Curtain Rods - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2010, 01:52 AM   #21

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I bought the Ikea wire and all the hardware but it didn't work in my trailer. The part that holds the wire sticks out about 3 inches from the wall at the top of my window but my wall curves, so there was alot of space at the bottom of the window when the curtains hung straight. I went with the spring wire from my fabric store and the curtains are quite close to the windows now. I did hang the curtains with the hooks from Ikea. They just clip onto the material and slide along the wire.
Marina
Old 07-03-2010, 02:43 AM   #22

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Raya -

you are right. they DO take more tension. My daughter had me install some like that in her home in Germany, and they ARE designed for being anchored into the wall. I am thinking they would sag without enough tension.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:52 AM   #23

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Thanks for that confirmation, Alan. I suspected as much, based on my understanding of wire rope rigging, but I didn't want to assume. Now we know based on experience (and also about how they project from the wall; thanks Marina).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Well, I guess I'll jump in...

I have used the Ikea wire hangers in both my Scamp and recent Perris Pacer resto. As advertised, these are tension wires, made taut by slick turnbuckle hardware. They do stick out further than I would prefer, but I like the look a lot.

The end "pins" that hold the curtain wire screw into a metal mounting plates. The plates fasten easily and firmly (with screws or bolts) to the upper cabinets (as you can see below), but are tricky to mount to the fiberglass shell without the use of mechanical fasteners. I modified the mounting plates and used heavy duty resin epoxy to stick 'em directly to the FG walls.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0067.jpg  
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #25

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
Quote:
Bridget,

If only we could get curtain wires in the U.S.! But noooOOOooo.

I saw some in Ontario (at Wal-Mart) when I was up there looking at campers, before finding mine. I thought about buying them, but talk about putting the cart before the.... well... cart.
Raya,
I think it is actually you I have to thank for my knowing where to look for them.
I set them up today and I couldn't believe how easy it worked, you just need a really good pair of wire cutters. These are perfect for other u-haulers out there. One set worked for just the top of each curtain, if you want to secure the bottom too then you will need two sets.
Bridget
Bridget T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #26

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I got mine off ebay - just searched under 'curtain wire'. Here's the link, same person that I got mine from. You order it by the foot. I installed it quick-fast with a set of wire nippers and needle nose pliers. They're great
http://cgi.ebay.com/Net-curtain-wire-HOOK-...=item53d937d063
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote