Door hinge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2022, 10:53 PM   #1

Name: Su
Trailer: Triple E
Ontario
Door hinge

Hi all,

I'm working on a 1977 triple E surfside, the cheap steel gate hinges the last owners used we're falling out and causing the door to tilt. I've read this has been a problem with fiberglass trailers.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel but I was thinking of using a continuous hinge for added strength. Looks like some airstreams use a continuous hinge. There's a flat spot on the door and trailer for the hinge to go, so I don't think the curve would be an issue.

Wondering if anyone has done this and what sources people have used for hinges.
Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
94E0732C-6DAF-4BD3-BCAC-D069998364CB.jpg   50152837-0B10-4B58-A400-4E5780FDE687.jpg  

FC238CF0-4D3E-47CE-AEFA-7AD7315ED957.jpg  
Trill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:00 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
How are your hingers held on? if just Screws, i would opt for bolts to go all the way threw the fiberglass and fender washers on the inside then and an acorn nut as to not have any sharp edges to see.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Since you have the flat hinge area for the curved door you can go with a regular flat hinge. You could try TRILLIUMRV.COM parts ($99 a pair) or check on the hinges that Escape trailer uses on their pre 2017 classic trailers.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:22 PM   #4

Name: Su
Trailer: Triple E
Ontario
Hey Gerry, should have mentioned that these photos are not up to date and I have reinforced the flat hinge location areas on the door and trailer with 3/4 ply (x2 on trailer side) so screws have lots to grab onto.

I considered bolting all the way through when I was designing a hinge.. I've been pondering this for a while... but can't seem to pull the trigger on any one of my ideas, so, looking for input here :P

Thanks
Trill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:40 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Hey Gerry, should have mentioned that these photos are not up to date and I have reinforced the flat hinge location areas on the door and trailer with 3/4 ply (x2 on trailer side) so screws have lots to grab onto.

I considered bolting all the way through when I was designing a hinge.. I've been pondering this for a while... but can't seem to pull the trigger on any one of my ideas, so, looking for input here :P

Thanks
I have put many bolts through the fiberglass on my Casita. Previous owner had installed a car sun roof in the camper that didn't stop any water from coming in due to the curvature of the roof.
I got a tinted sky light from local dealer that covered the whole of the sun roof, bolting it down every 4 inches with beutal tape between and haven't had any issues with water leakage, if this is a concern.
A continuous hinge such as a brass, piano hinge may or may not work as the screws that hold this in would be only about 3/4 of inch in from hinge. Yes there are plenty of screw holes, every inch but it being so close to the edge would be a concern me.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 12:10 PM   #6

Name: DANIEL
Trailer: Trillium
GOODYEAR
Hinges

I purchased a new set from Trillium Tom for our '79 1300.
Turns out that Trillium used commercial refrigerator door hinges. Possibly, other manufacturers did the same?

Dan Anderson
Dbasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 03:02 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Trillium uses a Kason 139 hinge with a 3/8" offset. As already said, these are refrigerator hinges. Chromed cast zinc with a steel pin. Kason has many styles, worth a look. And don't forget to check your offset.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:29 AM   #8

Name: jagbor
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Hi! We own a 1973 Trillium 1300 that is gettting a body off restoration. I am wanting to replace the door hinges and understand they are Kason 139 w 3/8" offset. Where can I buy these in Canada? (I have found few places in the US but Outback in Calgary wants $249!). I am also lookoinmg for a supplier re door rubber stripping? Thanks and have a great day!
JuliusB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Hinges

Hi,

Just do a search using your search engine... even Google

Kason 139 Hinge (Offset: 3/8")

Uncle Larry
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote