Decorate Inside Scamp Door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #1

Name: Tonia
Trailer: Scamp 13' (1982)
Wisconsin
Decorate Inside Scamp Door

I tried searching the forums --- too many "Scamp door" threads.

Looking for ideas to make the scamp door (inside) look better. I'm not sure what will stick/fasten to the covering (vinyl??) or how best to do something without damaging it.

If anyone can help, I'd love to see your ideas (or a thread if this has already been covered).

Many thanks!
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Tonia, honestly I don't remember any thread with a focus of decorating the door. I know there's a number of threads on some of the Glamping Facebook groups that show pics of decorated interior doors.

Sorry, maybe someone remembers something I don't...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Thanks Donna. I took a pic of my set up this weekend with the door open and it just doesn't look good.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Our very own Pam Garlow has posted pictures of her trailer and the door open on Facebook (I think the Glampers Galore group). She's decorated the door of her trailer... maybe she'll post a picture or two here!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I decorate my door with a trash can. Used inside with the door closed and outside, when open. It's a dead space area unless you are going in or out, and in that case the trash swings out of the way.
Attached Thumbnails
garbage can on door.jpg  
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Here's one of the many stained glass threads

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...dow-33419.html
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #8

Wisconsin
Here's my door. I mostly leave it open since the PO built a sturdy screen door.

I like the trash can idea. I'm not sure how to get things to stay on this door material (whatever it is). Those 3M command strips don't hold.

And I'm hesitant to go through too much trial and error because it seems less "repairable" than the ensolite which covers the rest of the trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5498[1].jpg
Views:	42
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	59774
Old 05-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #9

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
This is just an idea, mind you, but here goes...

I had a small tin can trailer a couple years ago that the interior wood in the door had rotted, plus the vinyl exterior had a big crack in it (probably in part why the wood was rotten!). I took the window out, removed the door knob and exterior aluminum frame, rebuilt the wood structure, replaced the old soggy bee hive cardboard inserts, and got a piece of aluminum to replace the old vinyl on the outside. To make it look "cool" I sanded the aluminum diagonally one way, then the other for a brushed look. I put it back together with and it came out great!

The bottom line here is that in tearing a door apart, you might easily replace the interior panel with something not only more to your liking, but a substance that you could better do what you want to do!

Good luck!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Tonia, I have seen a number of scamps with various items on the door. The inner core of the door has some wood so things can be screwed into it.

Some of the items I have seen people add to the door are:

A wooden shoe holder along the bottom section - big enough to hold a few pairs of shoes.

Hanging shoe organizers used for holding items other than shoes - ie flashlights and sunscreen etc. Some are store purchased & cut down in size and others have been handmade to match other items such as curtains etc.

Small chalk or white boards for leaving messages.

A metal board for putting travel magnets from places you have been on - others if if they dont have rat fur on the door have just used double sided tape (or I suspect thats what they used) to stick various magnets and decals collected on their travels.

Small decorative wicker basket for holding small items etc.

Metal flashing about 6" high along the bottom section to keep that section of the door clean.

Possibilities are endless.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #11

Wisconsin
Carol! I like the way you think....or how this "community" thinks!

Wood in there?? -- I didn't know ;-)

Frank--love the idea of an entirely new panel --- I think that's for when I'm a "seasoned" egg owner. Right now I'm quite the novice....but also kind of a cheap a$$ so figuring it out myself =) It's more fun this way anyhow.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #12

Registry
Tonia, I forgot to mention that often just adding curtains to the window on the door improved things a bit.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #13

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonia View Post
Carol! I like the way you think....or how this "community" thinks!

Wood in there?? -- I didn't know ;-)

Frank--love the idea of an entirely new panel --- I think that's for when I'm a "seasoned" egg owner. Right now I'm quite the novice....but also kind of a cheap a$$ so figuring it out myself =) It's more fun this way anyhow.
Tonia, while I tend to be a handy fellow, I had never attempted anything like this before, but the price of a new door was WAY out of my reach, so I went after it, and it turned out great. I honestly don't know if there is wood structure inside your door, but I bet replacing that interior panel would not be difficult. Probably the most difficult part would be getting the interior panel cut to exact dimensions. For aluminum I use sheet metal shears, but boy, you have to take your time. For thin luan, I use a long metal ruler to guide me and sharp razor blade type box cutters.

Good luck!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #14

Name: Christine
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
North Carolina
Paint it nicely

Hi Tonia (and others). I'm new here and also looking for a scamp 13'. Since i never had a Fiberglass camper before i dont't know if it will work but i think if you prime the Door and paint it than with a magnetic chalkboard paint you could write on it and buy from ikea magnetic storage boxes. So it would look good and would give you space. I also like the curtain idea, everything gets cozy with a curtain! Christin
Christin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #15

I'm wondering why the 3M Command doesn't work? That's what I used ( 3 lb. hooks ) and they are still secure.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
My door has rat fur on it. There is a small handle under the window, looks like a drawer pull. It is screwed into the core of the door. It's off-center and a little rusty, will be taking it off and probably adding a shoe organizer as others have suggested for sunscreen, etc.

If it was something light, you could use Goop or fabric hot glue to attach it to the rat fur. If you don't have covering, some type of gap-filling adhesive would probably work.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #17

Registry
Kevin using curtain hooks is also an easy way to hang light items on rat fur.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Forgot about that Carol, thanks. We used to use T-pins pushed in at a downward angle on the fabric wall covering at work, held calendars and other light items.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #19

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm wondering why the 3M Command doesn't work? That's what I used ( 3 lb. hooks ) and they are still secure.
Your pic looks like your door is FG???

Mine is like vinyl (or something). Moisture seems to loosen the hold.
Admittedly I tried it one time. Maybe that strip was faulty;-)
Old 05-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #20

Should stick to any smooth surface. And, I've got several 3M Command Strip hooks inside the shower ( for towels, squeegee, etc ) so moisture isn't an issue.
All I can say, is read the instructions, particularly for removal.

Tags
scamp