Curtain rods made from PVC pipe "what say you"? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #1

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Curtain rods made from PVC pipe "what say you"?

Has anyone made curtain rods from PVC pipe? I was thinking of using PVC 1/2 inch conduit attached to the window frame using the plastic clamps and a screw. If more clearance is need I could use a stand off or plastic washer behind the clamps. If I want to go all around from side window to back window and then to the other side window I could use 90 degree PVC elbows. This is the gray pipe so I wouldn't spray paint it. I could also cap the ends or put (glue) something nice on the ends.
I am open to hear if you did this mod or know something better!
Attached Images

ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Most of that stuff has the specs marked on it every couple feet. Have to figure out how to get rid of that.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
It also will sag over time too, especially 1/2". Wood doweling would work much better. Or, to save weight and have a smaller size, there are tons of different curtain rods made for this, and some would not cost you much more.

The light track that uses small rollers comes to mind.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #4

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I think its a good idea but I agree that the 1/2 inch size would probably sag. The writing on the side comes off with acetone I think (or some other paint thinner/remover product??). Also, could spray them to match your decor with the Krylon plastic paints.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #5

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Jim, I like your Light Tracks but I am finding them to be hitting 30 bucks each. I have 3 big windows and 3 small ones so yes a big price. Wish I could find them cheaper some where.

The print on PVC comes off easy. I wouldn't want to spray paint them because I would use them and the paint would come off in time.

I was just looking for a low cost fix but yet still look good. I was thinking PVC because I could go around on all 3 windows with one unit instead of 3. I guess I could make a small valance over the windows and that may be the better way to go.
Back to the drawing board about using a valance over the windows. I was just hoping to get it done this weekend.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I used 1/4" steel rod, flattened the ends on my anvil, drilled a hole in the flats, and screwed it to the plastic inserts that are left over from the original rods. I suppose not everyone has an anvil, or a double hull trailer like our Uhaul. For a quick fix one time I used a piece of 1/4" steel brake line that I had, cut it to length, and the ends flattened easy. It worked good for the rear window, but I was afraid pulling on the curtain might eventually bend it (never did) so later replaced it with the solid rod.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
My Scamp came with curtain rods that were smaller than the rod holders and they fell out while on the road. I bought standard (wider diameter) curtain rods at Walmart and find they fit snugly into the rod holder and hold while under tow. Unfortunately, the end finials come off and I will need to glue them on.

I thought about doing a wrap-around custom rod but found that the back 3 windows are not aligned at the top, sigh My photos show curtains hung on the standard curtain rods (and black out shades). Sorry, the finials do not show in the photos nor does the top of the back window. Further complicating matters is the overhead cabinet in the back which gives little "play" to hang the curtains.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 021.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 030.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #8

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
Since I live in the Ozarks, I'm thinking of going "hill-billy" and using orange bailing twine. Now that I've seen other solutions maybe I can get a little more fancy.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Did you see the post by Carl today DIY Curtain Rods ? Not PVC but metal electrical conduit pipe - cheaper than PVC and its not as likely to bend in warm weather.

I used clear tie wraps to keep my rods on the holders even on the roughest of roads and you cant see them behind the curtains.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
My Scamp came with curtain rods that were smaller than the rod holders and they fell out while on the road. I bought standard (wider diameter) curtain rods at Walmart and find they fit snugly into the rod holder and hold while under tow. Unfortunately, the end finials come off and I will need to glue them on.

I thought about doing a wrap-around custom rod but found that the back 3 windows are not aligned at the top, sigh My photos show curtains hung on the standard curtain rods (and black out shades). Sorry, the finials do not show in the photos nor does the top of the back window. Further complicating matters is the overhead cabinet in the back which gives little "play" to hang the curtains.

Just a squeeze on the curtain holders closed them up enough to hold the Scamp standard rods in place. No expense, about 2 minutes to fix all of them. 8 years later and no need to change. Curtains, ya they've been changed.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
I think its a good idea but I agree that the 1/2 inch size would probably sag. The writing on the side comes off with acetone I think (or some other paint thinner/remover product??). Also, could spray them to match your decor with the Krylon plastic paints.
PVC pipe cleaner will remove the labeling . Just make sure you buy the clear cleaner not the code rated purple and wear gloves. I have put wooden dowels inside of PVC piping to stiffen up the PVC (1/2 " wooden dowel rod in 1/2" PVC)
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #12

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Those DIY curtain rods made of conduit pipe look great!
Perhaps you'd like to take it one step further. This website shows how to make a bay window curtain rod. Here Comes the Sun: DIY Bay Window Curtain Rod I mention it because you talked about going around a corner. Good luck!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #13

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Ikea has curtain rod corner connectors for US$4.99. RÄCKA Curtain rod corner connector - white - IKEA

Follow along Down the Road with Me.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote