ConwayBob's Scamp Website - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2006, 06:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Hi all,

Things are running smoothly on fixing up my Scamp. I've been busy, but have also been taking lots of photos of the work.

I thought I'd try my hand at making a webpage of all the stuff I'm doing on the Scamp so I made one on TRIPOD, couldn't beat the cost...FREE!

Anyway, please check it out...especially let me know if it don't work.

http://conwaybob.tripod.com/scamp/index.html

...and yes thats no typo, there's no "www" in the address.

Thanks,
ConwayBob
Old 04-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
That is quite a project you got yourself into. Looks like you are making good progress. I know you will be proud of it and enjoy it when you can camp in it.

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:56 PM   #3

Here's a Update:
Untill I can figure it out, the website is best found on "conwaybob.tripod.com/scamp/index.html"

Going to website without the "/scamp/index.html" will bring you to the Home page only, the additional pages don't load.....yet.

I ain't done with it yet...I'm still learning.

CB
Old 04-22-2006, 03:59 PM   #4

Quote:
That is quite a project you got yourself into. Looks like you are making good progress. I know you will be proud of it and enjoy it when you can camp in it.

Curt
Thanks Curt, I am enjoying it...I'm sitting in it right now typing out this message. I spent the night in it last nite too...right in my own backyard. (I used to camp out in my backyard when I was a kid...why did I ever stop?)
Old 04-24-2006, 07:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Ypur first http drove my pop-up guard crazy. The other one worked fine. I like what you've done to your trailer. What did you use on your stove top. Looks like new. I have used a spray -on oven cleaner cleaner to some success but I think you've found the secret.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:34 AM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Tripod is great one for popups... Even tho I use Geocities I dont think its quite as bad...

I do like the looks of the shower door, but privacy would be #1 concern. Those shower doors are heavy and would just add weight to the trailer ??... The trailer certainally is bright, clean and classy tho.
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Ypur first http drove my pop-up guard crazy. The other one worked fine. I like what you've done to your trailer. What did you use on your stove top. Looks like new. I have used a spray -on oven cleaner cleaner to some success but I think you've found the secret.
I used Steel Wool to knock down the corrosion, then used KRYLON Appliance Spray Paint. I used a "Hammered Metal" Paint...makes a good "Krinkled" finish.

I'm going to make a new homepage for the first one...it'll send you to the Scamp page other topics when I make it.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:31 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
You should try using Phosphoric Plus to remove the rust before painting. Phosphoric Plus is the same ingredent thats in 'Naval Jelly' only its a liquid. Works great on rusting frames.

Available at Home Depot and other home stores.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
So nice to look at some pics of things I am doing, too!! Our Scamp is an '78.

I sure am hoping my hubby will do the frame refurbish!!! I am working on the interior.

Yesterday, I washed the whole insides, the walls. I scrubbed with Kaboom, the curtain brackets- but they are going to need some Naval Jelly to get all the rust off, then I have some paint for them, instead of the scarey (to me)thought of drilling them out and replacing them, unless it's absolutely necessary.

I figured out to try some bathtub plastic and caulk strips around the windows- whatever had been there before, is gone.

I got as far as washing the inside of the upper cabinets above the stove yesterday- OH my gosh, was that dirty, and it has contact paper on the bottom which for some reason, the glue of it got sticky when I washed... I had to use some GoJo cleaner in there since the former owner had, like yours, stored stuff in it and there was some machine oil spilled in there. The GoJo hand cleaner worked great, but I am going to have to find some floor linoleum piece to cut to fit for the bottom of that cabinet!! I'll never get that contact paper all the way out I think.

I took off the stove top which was all corroded. I think I am going to use tractor paint to re-paint it! I figure if it holds up on tractors, it'll be fine on the stove top.

I have to take more pictures!!!!! And right now, my computer is giving me hysterics because for some reason, the driver for the camera connection simply disappears with each re-boot! So I have to go thru a bunch of rigamarole to transfer the pics to the puter!$#@*&

Well, enjoying your pictures!!!!!!!
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:08 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I took off the stove top which was all corroded. I think I am going to use tractor paint to re-paint it! I figure if it holds up on tractors, it'll be fine on the stove top.
You may want to reconsider and use a high-temp paint, the kind used on barbeques or engine blocks. Tractors don't get as hot as a stove. Some members have had the stove top powder coated too....many, many colors available.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
THANKs for that tip, Donna... Now I have to have just one more cuppa java, and get off of this computer and get to work!! Going to go to the local flooring place and see if they have some tiny flooring scraps for me to take. And go clean the bottom cabinets today.

Thank goodness I have some sons who are pretty talented- I really stink at spray painting- always end up with runs... I asked one of my sons would he do the stove top for me, he's really good at it. I can even ask them to buy the right sort of paint, they are always working on dirtbikes.
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Nice site, ConwayBob.

I used to know a guy from Conway...Jesse Willis. Funny guy with some great stories of the people in that area. Haven't heard from him in many years, though.

Your Scamp looks to have really been abused. But now it's in good hands. I look forward to seeing the photographs of the trailer when it's done.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Nice site, ConwayBob.

I used to know a guy from Conway...Jesse Willis. Funny guy with some great stories of the people in that area. Haven't heard from him in many years, though.

Your Scamp looks to have really been abused. But now it's in good hands. I look forward to seeing the photographs of the trailer when it's done.
Thanks Bob...I'll keep working on it and taking photos. Boy! I'm deep into my next snag.

I'm replacing most of the outside plastic fixtures, and right off I'll say this...I HATE RIVETS! Yes...I said it. I HATE RIVETS! There...I said it again!

The AC Power Cord Access panel wasn't really all that hard to replace...got all three rivets drilled out, and I got the panel replaced. All three new rivets broke off up on the rivet shaft. I had to use a Dremel Cutoff wheel to get them cut flush.

The fresh water fill port is another story... I HATE RIVETS!
The slight curve of the trailer body was enough to cause two of the three new rivets to pop back out. I'm going to glass in the existing rivet holes and start over.

I was sucessful in getting those neat-o dome shaped screens over the heater vent ports, and I actually had to let a Wasp out that I had trapped!

Oh well. It's all great materal for the website...

Thanks ALL for the kind words.

ConwayBob
Old 04-27-2006, 08:04 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hey I'm with you! I want to install new curtain rods, so I went to visit my cousin who builds tear drops comercially. Thought he would have a solution. Right? " Why not just use RIVETS?"

Same at Home Depot
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:16 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Bob, I have a few suggestions for your site:
1. Change the type from "grey on grey background" to something easier to read.
2. Change the red type on black background to white type.
3. Enlarge the type on the captions.
Regards, Garret
Garret Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Bob, I have a few suggestions for your site:
1. Change the type from "grey on grey background" to something easier to read.
2. Change the red type on black background to white type.
3. Enlarge the type on the captions.
Regards, Garret
Thanks Garret, I with you, I'm not crazy about the grey on grey font style, or the size of the caption font. I'm learning on how to change it, but all of what of what you see is part of the packaged style supplied by tripod. Like I said, I'm just starting to learn the ropes in modifying the html. Bear with me...I'm just starting out...I'm more likely to completely replace the style of the site before I'm done.

Thanks, and please check back again.

C.B.

UPDATE! UPDATE! I got things looking better now....the captions are larger and font colors have been "tweeked" Come check it out!

Tags
scamp