Converting dinette into a "U" with more accessible storage. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #41

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I just might have to make one of those sliding tables myself, thanks for the pics.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #42

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
what are you doing with the old lights Peter?
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:02 AM   #43

Registry
you must be one of those ppl that wakes up in the middle of the night and has to keep a note pad by the bed to empty your brain onto so you can get back to sleep? Scamp should have you on their design dept. payrole. bravo!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #44

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
what are you doing with the old lights Peter?
We had six of the original Scamp lights and gave a few away to some friends. The rest we are keeping until we either install them in our Surfside trailer project or decide we want some other kind of lights there. That'll be a while off; we plan on starting work on the Surfside next year after I complete the remaining "big ticket" projects in the Scamp 5er.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #45

Registry
thanx Peter. I did find one on the internet to order.
I'm going to keep looking to see if I can find a more modern looking one tho.
I only need one so I may also go for a socket conversion.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #46

Registry
Quote:
thanx Peter. I did find one on the internet to order.
I'm going to keep looking to see if I can find a more modern looking one tho.
I only need one so I may also go for a socket conversion.
I think there'll be 1156 warm white bayonet base LED "bulbs" out soon. That would simplify converting them to LEDs.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:43 AM   #47

Registry
I just finished adding a "backlight" to our fresh water tank. If you followed this topic you might remember I installed a "thermometer-like" viewing window in the face of one of our dinette benches so you could see the water level in the fresh water tank under the bench seats. The idea didn't work out as well as I had planned -- there wasn't enough light in the tank to see the water in the tank.

This weekend I added an LED light strip that "backlights" the tank when I push a button next to our water pump switch. Now I can see the water level really, really well!

Click image for larger version

Name:	09Mar15_Fresh_Tank_Backlight_Shows_Water_Level.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	18514

I used a hot-melt glue gun to mount this 2-watt red LED light strip to the bottom edge of a scrap of pressboard (on the bottom edge so the light comes up through the water instead of shining down on it) and duct-taped the panel to the back of the water tank opposite the "thermometer" viewing window.

Name:	09Mar15_Fresh_Tank_Backlight_Panel.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	18515

Now I can see my fresh tank water level at the push of a button!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #48

Trailer: Compact Jr
Now that's a clever idea!
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:36 AM   #49

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
....... duct-taped the panel to the back of the water tank opposite the "thermometer" viewing window....
is the LED light panel running horzontal or verticle on the back side of the tank. If Horzontal.. are you saying you put light along the bottom edge of back side of the tank?
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #50

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Pete,
Interesting mod. I notice that you have tubes and wires going through holes in bulkheads. Please tell me that you grommeted all these locations to prevent the bulkhead from wearing holes in the tubes/wire insulation.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #51

Registry
Quote:
is the LED light panel running horzontal or verticle on the back side of the tank. If Horzontal.. are you saying you put light along the bottom edge of back side of the tank?
It's mounted horizontally to illuminate the bottom-most back edge of the tank. I did it that way so that the light gets trapped in the water, forcing it to act something like a fiber-optic cable and illuminate the front of the tank where the water is much better than further on up the tank wall where the water is not. If you ran it vertically you'd illuminate the "thermometer" viewing window much more evenly.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #52

Registry
Quote:
It's mounted horizontally to illuminate the bottom-most back edge of the tank. I did it that way so that the light gets trapped in the water, forcing it to act something like a fiber-optic cable and illuminate the front of the tank where the water is much better than further on up the tank wall where the water is not. If you ran it vertically you'd illuminate the "thermometer" viewing window much more evenly.
That's a good point. No, they're not grommeted, but the wire and piping is zip-tied into a tight bundle that runs through the center of the over-sized hole.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #53

Registry
This week new upper cabinets made of 1/4" birch plywood with pine and hemlock framing replaced the smaller & heavier cabinets from Scamp. The new cabinets weigh 4 pounds each without their doors; the old cabinets weighed 7-1/2 pounds each. The new doors are bigger than the old so they weigh only slightly less . . . but the best thing about them is the larger door openings make it easier to get things in and out of the cabinet.

From this

Name:	Countertop___Stove_Side__1_.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	20440

Yet to be decided is last "big" change inside our trailer, which is possibly adding a shelf or cabinet over the back window to span the distance between the two new white cabinets over the dinette.
Attached Thumbnails
09May24_New_Dinette_Upper_Cabinet.JPG  
Old 06-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #54

Registry
The last cabinet I'm building for out 5er is taking shape. This one spans the back of the trailer between the two left and right upper cabinets I installed last month.

The center opening is designed so it'll fit a board game and will have a traditional door like the ones I made for our other cabinets. The smaller side cabinets are going to be more challenging. They're meant to be open storage cubbies that Lynne and I can easily reach up to while sitting in the dinette without having to open or close a door, but we still need a way to close the cubbies off so their contents don't spill out while we're towing. A standard swing-type door won't work here, though, because it would block the swing doors on the side cabinets.

So I'm making an oak "roll" door, like you find on a roll-top desk. That way we can keep the cubbies open when we're camping without blocking the swing-up doors of the side cabinets but still close the cabinets off for towing (or to hide the mess inside).

Name:	09June22_New_Dinette_Upper_Cabinet.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	21125
Old 06-23-2009, 05:06 AM   #55

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Excellent idea with the "roller" doors. Will also look very appealing when they are closed.
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #56

Registry
The new dinette upper cabinet with its swing-up and roll-up doors. I still need to make a curtain rod.

Roll-up doors Closed:

Name:	09June27_New_Dinette_Upper_Cabinet_1.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	21213

Open:

Name:	09June27_New_Dinette_Upper_Cabinet_3.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	21214

(Sorry about the lousy view out the back window: Our trailer is parked at the storage yard right now.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #57

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Here I thought you had TWO trailers now.

Bill K
Quote:
(Sorry about the lousy view out the back window: Our trailer is parked at the storage yard right now.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #58

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Here I thought you had TWO trailers now.

Bill K
He does have two trailers Bill, just not that sticky you see through the window. Peter and Lynn bought a Surfside last year: Inaugural trip of a new-to-us Surfside If the 5er is any indication, Peter has some fine, fine mods going through his head for the Surfside
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #59

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
So I'm making an oak [b]"roll" door, like you find on a roll-top desk.
Class, today's vocabulary lesson is:
Tambour Door.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #60

Name: Garth
Trailer: Casita SD 17 - 1998
California
Thanks for all the great ideas!
Garth is offline   Reply With Quote