Dot-It LED lamps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2007, 09:30 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi:

Canadian tire is having a two day sale Saturday and Sunday, and feature the Sylvania Dot-it LCD lamps for 1/2 price ($5 each rather than $10). They may be handy for rv's. Details below:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...D=1195226814561

Rick
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:42 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hi:
Canadian tire is having a two day sale Saturday and Sunday, and feature the Sylvania Dot-it LCD lamps for 1/2 price ($5 each rather than $10). They may be handy for rv's. Details below:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...D=1195226814561
Rick
I have several of those and they work reasonably well. I use them inside a couple of the cupboards and the clothes closet.
(FYI they're LED not LCD).
Old 11-16-2007, 09:45 AM   #3

Quote:
(FYI they're LED not LCD).
Indeed they are, sorry about that. I haven't had my coffee yet and rushing to get to work.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
We have a couple (although not in a trailer) and they work well to light small spaces.

I don't like the battery power... there are too many devices already which require the annoying task of changing batteries, and (especially if disposables are used) there is also an environmental cost. I would rather have a similar lamp wired into the trailer power.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Darn, I was hoping they would double as a TV.....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Darn, I was hoping they would double as a TV.....
They're probably about as entertaining as TV, so why not?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I bought a 3 pack of similar 3 LED lamps at Harbor Freight for $12. So far, we have one hung on my wifes side of the bed with a curtain hook in the wall carpet. She uses it to read if I'm sleeping - their directional nature makes this work out really well.

-Kyle

Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:30 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
I bought a 3 pack of similar 3 LED lamps at Harbor Freight for $12. So far, we have one hung on my wifes side of the bed with a curtain hook in the wall carpet. She uses it to read if I'm sleeping - their directional nature makes this work out really well.
-Kyle
That's great to hear that they work well for reading. With all the discusions about the directional lite and the odd glow I was worried. I picked up 3 at Norm Salutions Store in N. Conway NH last week for $1 each, they have 3 bulbs almost like the ones pictured at Canadian Tire.
I also like to read in bed while wife just wants to go to sleep and the over-head light is a bit much...
Gerry the Canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:29 AM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
To all Canadian FiberglassRV members..

You should look at your local DOLLAR STORE as they are selling these Dot-It-LEDs ..

We bought a few and so far they all work great..

Just wanted to save everyone a few DOLLARS..

See you down the road..

Dick and Dale Pack
Dick Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:57 AM   #10

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I wanna see, I wanna see!

I can't access the link because it asks for a postal zip code..............a Canadian one!!!!!!
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
I wanna see, I wanna see!

I can't access the link because it asks for a postal zip code..............a Canadian one!!!!!!
There's a sample zip code just above the box. I used that and it worked to gain access.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:47 AM   #12

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I also do NOT like the battery issue, but saying that I do have MANY items thus powered for the trailer. I regularly swap out ALL the batterys first time out every year. that way there are NO surprises!!!!

NOW, I just found something weird about the google map(s) within this link to Canadian J_ _ k!

When I clicked on the 'store locater' it automatically picked up my postal code and showed the closest outlet as being located in Mission, B.C. (which is correct!!) but when I zoomed in on the location, the map IS flawed. It shows the store as being NORTH of Lougheed highway (route #7). The store is NOT located there (and NEVER WAS PLANNED TO BE) but it shows the address as being on London Ave (which IS correct) but London Ave is SOUTH of Lougheed highway ....weird!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
There are lots of errors in mapping databases used by the various online services. I noticed in one of them that you can see satellite images, or a map, or both overlaid. The map shows roads which generally line up well with their images, but it also shows outlines of lakes which are the right shape, but far off from the actual location. They apparently had some problems aligning the water bodies layer of the geographic information with the other layers.

There are also maps (both online and printed) which have city streets shown without street names, at least in selected areas. This can be disconcerting when driving through those areas.

All maps, especially free ones, should be taken with a grain of salt.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:43 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
I also do NOT like the battery issue, but saying that I do have MANY items thus powered for the trailer. I regularly swap out ALL the batterys first time out every year. that way there are NO surprises!!!!

NOW, I just found something weird about the google map(s) within this link to Canadian J_ _ k!

When I clicked on the 'store locater' it automatically picked up my postal code and showed the closest outlet as being located in Mission, B.C. (which is correct!!) but when I zoomed in on the location, the map IS flawed. It shows the store as being NORTH of Lougheed highway (route #7). The store is NOT located there (and NEVER WAS PLANNED TO BE) but it shows the address as being on London Ave (which IS correct) but London Ave is SOUTH of Lougheed highway ....weird!!

AS said the Goggle maps are not very accurate, they are used on Geocache sites as a locator and not very reliable. I just did an experiment and used my down-loaded program of Google Earth, which is satilite shots of earth, and typed in my home address and it placed the marker on the picture on the corner post of my land.
In fact it is the first corner post mentioned in the deed of the property, which is on the other side of the road and away from the house by700 ft.
If some stalker wanted to find me useing this system they would probably go to one of the 2 houses down the road. .
I find Google Earth very helpfull to find campgrounds not haveing a GPS in the car.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #15

I did purchased two of the LED lights yesterday (sale ends today). I disassembled the unit to find it is powered by 3 AAA batteries, and I have rechargeables in that size. The only issue may be that in order to change the batteries, you must remove the unit from its location, where they are held in place by sticky back tape. The packaging indicates that the units can be removed many times. I have two cedar lined closets in my Bigfoot so may install there.

Rick
Old 11-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
I did purchased two of the LED lights yesterday (sale ends today). I disassembled the unit to find it is powered by 3 AAA batteries, and I have rechargeables in that size. The only issue may be that in order to change the batteries, you must remove the unit from its location, where they are held in place by sticky back tape. The packaging indicates that the units can be removed many times. I have two cedar lined closets in my Bigfoot so may install there.

Rick
I found their advertising about being able to "remove many times" a bit off. Work around was to get some industrial strength velcro dots from Camping World. The velcro dots are just right to allow access to the screws on the back. They stay put better and it'll take a long time to wear out the velcro.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #17

Quote:
I found their advertising about being able to "remove many times" a bit off. Work around was to get some industrial strength velcro dots from Camping World.
++++++++++++++++

Velcro seems like a great idea. Thanks
Old 11-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #18

I had a business trip to Kelowna this past week, so checked out the LED light offering at Princess Auto. They have stores across Canada, and featured the LED light that illuminates 3 LED's, 20 LED's or all 23 LED. It is easily wall or ceiling mountable and is powered by 4 AA batteries and is about 5 1/4" in diameter.

Not sure if they will be a regular stocked item, but for the price and features, could not pass up buying one

Rick B
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pages_from_flyer_english_1__cropped2.pdf (103.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
I found these 5 led puck lights that have been working really well. I use them just about everywhere in the house, garage, trailer, toolbox. I got mine in silver from BJ's, a three pack for $15 US but I also found them online from Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5347030

Cool thing about these is they have a full on an 1/2 power setting. They pivot 30 degrees and the lamp rotates 360 degrees on the mounting plate. The mounting plate comes with velcro and screws if you want a more permanent mount. Either way there are tabs on the plate and you just put your thumb on one, give it a tug and off it comes to replace the batteries. One tip is to pop the plate on and off a dozen times before mounting it to break it in a little as the first couple of time a bit stiff.

If you are not interested in battery changes with a little extra work you can hard wire them to your 12 volt system with a 4.5 volt car adapter from items such as a portable CD player.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-CA-R455-4-5V-4-5-V...7QQcmdZViewItem

Rob
Rob S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:50 AM   #20

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Quote:

Rick

I have one LED push-light (from my sister-in-law) like you'all are talking about that the top twists off to get to the batteries--thus the sticky-tape doesn't have to be torn off to change the batteries.

However, my brother Steve & I couldn't find any more of those (sister-in-law forgot where she got it, I think, or something along that line) but did get some of the lights you are talking about that have to be torn off of the wall (ceiling, closet door, etc.) to change the batteries. Steve cleverly disassembled them and make it so that the top portion is held to the bottom by 3 Phillips screws. To change the batteries---unscrew the screws, the top falls off (just like w/ the other one I have), change the batteries, screw back on---the bottom stays so no sticky tape rip-off problem.

I think it must have taken some time and patience for Steve to do that--especially to THREE lights! But now they are well-placed in my Compact Jr.

Cory

P.S. I did have one that had sticky tape on the back, but not that REALLY sticky (white) foam tape. It was supposed to be removable. Sure enough, it kept removing itself from the wall I put it on, generally while we were in transit! It ended up white-sticky-foam-taped to the wall, too.
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led lights, lighting