Cutting Door in Rear of Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2020, 12:46 AM   #1

Name: Jared
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
Cutting Door in Rear of Bigfoot

Hi there

I recently purchased a 2003 Bigfoot 27’ RV. It is on an E450 chassis.
I’m all done with the chassis (6” lift, sway bars, Trac bar, front clip etc)
I am now moving on to the coach. Before I get into painting, new countertops etc. I was going to cut a rear window in the very back of the coach, but got thinking a door would be a lot handier. I emailed Bigfoot a couple times but never heard back, I am wondering if this will affect any structural integrity of the unit? The door would be from inside floor to inside ceiling so approximately 72”, and then 36” wide. I can order the door which is 1.5” insulated from Challenger Door.
If I do need some integrity, I can always build a heavy duty steel C channel frame in the opening that the door would sit in. But not sure if this is necessary, I don’t know much how this fibrecore system operates.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice, looking for sound advice and not just “I wouldnt” without any background.

I’ll post some pictures of the entire RV when complete,
Jaredsmits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
You might want to post this question on the Facebook Bigfoot groups and also BOCI (http://www.bigfootowners.com), if you have not already done so. While you might get some responses here, this forum is for molded fiberglass campers, not Bigfoot fibercore RVs. I know that there are some members in both places who own this kind of RV.

Welcome to the Bigfoot family.

CindyL
Old 01-28-2020, 08:25 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
" I emailed Bigfoot a couple times but never heard back,"

It is common for manufacturers to NOT answer emails. I had an email from Casita answered FOUR years later.

Get on the phone and call them. The ones I have called (including Casita) were pretty responsive.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #4

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
In Grants defense, he will respond to emails within hours. Ever been to the factory? I would suggest that he needs an assistant to deal with communication only, but as such he IS the person of contact...if he s not in the office, he's managing builds.
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
" I emailed Bigfoot a couple times but never heard back,"

It is common for manufacturers to NOT answer emails. I had an email from Casita answered FOUR years later.
Sad but true.. I fail to understand why companies have web pages, contact forms and publish their email address, only to ignore it all.

Last week I used web contact forms or email to reach out to an accounting firm and four home remodeling companies... a week later the response rate is 3 out of 5. To bad for them since I have options. In you case, yes... call.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:22 PM   #6

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Sad but true.. I fail to understand why companies have web pages, contact forms and publish their email address, only to ignore it all.

Last week I used web contact forms or email to reach out to an accounting firm and four home remodeling companies... a week later the response rate is 3 out of 5. To bad for them since I have options. In you case, yes... call.
But it doesn't have to be that way. Our new TC Teardrop will be done this week and I have to say that the owners are super responsive. They answer the phone. They post and respond on Facebook. They respond to email including weekends sometimes.

(We are keeping the Snoozy, The TC is for off-road trips. And don't even think about the former Lil Snoozy responsiveness.)
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Cutting Door in Rear of Bigfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I fail to understand why companies have web pages, contact forms and publish their email address, only to ignore it all.
Company owners hire web designers. Web designers give company owners what they believe they should have, not always what they will actually use. In every place I've ever worked the IT department often seemed to operate in a parallel universe...

In this case, contacting Bigfoot is probably a waste of time, since the new, post-bankruptcy (2009) Bigfoot only builds all-molded trailers. This unit is a different RV type manufactured using a different build process under different ownership.

The groups Cindy linked are probably your best bet.

Random thought...I've always thought the B25RQ should have a second side door in the bedroom.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot