Cover all the cushions in Burro
with a discontinued heavy duty upholstery fabric we found at a discount fabric store. 7 cushions in all. We paid $9 per yard
and used about 12 yards
(not counting mistakes). The fabric was 56 inches wide.
If you're new to doing this a good move is buy more than you need to account for them mistakes. How much more depends on how many mistakes. We used an entire spool of strong thread, and I wanted piping trim on the top corners. The piping cost 30 cents per foot. To calculate this option run a tape to measure around your cushions' perimter. First I tried making separate piping with black cloth cut diagonally across the weave, like the good upholsterer guy in the store told me to do it, but got tired of the extra work and simplified things by simply enclosing the piping cord in the prime fabric. I was able to keep my lines straight because our fabric design has a geometric pattern of squares acting as guides. (A real blessing!) I also used a black marker on the backside of the fabric to indicate where to sew.
Once a cover is made and the cushion inserted if turns out too loose fitting go buy yourself some additional cushion batting and stuff it in there to plump out the slack.
I added velcro flaps on some of the cushions. On the big, long one for up front I put in a zipper. Others got sealed up sewn. Your call, there. I didn't know what I wanted so I tried it all.
The whole thing was -OJT- learn as you go. So, its not a pro job, and I may have broken the world's record for hiding mistakes, but from learning how to thread a sewing machine to jamming cushions into new shells, it was satisfying fun all the way......if you're an incurable do-it-your-bleepin'-selfer, like me, that is. And, of course, the price was right.
Will post pictures of installed work later on. Oh, Benny, that plastic bag trick worked great.