Cubby hole shelving - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #1

Name: Louise
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Registry
Smile Cubby hole shelving

Tried to find a thread on this but didn't, but dollars to donuts someone has already done this…
So, I'm searching for ideas.……
I was wondering if anyone has put shelves into that little front area on the passenger side, between the wood door divider and the front of the 13' Scamp? That little cubbyhole area going from the bunk seat up to the ceiling. I would rather use that for small storage of paperbacks, bug spray, sunscreen, dog leash, etc.
Thanks all...
fiddlesticksfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
It might be a boler build I'm thinking of but I believe one of Robert Johans builds with a front kitchen has some ideas that would work for you.
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:05 PM   #3

Registry
When you talk about wood divider I assume you have a bathroom in that 13' trailer. One has to remember Scamp and a number layouts. Without knowing which layout you're talking about it's difficult to determine if it can be or ??
Old 03-25-2015, 06:22 AM   #4

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Since she mentions "bunk area", I don't think she has a front bathroom.

When you order the "screen door" option from Scamp, they put a wooden frame in
the door opening. The wood frame extends maybe 8" or so toward the the center
of the trailer. Since that frame makes a few inches of the sofa pretty unusable for
seating, we use that corner for storage.

One small difficulty is the under-cushion hatch that provides access to the storage
area under that side of the front sofa bench.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:34 AM   #5

Florida
Registry
Yes, that's the area I'm speaking of. The area between the screen door panel and in that dead couch space. No bathroom in my 13' standard, layout 1, as Ray assumed.
My thought was perhaps narrow shelving going up about 3 layers or so with the first shelf on the bottom being high enough to slide that front cubby hole open for access.
Thanks for info Fred, I'll see if I can find and check out Robert Johans photos.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #6

Florida
Registry
So…I just looked at over a 1000 pic's of Scamps and have discovered that that little area of the Scamp is the least photographed of any!!! And not a single view of what I was looking for. So, I'll just get started with my own idea and see how it works out. Worst that can happen is it becomes shelves for my home!
Old 03-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #7

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Take pics and post. It's obviously a needed resource. Look forward to seeing the results. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #8

Florida
Registry
Thanks Mark… I guess it is somewhat of a neglected area. This will be my second year traveling with my Scamp and last year I found that corner became a catch all for whatever so I'm hoping to give it some order. And although I'm far from being a carpenter, me and my scroll saw will give it a good try. I post pics!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticksfl View Post
Yes, that's the area I'm speaking of. The area between the screen door panel and in that dead couch space. No bathroom in my 13' standard, layout 1, as Ray assumed.
My thought was perhaps narrow shelving going up about 3 layers or so with the first shelf on the bottom being high enough to slide that front cubby hole open for access.
Thanks for info Fred, I'll see if I can find and check out Robert Johans photos.
Don't forget to leave room for the sofa back to flip up to become a usable bunk.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You mean like this? From the Moguland Boler! You'll note this was before flat screen televisions and very small electronics. But you can build what works for you, and that's all that matters.
Attached Thumbnails
Moguland-01.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #11

Florida
Registry
No problem Dave & Paula. I found I didn't use that upper bunk at all so I took it out and am storing it if I should change my mind or sell…I use bed shams/pillows for the back rest. BTW, I'm single and somewhat physically challenged so I need to limit the amount of bending and stretching I do. (changing the bedsheets once a week is painful enough so I certainly won't do it on a daily basis!)
Last year I spend about 7 months of the year Scamping (will do the same again this year) so the dinette is now permanently set up as my bed and the front bunk is my "sofa". I have 2 drawers on the left side, between the stove and the front wall, that stores my clothes. So, that wall on the opposite side is just looking to me like it should be useful…
Old 03-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #12

Florida
Registry
Bingo!!! Donna, that's exactly what I am talking about….But not near as large as that one…
The "One small difficulty...the under-cushion hatch" that Ray mentioned will not be a problem as I don't plan to make the shelf that deep. The "boards" (leftover laminate flooring) I'm using are 8" deep and 26" at their widest point.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Louise, I've stared at that photo from Moguland Boler many times. No one says you need to make the new cabinet all the way to the top of the original cabinet. Yes, the photo is years old and all those electronics were heavy. Fast forward to 2015, make that cabinet on "legs" so the front couch is usable as a bed. Bedding and legs can go underneath the cabinet!

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #14

Florida
Registry
Yes, that's my plan Donna! Gotta get working on it
Old 03-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #15

Florida
Registry
Finished....

It's done....and I'm very happy with how it turned out. For the shelf platforms I used leftover laminate flooring cut to the contours of the Scamp. The supports were 5/8" square doweling, which I covered with leftover fabric that I used when reupholstering my cushions. I used corner molding (which also was covered with leftover fabic) as facing on the shelves.
I did not bolt/screw/ or make any permanent holes to any part of the Scamp, but instead used hook and loop tape (a Scamp owners best friend) to anchor the parts and pieces.. I glued it to the back of the doweling so it would "catch" the rat fur and where the right legs meet the wooden screen divider, I glued hook and loop to the wood to match up to the legs. Put added pieces along the back curve of the shelves to give added support.
Thank you Donna for your suggestion, which I followed, so if I want to use the bottom bunk I don't have to pull the shelf out...
I'm a happy camper...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6876.jpg   IMG_6877.jpg  

IMG_6878.jpg   IMG_6879.jpg  

Old 03-28-2015, 01:29 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Very nice, and I like not having any permanent attachment.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #17

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
What an attractive way to gain some additional storage in an otherwise wasted space. Thanks to both you and Donna for seeing a solution that I'll be putting to use.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:04 PM   #18

Florida
Registry
Thanks...After all the knowledge I've gained from the people at this site, I'm glad to be able to share...
Old 03-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #19

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Excellent - I love the way you tied it in visually by using leftover fabric.

It looks like you've got it going on there with the upholstering skills!

Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #20

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
This is great! Stylish and VERY useful. Good job!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin