Dream Solar system - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Dream Solar system

Okay I bought this older 1984 Scamp 19' last summer. I'm currently getting all my ducks in a row as to what I am going to do with it. I've decided to go ahead with the "systems" end of it prior to the cosmetics or comfort. I know I want a decent solar system but don't want to just throw away money so I'm soliciting advice. I will say I have read some stuff on here and I love what Peterh did with his solar panels incorporating them into the lines of his trailer. Can anyone point me in the direction of how he installed it? Also does anyone else have suggestions? From other systems I've had in the past I am partial to a fixed system that I don't have to take down and store. I know there are several advantages to a portable system but I'm getting lazy the older I get LOL!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I like the idea of a dual panel system so I can have one fixed on the trailer and a 2nd that I can always have in direct sun,unlike where I want the trailer.

To me the ideal or dream system is one that I ca afford!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I have an 80 watt system.

It is taped to the roof and is virtually invisible. It weighs only 5 lbs and requires no actions on my part other then occasionally wiping off the road dust. It has virtually no effect on the areodynamics of the rig since it's only a tenth of an inch thick.

No one will ever steal it because first they don't know it's there, you simply can not see it from the ground.

It takes up no storage space. Stored solar panels don't work while you're driving and on average we're driving every three days.

The only con is that you can't put it in the sun when parked in the shade. As well it's a little more expensive.

You can see it under modifications/Preparing a 1991 Scamp.

So far the panel has been adequate for our off line power needs.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Update all your lighting to LED, gravity furnace, Humphrey LP light for
boondocking. Just a few things to think about in your spare time.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Peterh did with his solar panels incorporating them into the lines of his trailer. Can anyone point me in the direction of how he installed it? !
There was a workshop a couple of years back at the Bandon meet explaining how its done. If you send Peter a PM through the forum and he may already have something written up on it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If you send Peter a PM through the forum and he may already have something written up on it.
Peter's Thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nel-29810.html
Old 09-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I noticed some pretty good deals at Solar Blvd.

Solar Cell, Solar Panel, Renewable Energy, Wind Energy, Charge Controller, Solar Trackers - Solar Cell, Solar Panel, Solar PV, Solar Products, Charge Controllers, Solar Trackers

I paid $130 for a 60 watt panel a few months ago, including shipping. Shipping on these panels would be about $20 for me.

This in spite of recent tariffs on Chinese panels.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #8

Registry
Norm, what kind of panel do you have that is only 1/10 of an inch thick. Sounds pricey?
PS I always love reading about your and Ginny's exploits.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #9

Registry
Solar blvd is a nice site, I'm like a kid in a candy store. The only thing now is how much capacity is too much. I suppose I need to figure out what my most likely battery configuration is going to be and how much draw I will have each day. I also need a solar converter, any suggestions?
Old 09-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #10

Florida
Steve,

We have 80 watts and last year the price was $400 with free shipping.

I particularly like the fact that they do not effect the aerodynamics, require no holes except for the wires and weigh virtually nothing.

The only updating we're doing is to add a bigger RV style wet cell battery from Trojan.

Solar South USA, Providing the Best in Alternative/Renewable Energy - About us

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Peter's Thread:
What has happened with Peter? I've noticed his abscence. I think I still owe him for a 3 way light switch. Hopefully that is not the reason for his silence. He only gave me initials. Don't think homeland security would like mail addressed to an initial unless it had an LTD or INC behind it.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
What has happened with Peter? I've noticed his abscence.
It hasn't been that long: Last Activity: 09-21-2012 09:46 PM It just seems that way.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It hasn't been that long: Last Activity: 09-21-2012 09:46 PM It just seems that way.

I'd send him a PM, that way he'd get it in his email.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita
Honda 03842

Photos would be appreciated. Where did you mount? Wire is routed via??? controller is mounted where???
Thanks,
LKG907
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:14 AM   #15

Florida
Solar Panel Mounts

I'll find the previous posts for our solar Installation.

The panels run from near the roof excape hatch forward to the front of the trailer.

The wires from the panel go thru the roof into the bathroom ceiling. The wires run thru a boat underwater fitting. The wires run to the closet over the front couch where a solar controller is mounted to the front of the closet. This is not too far from the battery'converter.

I'll seek out the pictures. I thought they were under Modifications/ Preparing a 1991 Scamp.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #16

Florida
New Solar Install

LK Gray,

The following is a link to New Solar Install and details our installation showing the panels taped to the roof, the thru roof connector and the solar controller. This post contains a lot of information about various approaches to solar panels.

If you have any questions about my installation just ask.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...l-48167-7.html

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The following is a link to New Solar Install and details our installation showing the panels taped to the roof, the thru roof connector and the solar controller. ]
Norm how has the tape install you used for securing stood up? Has it been subjected to any lengthly freezing periods or snow yet?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #18

Florida
Carol.

Our panels have been on for more than a year and stood up without a single issue in varying weather situations.

The tape is designed for exterior use. I do not know it's low temperature spec but it has been below freezing a number of times. The panels have been covered in snow twice, have been in three small hail showers and tons of rain.

It also has seen a number of sand storms with rather strong winds, exceeding what one sees in our extensive driving.

Here's a link to the tape.

Amazon.com: Scotch Permanent Outdoor Mounting Tape, 1 Inch x 450 Inches (4011-LONG): Office Products

Others have mentioned other 3M Very High Bond Tapes that may be better.

I will sayIt is on a surface covered by Red Max Pro 3 and I did no pre-cleaning, I guess I just got too excited. Should have cleaned the surface first.

As well the fapels are not sitting flat, the tape is holdig them in a 'stressed' curved shape. As a result there's a small apart of force trying to lift them off the tape. No motion seen over time. Tape seems to work.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita
Eva

Honda03842,
Thanks for the link. Your photos, research & comments have been most valuable to me.
I'm seriously considering the Sunflex panel for my installation.
Rather than do the homework, I;ll just nquire of you. No sense doing the research if you've already done the homework.
So, how does the EVA (Ethyline Vinyl Acetate hold up to prolonged exposure to ultra violet light? (sumlight) It may not turn out to be a factor for me, as I store my Casita indoors.
Thanks,
LKG907
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #20

Florida
LKG

I assume the EVA is the tape material. The way I used the tape between the panel and the roof, only the edge of the tape is visible. Since the tape's made for exterior use I'd be shocked if it was UV resistant.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
solar