Danfoss compressor fridge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #1

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
Danfoss compressor fridge

Hi all,
I am looking for those who have used a portable fridge/freezer in their TT. I am planning to full-time using a 12v/110 fridge running on batteries charged with solar panels. For those who have used these portable fridge/freezer, please share your experience with brand, size, quality of unit, life of unit, what can you store in it in the real world, would you buy it again or not and why.....thanks for helping me learn from your mistakes.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I cant talk about the Danfoss, but I have a Norcold with a swing compressor that draws about 3.7 amps. and runs about 30 % of the time.
I have added a small commuter type fan to move air over the cooling fins to hopefully make the thing more efficient installed in the camper.
I have installed a DC power meter and currently I am currently defrosting the fridge and when I reload it after it cools I will test the thing for 24 hours.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #3

Florida
Thanks, I look forward to your results

Old 02-28-2016, 10:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler
I use a 35 quart Engel and it is fantastic. My only regret is that I didn't get the 45 quart size. Get the transit bag to help insulate the fridge/freezer/ The ARB units are great too. There are at least 25 Engel and ARB fridges in my local Land Rover club and everyone has nothing bad to say about them. They only draw about 1.5 amps and will freeze ice cream at any setting over 3 on the dial. A good solar panel can easily stay ahead of the power draw on a 12v battery.

Lots of information on these on the Expedition Portal in the Support Equipment forum

Expedition Portal Forum
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:14 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
MCDenny has one, and a solar panel to charge his battery. You might send him a PM.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:37 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I had a Nova Kool NovaKool DC Refrigerator - Model 4500 in our 13' Scamp to replace the 3 way refrigerator that became unreliable. I did add insulation around the refrigerator once installed as recommended to reduce run times. . I used a single 100 watt solar panel to keep our group 27 battery fully charged each day during our travels to California, Oregon, Washington, Northern Idaho, Colorado, Michigan and all places along the way, and it never failed nor drained the battery below 50%. I would recommend it. I now have a Truckfridge of the same size in our Lil Snoozy, but without additional insulation as there wasn't room for any. This set up requires two 100 watt solar panels to keep up with the power demands, as it appears that this unit runs more often and longer to keep things cold.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:18 AM   #7

Florida
Thanks everyone, this input is all very helpful.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:29 AM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
MCDenny has one, and a solar panel to charge his battery. You might send him a PM.
Could you tell me how to find him on the forum please? I have only contacted people from threads, thanks.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:25 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
You could look him up in the member directory (community, near the top of each page, then member list), click on his name (scroll through the list or search), then on contact information then click on send him an email....

Email addresses are hidden until you/he elect to share.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:50 AM   #10

Florida
Thanks Steve, I will try that. Hope it works on my phone.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:52 AM   #11

Florida
Does anyone have experience with the brand called Indel B? The Engel is too expensive for my resources.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
You can find Denny Wolfe at Wanderingourway.wordpress.com

Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have the biggest Truckfridge (TF130) in 12V and like it a LOT. Although there is a dual voltage version (12&120V) I went with the cheaper 12V only as my Scamp has a (brand new) 120 to 12V converter so I saw no need for the fridge to be 120V capable.

I can't remember the specs right now but I was a little surprised at how much it runs and how much juice it draws. To be fair, we have the door open a lot, it is a larger unit than we had to have, and I run it colder than required. But I wanted the larger unit for longer trips, plan on solar to recharge the batts, and in State Parks we have 120V anyway. I should mention I added as much foam around the sides, back, and top that I could in the space provided without blocking air flow over the coil. The running noise is noticeable but not bad and does not bother us at all.

It is so nice to be able to plug in at the house a day before a trip and having a VERY cold fridge to start out. Then it runs fine under way, and again at the site whether plugged to shore power or not. This seamless transition from house to road to camp and back is a BIG plus to me, not having to mess with a propane fridge.

My goal when I installed this fridge was three days without charging and without dropping below 50% capacity on my dual 6V batteries. I have not been camping enough, or tested it scientifically enough to say with certainly if I have met that goal. My feeling is it is achievable but we are in and out of the fridge too much and I am running it too cold. I have other loads such as a CPAP machine that have to be met also.

I have not installed my solar system yet, but others have done so successfully so I feel in the end I will be fine with the Truckfridge and solar for all our 12V needs.

I do think that most people would be better served with one of the smaller units, or even one of the chest types. The front door versions "dump" a BUNCH of cold air every time you open the door causing the thing to have to run to make up that lost coldness. Also, one of the portable chest types could be put in the tow and ran while you are out and about from camp.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have two-way ( 120V / propane ) 5 cu. ft. fridge.
I plug it in to the mains at home a couple days before a trip to pre-cool it and load with food ( beer usually ).
Depending on the length of the trip, I will either just turn it off for the duration, or switch to propane.
It's not a problem as you seem to indicate Tim.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:06 PM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have two-way ( 120V / propane ) 5 cu. ft. fridge.
I plug it in to the mains at home a couple days before a trip to pre-cool it and load with food ( beer usually ).
Depending on the length of the trip, I will either just turn it off for the duration, or switch to propane.
It's not a problem as you seem to indicate Tim.
Sorry if there was an implied goring of somebody's Ox. I only meant that messing with propane refrigeration would be a problem.....for ME.. Which, in re-reading my post, is what I said. I camp to get away from it all and to have as easy and trouble free an experience as possible. For me, that means 12V electrical refrigeration for my (root) beer. As always, YMMV.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #16

Florida
Can anybody explain to me why the Engel products in this category are nearly twice the Edgestar line. Thinner and lighter materials simply cannot account for such a difference? Is the Engel so superiorly built or is it the service?

Old 02-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #17

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I think the edgestar uses more current than the Engel unit.
There are some comparisons if you google Edgestar Vs Engel.
MacGregorSailors.com • View topic - Edgestar vs. Engel Freezers

Portable Refrigerator: Top 8 Portable Real Fridges 2015

TheSamba.com :: View topic - Anyone Know About Whynter Fridges

And others.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:19 PM   #18

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
It is to my knowledge the only one to use the swing compressor, so I suspect you are paying a premium for that.Check out prices for a National Luna which is built like a tank and made to transport vaccines in Africa for an expensive option.
I settled for the ARB 50 qt. we camp on the outer banks with no electricity and use it as a freezer together with a 50 qt Yeti and 200 watts of solar coupled to a 210 amp hr golf cart. Battery bank no problems for 6 trips so far. Have the best of both worlds, ice for our cocktails ,keep stuff frozen till we need them and freezes water bottles to keep the Yeti going. Never been below 50 % charged.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:26 PM   #19

Florida
Exactly what I was thinking

Old 03-01-2016, 12:23 AM   #20

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Re Fridge/freezer battery/110V

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
It is to my knowledge the only one to use the swing compressor, so I suspect you are paying a premium for that.Check out prices for a National Luna which is built like a tank and made to transport vaccines in Africa for an expensive option.
I settled for the ARB 50 qt. we camp on the outer banks with no electricity and use it as a freezer together with a 50 qt Yeti and 200 watts of solar coupled to a 210 amp hr golf cart. Battery bank no problems for 6 trips so far. Have the best of both worlds, ice for our cocktails ,keep stuff frozen till we need them and freezes water bottles to keep the Yeti going. Never been below 50 % charged.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
: I hope I'm not late on letting someone out there know about this find, while cruising tonight or should I say 10min. ago I came across a Norcold/Engel Portable Fridge/Freezer used $925.00 for Sale on the Vanouver, BC CL ID#5470914076 should get u to it. It is in North Vancouver and for u in the deep SE not a cheap ship as it weighs in at 70#'s
If you read the article he who I assume is the owner tells all about it, and if he is any kind of carpenter could build a 1/4" plywood box to ship a long ways and make it get there safely. Remember your dollar is worth about 30 cents more up here.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge