dogg (dogs in eggs) camping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #21

Name: Sally
Trailer: Escape 21 in Nov
California
Oops. Maybe it's here:

Name:   carrier.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  19.6 KB
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #22

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2443954199.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	65575

Here's a picture of my setup, just the expens and no canopy.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #23

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
Thank you all for your perspectives. Can I now ask about screen doors? I see some are using the all screen split in the middle doors. I read about a couple of people who have created their own sturdier doors. Anyone using baby gates to help block exits with screen doors?
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
No problemo--for the dogs. I hope some day to adapt the trailer such that I have a place to sleep.

jack
1 female Greyhound
1 female Shiba Inu
LOL I understand having had a large male lab travel with me for years and his equally as large golden buddy.

I was recently asked by our local Assistant/Guide dog group to raise a puppy (normally raise them until they are 15 months & they head off for formal training/duty) but the problem is the pup would need to sleep in a crate every night even when traveling - hard to fit a crate large enough in my current trailer for a lab pup once they get over 7 months or so. Part of the service agreement is that they also must sleep in the same room with you so putting them in the back of a truck at nights isnt an option. I see it as just another really good reason for why I really need a bigger trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #25

Registry
It might be worth explaining the situation to the guide dog organization to see if tethering to the bed would work in a small trailer. That's what they used to have people do for raising puppies, anyway. But if not, just put a door under the bed so that the under-bed area can be a crate for the pup. Guide dogs are taught to crawl under tables in restaurants; there should be room enough under a bed in a trailer. (Or use this as an excuse to get a bigger trailer!)
Old 10-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #26

Registry
Here's the link to the Airstream crates.

crates are done! | Airstream 7078

click on the side links to see the followup on how the bed was done above the crates.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
It might be worth explaining the situation to the guide dog organization to see if tethering to the bed would work in a small trailer. That's what they used to have people do for raising puppies, anyway. But if not, just put a door under the bed so that the under-bed area can be a crate for the pup. Guide dogs are taught to crawl under tables in restaurants; there should be room enough under a bed in a trailer. (Or use this as an excuse to get a bigger trailer!)
Thanks Bobbie I had thought of creating an under bed built in crate but having had a labs most my life I'm aware that fitting a bigger boy (over 6 months) under there could be a problem due to the floor of the Scamps being raised under the bed/table area leaving limited height clearance. Even while they are young/small enough to fit under there I suspect that the slightest indication that someone up on the bed above is awake the table/bed would be pushing up and down as they tried to get out from there to say hello regardless of what time of the night it was! Teaching a dog to lay down & stay quite under a bed or table is not so much an issue if there is lots of space/clearance for them, but not so sure it would work well in a very confined space and the puppy brain is still in full swing

Besides the space under the bed is currently used for the clothing boxes & dont have anyplace else for them to go without giving up something else .... so yup I am sticking to need a bigger trailer excuse!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #28

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
We use a thin cable with loop at both ends staked to the ground, has a lead that slides along the cable. Because it is anchored at both ends it presents a rectangle rather than round travel area for the dog. Seems much easier to allow katie to be close without wrapping around awning poles or lawn chairs.

Whole thing fits in a small nylon draw string bag, including two spike nails and washers we use to stake it down with.

Inside it's free range doggy space, she finds a spot. Most of the time on the bed, sometimes on the couch. Often right in front of the door bouncing up and down saying "lets go!". If directed to a spot she will stay there out of the way.

We don't spend much time inside the camper, except at night for reading or sleeping.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #29

California
My mantra: "i do not need another dog, I do not need another dog, I do not need another dog...." (I have 5, from a Standard Poodle to a Papillon, and in age from 14 to 5)

I'll need a barricade for the screen door in the Escape. Have some compression ones at home but am open to other suggestions, they're clunky.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #30

Registry
You can get (or used to be able to get) stronger metal screens to bolt to the lower part of a screen door to prevent damage from dogs scratching at it. If you can no longer buy those, you can probably make one.

Like this: Amazon.com : M-D Building Products 33381 Door Grille (Pack of 3) : Screen Door Pet Grill : Computers & Accessories

Don't know if the right size exists, though.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #31

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
You can purchase thin metal with design punched out of it. You might be able to cut this to size and screw to the screen door. Found this on Home Depot site but expect any big box home improvement store, or Ace Hardware will have it.

Search Results for*Brass+sheet+metal*at The Home Depot
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #32

California
Won't work on an Escape though I use them at home. Escape has a sliding folding screen door. I do plan to put a design on it so we can at least see when it's covering the entry!
Old 10-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #33

Name: Don
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700RGH
British Columbia
Our little boy in his Boler arrangements
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6821.JPG  
Old 10-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #34

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
We use some soft sided X-pens available at the AKC Store. Singly they can be set up in squares or octagons. They can be joined together to form different shapes, we like the "peanut" configuration - 2 octagons joined by the doors. They are about 15 lbs ea. Roof and floors are optional. We have also configured them to fit around the awning. Very versatile. It has become the first thing to set up and the last to take down.
Here are pics from our most recent camping trip with the octagon setup.

Name:	image-2110626279.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	65947

Name:	image-3033802541.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	65948
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
Our little boy in his Boler arrangements
LOL Don he really is a goofy happy puppy!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #36

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Ann in TO View Post
Here are pics from our most recent camping trip with the octagon setup.
I measured it while camping, roughly 4.5' wide x 11.5' long. Doors open on either side. I call it the peanut arrangement.

Realize it is too bulky for the OP but might suit someone else searching for solutions in the future. Rubberized floors, sun screen tops. Enough room for 2 ridgebacks food and water.

We've also set them up around the awning. For those that show, they also configure to squares and rectangles.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I measured it while camping, roughly 4.5' wide x 11.5' long. Doors open on either side. I call it the peanut arrangement.

Realize it is too bulky for the OP but might suit someone else searching for solutions in the future. Rubberized floors, sun screen tops. Enough room for 2 ridgebacks food and water.

We've also set them up around the awning. For those that show, they also configure to squares and rectangles.
I'm confused about the floors- I didn't think they had floors- are you just putting something under them or do they come with a floor? How wide are they when folded? (That's what has kept me from buying that kind- they seem much bulkier than metal ones.)
Old 10-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #38

Registry
I like those Carol Ann, I have large metal x pens and they are heavy!
Old 10-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #39

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I'm confused about the floors-
How wide are they when folded?
Both tops and floors are optional and ordered separately. they come in square or octagon shapes. They clip onto the D rings built into the material built into the sides via a small strap and strong snap. The D rings can also be used to peg the pens into the ground.
Floors are rubberized or like an awning material.
Tops are a cloth screen mesh similar to shade screens.
2 tops and floors fold up and easily fit into a small bag.

They are 2' wide when folded. Length matches the height you buy. Thickness about 4". You can pick them up with one hand and easily fit onto the front bunk during travel. 2 pens + 2 similar crates + 2 crate mattresses when all stacked on each other still don't reach the counter when on the front bunk.
Peanut configuration gives 42 sq ft of room for the dogs.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #40

Name: Antonia
Trailer: Scamp 13" and Fleetwood Neon
Virginia
Registry
I have traveled not only with Harley, a 63 lb. Australian cattle dog, but also my mother and her Beagle in a 13 ft Scamp. The rule: only one on their feet at a time (mom and I do get up occasionally). The dogs work it out and Hap has her own little beagle bed under the table. They must have their leashes on before the door opens, and I have Harley micro-chipped. There is always an alternative # for the Home Again peeps to call should Harley go AWOL. We use spiral stake outs sunk all the way in the ground or tree or picnic table to attach their cables to. Oh Harley also uses a harness and seat belt in the vehicle and we stop often. The stopping helps us to shake the Scamp groupies it attracts.
Antonia is offline   Reply With Quote