Converting dinette to full time bec - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #1

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Converting dinette to full time bec

We've decided to make the sleeping area a full time bed. We're removing the cooktop anyway and don't really see the need for the dinette. I'm thinking of having a piece of firm foam topped with a four inch memory topper. Does this sound like a good idea?
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
We dont use the any other foam. we just cut a 4 in fullsize memory foam topper to fit
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
we use a 5" thick piece of foam. Have never slept on memory foam, have heard it's not good if you move around much, and it gets stiff in cold weather. This is what we have been told, don't have any personal experience with the memory foam so other opinions may vary.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #4

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Permanent mattress for dinette

Go to www.northamericanmattress.com. I purchased the Everynight Road Deluxe for my 2011 Eggcamper. Check out pictures of my interior on this site.
Wayne Perpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Yes the memory foam is a tad bit warm to sleep on, and it does get hard when cold. When cold season camping we us electric mattress heater, and when it gets real cold out -32 it gets hard as a rock! As for movement of partner doesnt seem to be a problem, usually have to contend with elbows, knees legs arms ect before the movement in mattress is a problem! comfortable though for our use.....
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #6

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
You could get a higher end futon mattress. I have a real nice comfortable futon couch...the mattress was almost 300 dollars for a full sized...but its so comfortable.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you use a one piece mattress what are your plans to get into storage below?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #8

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
A futon or foam mattress can be sort of rolled up and have ratchet straps to crank it down to make it easier to take out of the trailer or to stick it in the bathroom if you need to get down below...

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I just use a 2" memory foam over the regular cushions and a quilted mattress cover over that. Its surprisingly comfortable. I haven't noticed any problems with it in cooler weather but I haven't camped with it below freezing & I do have a heater in the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote