dogg (dogs in eggs) camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
dogg (dogs in eggs) camping

There are lots of people who travel with dogs. Some bought small trailers to be able to go to agility trials with their dogs. I see great hints scattered all over the place about how to adapt/modify the trailers, and thought this would be a good way to keep the information in one place.

Sharon D
2 bearded collies
13ft UHaul
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
No problemo--for the dogs. I hope some day to adapt the trailer such that I have a place to sleep.

jack
1 female Greyhound
1 female Shiba Inu
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I'm still looking for the ideal solution, but right now I use two small exercise pens to make a "front yard" for my trailer. I put my recliner inside the yard, too, and we can hang out peacefully. Downside- weight and bulk of the expens and limited size of the yard. If the pens were lighter, I'd carry more, and fence a larger area.

Another thing I do is keep stuff under the bed that is going to come out at the destination (such as the canopy) so that my dog can sleep under there if he wants. I have a link somewhere to a really cool trailer in which the owners built crates under the bed, but I think that was an Airstream.

Neither of these are really adaptations- just ways to cope with camping with dogs.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #4

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Puppies

We plan our vacations around our puppies. Yea were crazy over them.

Buddy 16yr old Schnoodle 8-lbs
Mimi Shea 3yr old Tea cup Poodle 5-lbs
Old 10-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #5

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
I have a 13' Casita, no bathroom though...but I travel with 3 mid sized (65 lbs plus) dogs and one Bichon. Most of the time we spend outside the trailer but when it is necessary that we are all inside together the dogs get up on the bed or the couch to stay out of the way. Same arrangement for sleeping. They came up with this solution on their own. I seldom have to ask them to move except first thing in the morning when everyone wants to be first to go out!! I, too, store things under the bed (it stays in bed mode all the time) that go out first thing when we arrive at our destination. But that spot does not appeal to them. Perhaps with a plush doggie bed. I have not tried that yet.
ShirleyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
7yo Boston Terrier. I have a 12ft lead attached to the pedestal table leg. It give him enough room to go outside, but not enough to wrap around the awning poles and pull it down. We take long walks to go potty, so no peeing at the campsite area.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #7

Registry
A few years back I bought a soft storage bag for dog food- great buy. I keep the food in the back of the car- avoids little critters and temptation for the dogs, and takes less space that way. I have a water dish that stays with the trailer.

I've been taking Jack's meds in daily pill box dispensers, but keep forgetting something, so I think while I'll presort the meds that way I'll still bring all the bottles. I give pills in peanut butter so that stays in the trailer.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
We travel in a pickup with camper shell on the bed. Makes a great mobile corral for our dogs. We've never had more than two (and only have one right now) but they've always tended to be large. We usually let them sleep in the trailer, on their doggie beds (on the floor), but in the evening we will feed them in the pickup and then usually make them hangout there until we are ready for bed. FWIW, our camper shell has a "windoor" which allows decent ventilation in the afternoons; they've not tried to climb through it (although we watch them carefully when it's open).

On longer trips we also use a screen shelter, which the dogs can come into with us. Both the screen shelter and the pickup bed provide them some off leash time, even though they are confined. All of us appreciate a break from being tethered to to a six foot leash.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #9

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
I have wondered about the "extra room" (screened room) as a way to give the dogs some roaming/relaxing space without using the weight of xpens. I'm a bit of a mosquito phobe, so I would always prefer screened spaces over the open air.

Sharon
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I'm still looking for the ideal solution, but right now I use two small exercise pens.... Downside- weight and bulk of the expens and limited size of the yard. If the pens were lighter, I'd carry more, and fence a larger area.
We use some soft sided X-pens available at the AKC Store. Singly they can be set up in squares or octagons.

They can be joined together to form different shapes, we like the "peanut" configuration - 2 octagons joined by the doors. They are about 15 lbs ea. Roof and floors are optional. We have also configured them to fit around the awning. Very versatile.

It has become the first thing to set up and the last to take down.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #11

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
13 ft UHaul and an 8 yr old Bichon (MAXX). Usually under or on the bed. Lots of walks and a long lead while in camp.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #12

Registry
The soft sided expens are too bulky for me to carry. I have short dogs so I went for short metal pens instead. Ideal solution would be lighter xpens that are not bulkier than metal ones.

I got a hanging tent and a screen room to fit my canopy. Canopy fits the front door. So I can set up the canopy right outside the trailer in wet weather, then add the xpens beyond the canopy for a yard Or, set up the xpens to connect canopy to trailer with space in between. But in warmer weather without bugs I'll just put the canopy over the xpen area for shade, same for just occasional showers.

Here's my thread on that, with pictures, though it doesn't show the xpens.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-58935.html
Old 10-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #13

Name: MTWaggin
Trailer: Fiberglass Future
Montana
Thought on expens. Back in the day when I had my Scamp (with a back bumper) I designed and built lightweight pvc panels to build my yard. It worked great and I still use them today. Basically rectangle frames (built so they were as long as the Scamp was wide) with removable "feet" and then used the mesh fabric. I can probably dig up some old photos. Also allowed me to build them as tall or short as I needed at the time.

I am also one that shows dogs in performace but wire expens and I have a torrid past (finger squishing, heavy)! LOL

Sherry & MTWaggin Pups
MTWaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #14

Name: MTWaggin
Trailer: Fiberglass Future
Montana
Short light metal expens: SeaBreeze Petite Pens - A lightweight solution to heavy exercise pens

I got mine when they were still sold by Cottonlite (who no longer appears to be in business). I also liked that they are short enough to block the underside of the trailer.

Sherry & MTWaggin Pups
MTWaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #15

Registry
I've looked at the Seabreeze but without seeing them in person I can't tell if they'd hold up to my corgi who jumps up onto the fence. And for only a few pounds savings in weight they cost twice as much. Are they the same as the ones you have from Cottonlite, do you know?

Though one option since they make them might be to get one that is 12 inches high for 6 feet, to go under the trailer, then 24 inches high for the rest of it. Right now I use a small animal pen to go under the trailer, then attach that to the xpens. I did cut the weight in half by going to shorter pens- Jack can jump out if not watched but he could get out of any expen so he is never left alone there- if I have to leave for even a short time he is crated.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #16

Registry
I like the 24 inch height as I can step over it- saves having a door that has to be opened and closed.

I've also thought about PVC but there you have bulk again.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #17

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Play Yard

We use a play pen Oh wait were not allowed to call them Play pens. We have to call the PLAY YARDS for our puppies. (actually only for children you have to call them yards). My DW made a fitted sheet to stretch over the top.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #18

Name: Sally
Trailer: Escape 21 in Nov
California
I was in the Pet Edge west coast outlet recently (http://petedge.com/) and found their ex pens are much lighter wire than they used to be. Not a recommendation for long term use - mine are over 20 years old- but it would cut down on the weight to carry. I found some guinea pig ex pens somewhere on line which I use to block the side of the trailer.

If you haven't checked out Pet Edge, it's worth a look. Probably the cheapest place around for pet supplies. However, I won't feed anything that was made in China. Buyer beware.

I had an ex pen carrier fabricated; will post pictures when I figure out how to shrink things in Iphoto.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #19

Registry
I think what I have are also lighter wire, bought up here at Skagit Farmers.

Where is the west coast outlet? Can't find it on their site. They do have low prices though once you add shipping I don't think they beat Skagit on sale.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #20

Name: Sally
Trailer: Escape 21 in Nov
California
Outlet is in Reno, NV. Just over the hill for me.

Here's the carrier:
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote