Dinette modifications - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 09:00 PM   #1

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Dinette modifications

We have an Escape 5.0 with the standard dinette. After a long trip where we had some bad weather that kept us inside a lot the dinette lost its charm somewhat. I don’t know if it is the shape or the cushions, but it just doesn’t make for a good long term seat or couch.

In our Scamp 19 we removed the entire dinette and used a couple of Ikea Poang chairs for a long trip where we didn’t need our water tank. But with the escape I want to keep the under bench storage as it is. But I’d like the area to be more comfortable for sitting.

I don’t know if better cushions would help or a more contoured seat.

Any ideas would be welcome. Pictures would be even better.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:21 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Most trailers use high density foam for cushion and in many cases, bed mattresses. High density foam, even when new, is not the best material to sit or sleep on as it compresses a great deal. I have cut pool noodles which I place behind the seat back cushions to slope their angle. It improves comfort, but it is still not as comfortable as a quality couch, because high density foam will never be as supportive as the furniture in your home. I would suggest improving the upholstered seats of the dinette. You may be able to find custom cushion makers on line who do not utilize 100% foam in their construction techniques.

And if you haven’t yet done so, you might want to join the Escape Owners Forum where there are likely more owners than on FGRV who have dealt with the “comfort” issue which is concerning you.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:11 AM   #3

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Yeah, I figure the cushions are a compromise to be good for both sitting and sleeping, while not being great at either.

I also figured flat bottomed dinette benches are not an escape problem, but a common design issue for most fiberglass rv.

Our solution in our scamp was too slanted towards comfortable sitting. It worked for us at the time, but we switched it back to the dinette before passing it on to our adult kids.

I’d just like to see how others have tackled this issue in any fiberglass rv with a dinette at the back.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote