Covering or replacing twisted iron bars? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 1971 Boler 13 ft
I didn't like the look of iron either so I ended up replacing it with a wood frame that also supports a stainless backsplash and is mirrored on the other end of the countertop.

Russ

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4399.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	48631
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #22

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL View Post
I didn't like the look of iron either so I ended up replacing it with a wood frame that also supports a stainless backsplash and is mirrored on the other end of the countertop.

Russ

Attachment 48631
That is very nice. Love the sink/stove with covers!

I've considered loosing my kitchen drawer for a burner like that.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
That is very nice. Love the sink/stove with covers!

I've considered loosing my kitchen drawer for a burner like that.
You might not have to Dylan. I've been looking at those, and this one is only 3.56 in. deep.....

Smev 8000 cooktop hob
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #24

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post
You might not have to Dylan. I've been looking at those, and this one is only 3.56 in. deep.....

Smev 8000 cooktop hob
I'll do some measuring, I'd love the sleek look and extra food prep space!

Thanks for the link!
Old 07-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #25

Trailer: 1971 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post

Smev 8000 cooktop hob
That's the one I have. As you can see I never had a drawer to begin with so I don't know how much clearance there would be. I ended up building a drawer underneath the fridge when I installed it but that's obviously not as convenient as one on top.

Russ
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Quote:
I'll do some measuring, I'd love the sleek look and extra food prep space!

Thanks for the link!
No problem Dylan. But it comes at a price.... You have to let me/us know if it fits with the drawer!!!!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #27

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Am I the only one who actually LIKES the black twisty bars? My 2011 Scamp came with the white twisty bars. When I asked Jim (at Scamp) if I could get black bars he said they don't make them anymore and I could paint the white ones black. I generally find that home paint jobs are not successful. As time goes by I suspect that the black will chip and reveal the white underneath. If anyone wants to swap out their black twisties for white ones I'd like to talk with you. I would prefer that you live in Northern California (SF Bay Area) for ease of swapping.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #28

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Like this?
Looks too tall. Here is one currently on ebay that is 19" tall. Currently @ $1.00 and located on the west coast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	leglamp.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	48649

Or you could just use a fiberglass mannequin leg.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #29

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Dylan,
I too wanted a minimalist look and proceeded to remove the twisties. I replaced the ironwork with a single 3/4" square aluminum tube. I used 1/8" inch wall thickness which provides adequate rigidity to hold up my roof and cabinet loads. I tig welded a tab onto the top which fits under the cabinet flange at the top, and is held in place by a 3/16" diameter pop rivet which was removed from the original installation and re-installed to sandwich the new tab, cabinet flange and roof together. At the bottom I welded a similar tab screwed to the floor OSB. I cut out the fiberglass seat to accommodate the tube. (I actually removed the seat entirely to make the installation so the tab would fit thru without over cutting. I stroke sanded the aluminum tube to give a clean modern look. It came out great. I will try and post some pics when I get back home. PS. I did install temporary shoring to ensure the roof wouldn't sag while I removed the old supports. A weight savings was achieved with this mod too.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Actually the things are called Newels or Balusters:

Newels | Newel Post | Beautiful Newel Posts for Stairways - StairSupplies™

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #31

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Am I the only one who actually LIKES the black twisty bars? My 2011 Scamp came with the white twisty bars. When I asked Jim (at Scamp) if I could get black bars he said they don't make them anymore and I could paint the white ones black. I generally find that home paint jobs are not successful. As time goes by I suspect that the black will chip and reveal the white underneath. If anyone wants to swap out their black twisties for white ones I'd like to talk with you. I would prefer that you live in Northern California (SF Bay Area) for ease of swapping.
Gilda, you are welcome to my black ones once removed (I have some 1 1/4" dowels cut I'll be painting white). Perhaps you pay shipping? Or, at some point in the next few months I'll be rolling through Marin, Sausalito/San Rafael ish areas. Maybe you could pick it up? I'd love for it not to end up in landfill!

I guess it all depends on the style your going for. The twists, seem "homey", wrought iron, especially black just has a vintage vibe to it to me. But I'm going for simple and modern. But my major issue with the black twists from an aesthetic point of view is there is nothing else on my Scamp in that style. But don't mind me, I have a strong personal design sense, and it's not always appreciated by the masses.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #32

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Dylan,
I too wanted a minimalist look and proceeded to remove the twisties. I replaced the ironwork with a single 3/4" square aluminum tube. I used 1/8" inch wall thickness which provides adequate rigidity to hold up my roof and cabinet loads. I tig welded a tab onto the top which fits under the cabinet flange at the top, and is held in place by a 3/16" diameter pop rivet which was removed from the original installation and re-installed to sandwich the new tab, cabinet flange and roof together. At the bottom I welded a similar tab screwed to the floor OSB. I cut out the fiberglass seat to accommodate the tube. (I actually removed the seat entirely to make the installation so the tab would fit thru without over cutting. I stroke sanded the aluminum tube to give a clean modern look. It came out great. I will try and post some pics when I get back home. PS. I did install temporary shoring to ensure the roof wouldn't sag while I removed the old supports. A weight savings was achieved with this mod too.
Russ
I'd love to see pics! Sounds rather complex and awesome, I'd love an fabricated aluminum part!

But for now I have pine dowel from Lowes, 1 1/4" I think. Seems round and smooth. I'll be painting a bunch of woodwork white (hopefully glossy and somewhat matching the fiberglass gel coat) so I'll have the dowels painted then. I'll just put some wooden reinforcements behind the fiberglass above and below the dowels so they don't just end up punching round holes in my kitchen furniture! Then just bolts from top and bottom.

I was thinking brushed metal would be ideal, so who knows, I'm not committed to the dowels. Brushed metal to match the sink would really be nice. I hope to swap the stove for brushed metal or a flush mounted one with the glass cover if I can fit it. Now it's tan which other than the rat fur, nothing else in the trailer is.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #33

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Looks too tall. Here is one currently on ebay that is 19" tall. Currently @ $1.00 and located on the west coast.

Attachment 48649

Or you could just use a fiberglass mannequin leg.
OK, someone do this!!! It's not in keeping with my modern look. But someone with a more whimsical theme for their trailer really should incorporate the leg lamp!!!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #34

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbitWhitty View Post
I just took mine off. I don't think if you put anything crazy heavy in the upper cabinet you are going to have trouble. My dad is an engineer and said they are mostly there for looks. If you load up the cabinets, then yes, they might help a bit he said. Otherwise, just remove them. I did. I doubt the roof will cave in.
Not sure I'm comfortable doing that. Probably would be ok, but one big crack in roof would be very, very unpleasant to deal with. Not feeling like taking that chance.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #35

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbitWhitty View Post
I just took mine off. I don't think if you put anything crazy heavy in the upper cabinet you are going to have trouble. My dad is an engineer and said they are mostly there for looks. If you load up the cabinets, then yes, they might help a bit he said. Otherwise, just remove them. I did. I doubt the roof will cave in.
Whitney take a look at post #16 that trailer belong to a long time fiberglass trailer owner who said the same thing..... he is not the only one that I know of that has happened to...... there was nothing in the upper cabinets when the roof caved....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #36

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Whitney take a look at post #16 that trailer belong to a long time fiberglass trailer owner who said the same thing..... he is not the only one that I know of that has happened to...... there was nothing in the upper cabinets when the roof caved....
Thinking about just how flexible (or put another way, WEAK) I found my roof to be when I took off the old roof vent I think I'll take all the reinforcement I can get.

This describes the added roof support I put in to help take the flex and sag out.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post320054
Old 07-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #37

British Columbia
I'm curious what they use for reinforcement on roof AC equipped Scamp 13s. Because I sure hope those roofs are dramatically stronger than mine.

I'm curious is perhaps I have a factory second. My roof vent was very unstraight, the sag was pronounced when the vent was removed. I wonder if there was a weak spot in my roof and the strange vent angle was done to make the best of that defect. I'm happy with my reinforcement, but wonder if all Scamps have roofs that uneven and flexible.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #38

Name: Whitney
Trailer: 1995 Scamp!
California
I live in sunny Northern California and only camp in mild weather (no snow for me). Mostly beach camping. I'll take my chances...but thanks for the feedback. If the entire roof of the Scamp is held up by two twisted metal bars I've got more to worry about than I thought. Lol! If you don't live on the edge...you are taking up too much room. .
AbitWhitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #39

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
LOL Whitney the issue is that the fiberglass on most makes of fiberglass trailers is that its not very thick so it bends, so if you decide you need to fix something on the roof or wax the roof be sure not to put any weight on it. Also dont forget to tell who ever you sell it to in the future that you have removed them so they know not to put anything on the roof or take it anywhere near snow.

Here is another thread with photos of a cracked Bigfoot and a Scamp.

I am all for living on the edge - I help people do it 100 plus days a year which was made of the last time I did it, go to the 4:45 min mark to see just how far on the edge ...some of them are totally blind.... interestingly the first 4:45 min of the video is actually dedicated to those who help to make sure those who are living on the edge do it safely so they can live to do it another day.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #40

Name: Whitney
Trailer: 1995 Scamp!
California
Nice work! Between my rat fur and twisted bar removal you must think I'm a real Scampin' Rebel!
AbitWhitty is offline   Reply With Quote