curtains - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #1

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
curtains

Would any of you be kind enough to share your thoughts about curtains in little trailers? We have a Trillium and it HAS to get treated to new curtains because the old ones are apparently SO old that they are disintegrating every time they get touched!

We have thin metal rods holding up the current curtains that are in pairs that can be pulled across to cover the entire window or tied to each side to let in the light.

What other options are there? I've been wondering about flat panels that can be held up by strips of material (a bit like a blind). Any other thoughts before I go to buy some material?
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If you buy material, keep in mind if it can be seen through from outside at night when interior lights are on. We had a lined curtain for a sliding patio door that had only been used for a short time. Cut it up and made new curtains for our trailer.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I prefer the kind shown in Robert Johans Boler rebuild thread " Oops I did it again" The rods come from Ikea and are very reasonable.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #4

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I use these flexible tracks from Beacon Fabric. They are low profile and I stick them to the wall with that 3M heavy duty double sided tape.

I got the snap slides, along with the snap tape that I sewed onto my curtains. For curtain fabric I got a couple of fabric shower curtains at Target and cut and hemmed to size.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
'So glad you asked about curtains! Interior decor of my 13' Scamp is my favorite topic. Feel free to contact me on or offline if you'd like further discussion. While I have attached photos of my first decor theme I have many more in mind and in progress. These photos show my lined curtain panels made with a cotton blend print of fall foliage. I chose to keep the original light colored curtains in the middle so light could enter the trailer while retaining privacy. When you cover all the windows in a print the curtains will seem to overwhelm the tiny interior.

If you look closely you can see that I made "tie-backs" that fasten to the "rat fur" with the hook side of Velcro. You will also note that I made black out "shades" with Ron-Loc, a fabric for lining curtains. I simply made a pocket at the top end through which I slid a dowel (or metal rod) and placed it on top of the curtain rod supports. I sewed another pocket at the bottom edge and sewed hook side of Velcro in 3" tabs to stick the shade to the bottom of the window to the "rat fur" keeping the edges from flapping or from letting in too much cool air. (The windows leak slightly even when closed. This is a good thing because you want to minimize condensation and to have fresh air.) To raise the "shades" I simply roll the whole unit to the top while the Scamp is parked and unroll it at night and when under way. The black out shades also serve to protect the interior fabrics from fading.

In addition to curtains I make "themed" pillows and a pennant swag for decoration (not shown). I also drape my seats with throws that tie into the theme. For instance I have a Hawaiian theme consisting of a curtain print of grass shacks and ukuleles along with large beach towels with a sea turtle as throws, all in brown and tan. I have a patriotic theme of muted red, white and blue for curtains, pennant swag, throw and door hanging. Upcoming themes will be 1950's (I have an Elvis pillow to start), South of the Border and Alaska. Often I carry the theme outside to our picnic table. I have even sewn a spare tire cover in theme by using a plastic outdoor tablecloth! (sorry, no photo)

As you can see, one can go crazy with interior/exterior decor or simply choose one color theme and stick to it. Fortunately I have an indulgent husband but he does draw the line at a pink and frilly interior (to tell you the truth, I draw the line there too).

Happy Camping
Gilda (Jill-da)
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 012.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 015.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 019.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 042.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
I also have some pieces of room darkening fabric cut to cover the windows. I just use a close pin on the rod at night and fold them up during the day. I had almost free fabric and did not even finish the edges. At the bottom I stuck on some Velcro to stick it to my rat fur in the corners so it doesn't stick out. I still use some of my original see through curtains. If not using the room darkening fabric we just don't undress with lights on.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Hang on, don't be discouraged, surely it isn't curtains for you yet........ oh wait, wrong kind of curtains. Uh, never mind....

Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #8

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
LOL Mike!

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'm still thinking of just how to deal with this wee challenge, but at least I know now that some things are 'do able'.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #9

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Interesting...I need to black out my windows and the overhead vent... way too bringht in there for me lol...I like it dark like a tomb when I sleep lol. I need to do someting like your blackout curtains. My window frame sticks inside a bit probably could velcro it in behind my curtains...need to look at it this weekend.

thanks

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I used metal grommets at the top of the curtains to use on the metal rods. I also lined them with thermal curtain liners. Helped to stiffen up the curtains and keep their shape over time and helps a lot to block out light. The liner has a bit of a plastic coating on them so they also don't absorb the condensation off the windows.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC0026.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #11

New Jersey
Registry
I wonder how something like this would work removeable and breathable behind the curtains and over vent?

deryk
Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I wonder how something like this would work removeable and breathable behind the curtains and over vent?

deryk

Like this? Should work well we cant even see it!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 AM   #13

New Jersey
Registry
lol Black Out Fabrics

deryk
Old 02-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #14

New Jersey
Registry
and found this in the casita forum Blackout Shades - The Casita Club Forum - The Casita Club Forums

deryk
Old 03-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #15

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
I made new curtains for my Scamp last summer and it wasn't terribly hard--and it turned out to be one of the best changes I've made to the reworking of my interior. I bought the material itself at a garage sale (advertised as a "wall of drapes"), along with a bedspread I planned to cut down for my Scamp bed. Since the interior of my Scamp is all white now, it's easy enough to change color schemes when I feel like it.

I only have the most rudimentary of sewing skills--which are currently rusty--but it was enough to put these curtains together. (Though Maeve wanted to help, the twerpy little cat...) Since the material had been used as drapes, I wasn't terribly worried about their transparency (though I did check). I made them longer than my original curtains (and they're not hemmed yet...I will be bribing my mother for that...) I replaced the old, rusty curtain rods with ones I bought at Target and I think it turned out pretty well. I've only taken it out once since I got the curtains done, but I may add that extra layer that Carol mentioned, to give them some weight. We'll see.

This whole discussion is giving me the February blues--I miss my Scamp!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04914.jpg   DSC04933.jpg  

DSC05043.jpg   DSC04916.jpg  

Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #16

New Jersey
Registry
I need some fancier curtain rods lol... I still debate about drapes and sheers or just sheers and clip on blackout curtains for sleeping.

deryk
Old 03-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I need some fancier curtain rods lol... I still debate about drapes and sheers or just sheers and clip on blackout curtains for sleeping.

deryk
What about a Sleep Mask and use whatever material you want for curtains
Attached Thumbnails
sleep mask.jpg  
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #18

New Jersey
Registry
I actually tried a mask like that once Pam...i guess I toss and turn too much so Im going with a clip on blackout material for now till i need the windows open...then maybe a looser woven fabric under the sheers. I like it dark when i sleep

deryk
Old 03-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #19

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
What other options are there?
I just redid all of my window dressing. I've kept the same curtains that Robert made when we first bought the trailer, but got rid of the cafe rods. I installed "Black Out" roller shades and drapery rods.
Attached Thumbnails
000_1420.jpg  
Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #20

New Jersey
Registry
heh I got tramatized as a kid by shades when in the middle of the night one decided to snap closed scared te bejezus out of me lol. I really lke the shades on that 1300lb cricket trailer.

deryk