Digital Antenna upgrade - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Digital Antenna upgrade

I have one of these and they are really nice. With traditional rv antenna signals one must turn the antenna, scan the tv to determine how many channels are available, turn the antenna again and repeat scan again. Sometimes it can take an hour to fine tune your reception.
With the arrival of the digital age, things get easier. With the new Digital Jack you turn it on and slowly rotate the head and there are 4 blue lights that signal which direction has the best reception. Once you have the most bars lite, you then program your tv, just once. Programming is done in 5 minutes.
Here is what I'm talking about King Controls JACK Over the Air Digital Antenna White - $119.99
You may find it less expensive elsewhere but again it it a real time saver for those on the road.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #2

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
Has anyone replaced an old Delta antenna with this Digital Jack? If so, could you tell how you did it and how it went?

We have a Delta antenna but one of the arms will NOT contract. From what I understand this problem is next to impossible to fix and the Delta antenna is no longer made.
This Digital Jack looks like a good replacement.
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #3

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
This is the exact antenna that we bought. Were thinking about putting it in the existing hole where the old bat wing antenna went. But since that is on a bit of an angle we decided with that we needed to move it forward towards the vent a bit. To make it more level. Also bought at fiberglass repair kit to use on the old hole. It kills me to drill a new hole in the roof but i think to have it sit securely that may be the best way to do it. I am sorry to say that we havn't done it yet as it has been pretty cold but i think on Casita forum or casita club i can't remember which one, there was a guy who was kind enough to post pics of this process. Although he put it up towards the front more. I don't know how to post a link but if you are a member of either of those do a search there. If i figure out which one it was i will let you know.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Registry
If you go the link I provided in the first post here, they show/have 2 accessory kits for sloping roofs both interior and exterior. So you may be able to utilize the existing hole.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #5

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Jim, i looked at them but they are circular and the base for the jack antenna is kind of a curved triangle. Good idea though. Oh as i look at them further it is for a wingar antenna so i don't know if it would work for the strange shape of the jack.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
If you go to the factory website they also make just the digital replacement head to mount on the old style antenna. You can use the old arms but the new head. http://www.kingcontrols.com/userfile...%20Mode%5D.pdf
Old 03-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #7

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I put in one of these units to replace a Winegard Sensar that was not functioning. It seemed easier to fill the original holes, paint them with Interlux Brightside and drill new holes.

New unit works well, doesn't need to be raised and lowered, and the search feature works without reference to the TV screen. Wiring was easy to reconfigure, just a plug-in with the old. Works for me.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote