Dog Leash - Where to Attach? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2021, 10:19 AM   #41

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Just drill a 1/4” hole in the bumper and install a eyebolt. Put them any where you want.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #42

Name: Denise
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
X-pens a safe option for dogs

I use an x-pen (I.e., exercise pen) for dogs at the trailer. If you’re not familiar with these, they come in a variety of heights, you can add panels to enlarge for more dogs, and fold up flat, so I can store either in the trailer or in the back of vehicle. A available with a cover or “lid” for dogs that are jumpers or climbers, although most dogs seem able to learn to stay in and chill. These are the most common dog containment you’ll see at most dog events. I don’t leave them outside for an extended time if I’m not at the trailer though. More afraid of someone stealing a dog than one escaping. But they happily spend hours there quietly, while we’re around camp. Otherwise they’re inside the trailer, some are crated, some not. Depends on age of the dog.
https://www.amazon.ca/Midwest-Foldab.../dp/B000H8YTJI
Old 06-05-2021, 10:28 AM   #43

Name: ken
Trailer: Scamp 19ft
Nova Scotia
Blue River

we stopped in Blue River BC for gas and a stretch. Was told that the day before a person had tied their dog to their trailer at the edge of the lot (beside the woods) and went in for coffee. A bear got their little dog...very sad. If you tie your dog, do so in a way that you can keep an eye on him and keep him safe.
kenbmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:59 AM   #44

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
Just drill a 1/4” hole in the bumper and install a eyebolt. Put them any where you want.
Hi Mike
Hope you’re having a good summer and things are getting back to normal. Wish we would get word on the Canadian border opening up. I’d like to go to Niagara in the fall. Have reservations so hoping for the best. Teresa, Todd and the kids doing well.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #45

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have canoed at Myrtle Lake west of Blue River a few times, and spent lots of time throughout the rest of Wells Grey PP I have seen lots of grizzlies and black bears.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:22 PM   #46

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Mike
Hope you’re having a good summer and things are getting back to normal. Wish we would get word on the Canadian border opening up. I’d like to go to Niagara in the fall. Have reservations so hoping for the best. Teresa, Todd and the kids doing well.
Iowa Dave
Miss you guys and the kids. Haven’t meet baby girl yet, can’t wait! Where booked for Niagara also, hoping for the best. At Bo woods now, visiting with escape folks. Be asking all on them if them have seen you and Rita? And if you guys were ok. Hope too see ya soon!
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 02:16 PM   #47

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
No drilling required. Just replace the bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
steploop.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 02:36 PM   #48

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Maybe I should not tell people this but I keep a carabiner on the handle end of the leash

We travel with an 8" Carabiner. That plus any leash lets you tie up to almost anything. Hitch, A frame, rear bumper, picnic table, tree, light post etc.

Unless it is a totally fenced in area, the dog is never off leash or contained in some manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise T View Post
I use an x-pen (I.e., exercise pen) for dogs at the trailer.
We also travel with folding aluminum/fabric crates and pens.

I used to laugh at my friends that had to bring a trunk-load of play pens and toys for their kids. Karma got me back.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 02:58 PM   #49

Name: Dom
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Québec
Hello!
Im veterinarian and like the first reply you got....never ever attached and animal to a vehicle....it sadly result in the worst things ive seen in my life....trust me!
Dominico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:39 AM   #50

Name: Rheis
Trailer: Boler 1700
British Columbia
How about this for an idea, why not park the trailer tire on top of the leash or a plate attached to the leash. That way your dog is “tied” to the trailer and if you forget and drive off no harm done. Plus you won’t be welding on a frame or drilling into it. Problem solved everyone is happy. Or loop the leash under the jack. Can’t really go anywhere with the jack down. Personally I like to try to put redundancies in place not just for me but for others too.
Rheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:31 AM   #51

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheis View Post
How about this for an idea, why not park the trailer tire on top of the leash or a plate attached to the leash. That way your dog is “tied” to the trailer and if you forget and drive off no harm done. Plus you won’t be welding on a frame or drilling into it. Problem solved everyone is happy. Or loop the leash under the jack. Can’t really go anywhere with the jack down. Personally I like to try to put redundancies in place not just for me but for others too.
While this is a good solution for both schools of thought, I doubt it will change the dog leashing M.O. of the “I’m too smart to make a mistake” or “it will never happen to me” crowd. This crowd is why many states have passed laws requiring child seats, prohibitions against children (and even dogs not securely leashed in the bed of pickup trucks) and a long list of potentially life threatening habits.
I feel bad for any animal that suffers injury or excruciating death resulting from human stupidity. That is not to be interpreted to mean that I think anyone who ties a dog to a vehicle is inherently stupid. Some people have a penchant for constantly making stupid decisions. But everyone makes the occasional stupid mistake, we all have, including me. But the “I’m too smart to make a mistake” crowd” dog owners have a right to tie their dogs to anything that is not prohibited. And while I do not think a dog should be leashed to any motorized vehicle (children have been killed by a parent who jumped in a vehicle who didn’t physically check behind the vehicle before backing up), it is reasonably (key word reasonably) safe to leash a dog to a trailer set up on a campsite. Although I personally wouldn’t do it, I fail to comprehend how anyone could break camp, remove wheel chocks, and connect the trailer without noticing the pet is still attached to the trailer. But even using the park on the leash or a plate attached to the leash method could result in a dog asleep in the shade under the vehicle being run over. It all comes down to doing a walk around inspection before moving any vehicle or trailer.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:33 AM   #52

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Anyone who does not do the obligatory "walk-around" ritual before pulling out of any campsite is bound, sooner or later, to make a very expensive mistake.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:32 AM   #53

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Anyone who does not do the obligatory "walk-around" ritual before pulling out of any campsite is bound, sooner or later, to make a very expensive mistake.
For us, this is an automatic task. We both do a walk around looking at everything there is to check, which is actually quite quick. Jasper is already in the tow vehicle at this point.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:18 PM   #54

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Huh, I just drop the leash loop over the jack on front of the camper. I can’t hook up with the dog in the way so no way can I drag her off. I just looked close at my picture over there and see the weight we used to carry to tie the dog to. Dog is much older now and we could get by with a smaller weight! The little smiling camper girl is turning 18 in a couple of weeks too!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:45 AM   #55

Name: Rob
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Registry
I have no problem with tying our doggo's leash to the trailer tongue, although usually the picnic table or a tree on the edge gives him better access to the site with less risk of him taking out an awning pole with his long leash when he rushes out to meet somebody.

It seems a bit unnecessary to weld an attachment though. I would suggest using a bit of webbing or something to temporarily attach your clip point to make sure you find a location you want to live with permanently. Also if you don't already know how to tie a Bolen, Google it, it's a very handy knot and you may change your mind.
robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #56

Name: G
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
He just thought he might have heard the postman 100 yards away in a closed up house so it was time for some vigilance
Hahahaha I missed my Springer. I was on second floor apartment facing the main road, was playing guitar hero in the living room, all the windows closed, and curtains closed, dog would be sleeping and out of nowhere would lift her head and start barking.

Cause someone was walking their dog ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MAIN STREET!!!

I sure do miss her, I will one day get another Brittany Springer Give that pup some extra love for me.
ButlerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:12 PM   #57

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
On some places, it is illegal to tie off your pet, unless you are in close proximity.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 01:29 PM   #58

Name: Kate
Trailer: Boler
BC
We use a spiral tie out, or loop a 20ft tie-out lead to the back bumper of our Boler. It works a treat!

I was going insert a surface mount anchor ring or eye bolt within the trailer so our dog could be tied up but with lots of freedom to move inside and within a couple meter radius outside. But in the end, I found looping to the back bumper easy and effective.
KNickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:23 AM   #59

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Tie up our dog.....how would he ever get to visit other campsites if we did that? Kidding of course.....unlike some bad dog owners. We have two 10ft. pieces of coated wire with swivel clips on both ends...depending on campsite we can use one or both.....we tie to picknic table....tree....trailer bumper.....frame....etc.....works well for us.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:02 PM   #60

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I have a cable with a loop at both ends. I use barn spikes with a washer on them to stake the cable to the ground. Dog lead goes on a ring that slides on the cable. I can position it where I want. Often move just one end to allow the dog to "follow the shade" or to get out near where we are sitting by the fire ring. Lead is only 6 ft. long but the cable provides more area to move in than a tied leash of same length. I can set it so end of lead reaches the door of camper for that early morning potty break.

I can't see attaching dog to vehicle or camper. Even if the risk of dog being left on the lead while driving off is small the damage would be extreme so it is a risk best avoided. We keep the dog tie down right inside the door. Gets set up as first item of plugging in and putting jack stands under back bumper.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote