Dog Leash Up/Anchor Point In Trailer While Camping/Sleeping: What do you do? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 08:26 AM   #41

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I think that the D ring has to be placed on the rear, wood floor. Here's why: on the riser, although very strong, she couldn't be on almost any length of leash, as she'd be able to reach that screen door in no time. By placing D ring/cargo anchor on wood floor at back of dinette bed area, she could crawl in and out of there for a bed, and have just enough leash to let her sleep in kitchen galley area, without being able to reach the screen door. These are my thoughts, knowing the space in the trailer is short/small. She'd have to be leashed so short if I hook up to the dinette riser that it would defeat the purpose of allowing her a bit of freedom, while securing her from reaching that door area.
See your point on that. Not sure she'd really have any more freedom either way; from the riser she could move in two directions. About the spring… I'd probably just look around at HD or Ace… I'd want to feel the stiffness of the wire. Even some kind of sturdy bungee-type device might work. My dog trainer recommended it when we tether to a tie out. Probably not so important here because we're talking about a very short leash in a confined space.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I am considering putting something like a Baby Door Safety Lock on the top of my screen door frame. It did not take my pup long to figure out that all he had to do was push a little on the middle of the screen door to get it to open.

There is also a Slide Lok that goes on the top of Bi Folding Doors that may do the trick as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #43

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Went to your link Carol. The one from amazon looks good.

Wish I had a dog who just ever so gracefully wants to push the screen door open with her nose!

My fault! Too soft and swishy an owner. And with squirrels, all bets are off!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #44

New York
Registry
I went to Homey D last night and picked up my SS hardware. they only had SS fender washers in a 1/4" 1" size. Didn't think the 1" would be big enough for load spread, so I bought 5/16" fender washers at 1-1/4". Being that the hole is only 1/16 of an inch bigger, will that be ok?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #45

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have not read the whole thread so forgive me if I missed something. I don’t think my Aussie girl would bust through the screen door. But even though she is “only” 48 pounds she can (and will) pull like a much larger dog. I tried different weights and finally settled on a 35 pound dumb bell as the ideal doggy snubbing post. I have a large carabineer clipped to the dumb bell that I can clip her leash to and then move the dumb bell around the site depending on shade, where we are sitting, etc. I bought all my weights at garage sales for pennies a pound otherwise I would not have bought them at new price. I may take a couple of flat weights and put an eye bolt through the hole for clipping the carabineer too. It would store better than the dumb bell. I also have a large folding crate that I set up and can throw a thin sheet over if circumstances warrant leaving her outside. Traveling with the dog can be a pain but she is part of the family and worth the trouble. Especially when Dad can tell the kid "why don't you take the dog for a hike" (while thinking: "and leave me the hell alone for a few minutes").
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #46

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
I went to Homey D last night and picked up my SS hardware. they only had SS fender washers in a 1/4" 1" size. Didn't think the 1" would be big enough for load spread, so I bought 5/16" fender washers at 1-1/4". Being that the hole is only 1/16 of an inch bigger, will that be ok?

If you think there's any possibility the nut could pull through the larger opening, you could put a 1/4" regular washer between the nut and the fender washer.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #47

New York
Registry
I failed to mention that I also bought the smaller 1/4" 1" SS fender washer too I knew i wanted the 1-1/4, but was going to post and see what ya all thought.

So...bolt through then 5/16 1-1/4 fender then 1/4 1" fender then lock nut. Right?

And painting hole after drilling with q tip. Any ole paint I have laying around ok? As in spraying some black Rustoleum in a small cup and dabbing in hole?

Old 10-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #48

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Those washers will be fine, Wendy. You can always stack a 1/4" washer between the nut and the fender washer if it makes you feel better. It doesn't have to be S/S. If you mount the ring flat on your floor, there is no way Katrina will pull it through. The load when she pulls is horizontal (called shear load). The washers aren't really taking much of the load. If you mounted the ring on a vertical surface, the load would want to pull the bolts straight out (tension load) and the washers would have a more important role. You may have experience with tent stakes? It's the same principle. Tent stakes pull straight out easily. If you pull on them from the side, much more resistance. Again, don't over think this. You can do it. Measure twice, drill two holes, install hardware, and pat you, your helper, and Katrina on the back for a job well done!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #49

New York
Registry
Weights are a really creative idea for sure. But my 50 pound girl was once "under my control" on her leash as I held the leash sitting round the camp fire. She sees a squirrel and whoosh! Me and my chair slide a few feet and then she proceeds to pull me on the ground a few inches too.

Pain in my...literally

Old 10-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #50

New York
Registry
Thanks Tom. You are motivating me to do this today, even in the rain.

Had my mom tap the spot from inside trailer yesterday so i could feel the pound underneath. Clear there as far as wires etc. I have a scamp 13 and as far as I know all plumbing and wires run along back wall of trailer. I'm nowhere near gray wAter tank. I want to place d ring on driver side dinette floor near bench and almost back as far as carpet starts to roll up wall, but not that far as plumbing is there.

Is there anything else I could be missing as far as wires etcetera. All looks great underneath just shiny OSB. Also need suggestions for paint. Hoping the million cans of Rusto I have with a q tip meets approval for painting inside hole?

Old 10-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #51

Michigan
Wendy, I reread your post. If you have 1/4" (hole size) fender washers, use them. Sounds like you found a good spot to mount it. Watch out for the carpet winding around the drill bit, and give it a go. After you drill your first hole, drop a bolt thru the ring mount plate and drill the second hole using the mount as a guide to drill the other hole. Rustoleum is fine to seal the wood fibers in the hole. Q-tip will be perfect. If all your hardware is stainless, you don't need to paint it, unless for cosmetic reasons. Who looks under the trailer? Go for it!

Tom
Old 10-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #52

New York
Registry
Well just waiting for paint to dry in holes so I can finish the job! Alas though I put a 1/4" wide run in the carpet. So pissed off really. I cut slit in carpet with exacting knife and went ever slow with drill but I guess not slow enough. I have little experience and almost everything I do to this trailer is new to me.

No ideas other than cutting out piece of carpet and butting new hunk next to it. Run is about 8" long. Or trying to put matching fibers and a little backing in run and gluing. Or trying to sew loops over the run.

Leave it to Beaver!

Old 10-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #53

Registry
Quote:
Well just waiting for paint to dry in holes so I can finish the job! Alas though I put a 1/4" wide run in the carpet. So pissed off really. I cut slit in carpet with exacting knife and went ever slow with drill but I guess not slow enough.
Sorry to hear If you have something with a sharp hook on the end you may be able to pull some of the loose fiber that pulled out back up into the run to help hide it....
Old 10-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #54

Michigan
Wendy, I'm sorry to hear this. If your tiedown is in the rear corner, is it really that noticeable? It is under the table (or bed) correct? I wish I could see it. I think I would try to hide it as Carol suggested.

Tom
Old 10-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #55

New York
Registry
My mom came over with a carpet needle and the perfect color thread and rescued me! Where would I be without my mommy? It isn't perfect but it sure as heck is live able and now my dog can rest comfortable and I can get a breeze!

Thank you everybody!

Old 10-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #56

New York
Registry
Here's some pics. I used nylox nuts and fender washers underneath. All SS. The ones under the trailer are not so good as I couldn't get a good angle with my phone. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1413234955.712166.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	77587Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1413234976.466503.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	77588Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1413235000.129981.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	77589Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1413235016.594541.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	77590

Old 10-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #57

Michigan
Whew, what a relief! I felt bad, and partially responsible for talking you into this. You can hardly see the boo-boo! Looks like a great job to me. Congratulations! Now that wasn't so hard, was it?

Tom
Old 10-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #58

New York
Registry
Oh nonsense Tom. Stuff happens and I'm just a learner You are not responsible for boo boos..just for motivating me to do it! I'm pleased as punch and overall I accomplished what I set out to do. I'll have to take a pic of weenie (Katrina) all hooked up.

God bless you all... I feel richly blessed to have your guidance and support.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #59

Michigan
You can do almost anything you set your mind to, Wendy. The only limits come from within. The more you tackle, the better and easier it will become. You're tracking now.

Tom
Old 10-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #60

Registry
Quote:
My mom came over with a carpet needle and the perfect color thread and rescued me! Where would I be without my mommy? It isn't perfect but it sure as heck is live able and now my dog can rest comfortable and I can get a breeze!

Thank you everybody!

It all looks good!! You can't hardly even notice the run! Good on Mom!
Job well done by both of you!