbia
I have also made the bed 54". Cut down the closet and counter.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:52 PM   #9

Name: Brad
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Alexandria
Any pics of the cutouts for the larger bed? Or is that in another thread? Interested in doing the same!
Alohah3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:07 PM   #10

British Columbia
54" bed. One more to come
Attached Thumbnails
020.jpg   021.jpg  

022.jpg   23.jpg  

Old 01-07-2022, 07:09 PM   #11