Dry flush toilet offered by Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2021, 10:11 AM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't like porta potties either, but at least they don't require expensive bags. I wonder how costly the bags would be for a family of four for a week. Two adults and two small children. Kids pee often....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Porta-potties are still water-based, which puts you up against your fresh water storage limits when boondocking, as well as the small waste tank.

If you’re reasonably careful with what you allow into your grey tank I’m thinking you can use it to flush rather than your precious fresh water.

Add a few 5-gallon water jugs in the bed of your truck to extend your stay further.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:53 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Equating the use of a dry flush / composting toilet with being environmentally conscious is the biggest load of BS that I’ve seen / heard in a long time
Dumping your waste in a dumpster is nothing more than passing your problem on to some other poor unsuspecting soul .
Like the old saying goes “ Everyone can’t live upstream “

If you choose to utilize an alternative waste disposal system, so be it ,but moral / ecological superiority isn’t part of the choice .
We have an outhouse at our residence but I have no intentions of dragging it along with us , when we go
camping !
so what will your plan be for when you or someone you care for will have to dispose of your diapers or is that morraly iresponsable
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:19 AM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
so what will your plan be for when you or someone you care for will have to dispose of your diapers or is that morraly iresponsable
This subject has been debated to death and I stand by my post
If you believe that defecating in a waste basket or a trash can or dumpster is acceptable behavior / policy then my opinion that it is wrong is of no consequence .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
This subject has been debated to death and I stand by my post
If you believe that defecating in a waste basket or a trash can or dumpster is acceptable behavior / policy then my opinion that it is wrong is of no consequence .
Yes easy to say when you are sitting on your throne in a 21 ft trailer ,nice to have the luxury but there are many who don’t have that option . There are many more people that have to deal with waste other than the standard sewage system There are literally tons of s—t every day from hospitals ,nursing homes and many more sources every day taken to dumps or incinerated which is another problem itself than the small amount of weekend campers who properly dispose of a well sealed and engineered cartridge and not S —t in a bag as you say .
Old 04-19-2021, 12:37 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
As you like to 'represent' Happier Camper as an insider, it would probably be wise of you to not engage in arguments involving choices made by the company. Or, to at least run it by them. Or, at least be on the right side.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
As you like to 'represent' Happier Camper as an insider, it would probably be wise of you to not engage in arguments involving choices made by the company. Or, to at least run it by them. Or, at least be on the right side.
I am not representing Happier Camper on this topic this is a topic on Scamps position to offer this option and me knowing it’s use and advantages to anyone interested. This is something I have personal knowledge on its use and has no bearing on Happier Camper . Happier Camper only offers this toilet on the HC1 and anyone is free to choose another source for their trailer if this will not work for them .HC also offers
A black tank system or the dry flush for the HCT Which again is the customers choice .
Old 04-20-2021, 08:29 AM   #28

Arizona
Registry
Glenn, do you have a source indicating it is illegal to dispose of small quantities of properly sealed poo in the trash in BC or in Canada generally? That would certainly be useful information for someone considering any of the waterless systems and planning to travel in Canada.

As to whether it presents a hazard to waste removal workers, I see no reason why it should. If done correctly it’s in sealed containers with an agent to limit odors. Trash handling seems to be contactless now from curb to landfill. We're not talking about dropping it in an indoor wastepaper basket, but a dumpster outside.

Waterless systems are only intended for small quantities on an occasional basis where water or other facilities are not available. The economics of it is naturally self-limiting. Even those that have waterless systems tend to use public facilities when available. As you point out, modern sewage treatment facilities are far better equipped to hand human waste in quantity. I believe there is a residue of solid waste that does go to landfills after processing.

I don’t have a bone in this fight... err... friendly disagreement. At one time I did rig up a miniature separating toilet in a #10 can in order to spend a week kayak camping on Lake Powell, where the rule is “pack it out.” No plans to do anything like that again, but it was an amazing way to experience the lake.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:13 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Glenn, do you have a source indicating it is illegal to dispose of small quantities of properly sealed poo in the trash in BC or in Canada generally?

I do not, but I haven't looked. In BC we have recycling centres and government mandated bottle / can deposits. It's not illegal to throw your Coke can in the garbage because there isn't a law saying so, but it is discouraged.

Just like taking a dump on Pelosi's desk.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:45 AM   #30

Arizona
Registry
Am I smelling another false equivalence here?
Old 04-20-2021, 09:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Am I smelling another false equivalence here?

Could well be.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:56 AM   #32
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I do not, but I haven't looked. In BC we have recycling centres and government mandated bottle / can deposits. It's not illegal to throw your Coke can in the garbage because there isn't a law saying so, but it is discouraged.

Just like taking a dump on Pelosi's desk.
Careful Glen n been getting away with words like dump and s—t but mixing politics may be going to far
Old 04-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #33

Name: Cece
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 19’ :)
Ohio
Geez, my thread blew up behind my back! Sorry I have not replied sooner, but real life reared its ugly head.

I was inquiring about the dry flush because I will be ordering a new Scamp soon, am interested in exploring boondocking and free camping options. Also, the options and technology has changed so much since I went RVing with my parents back in the 80s. My first thoughts were that a dry flush would be simpler to deal with. No chemicals, no winterizing, no flushing tanks or worrying about leaking pipes or messy dump stations. Also, the dry flush doesn’t require keeping your urine separate, like a composting toilet.

I wasn’t too concerned about disposing of a sealed bag of waste in a dumpster. I do this every time I walk my dog. I was more worried about adding more plastic into the waste stream. Also resale value of the Scamp. Just because I could live with a dry flush system doesn’t mean a potential future buyer would want one.

I suppose I’ll wind up going with the conventional system. If I want to switch later, it would be easier to seal off a black tank and take out a toilet, than it would to install a flush system after market.

Next decision: roof AC or an extra solar panel?
Ceceoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:06 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Ontario
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceceoh View Post
Geez, my thread blew up behind my back! Sorry I have not replied sooner, but real life reared its ugly head.

I was inquiring about the dry flush because I will be ordering a new Scamp soon, am interested in exploring boondocking and free camping options. Also, the options and technology has changed so much since I went RVing with my parents back in the 80s. My first thoughts were that a dry flush would be simpler to deal with. No chemicals, no winterizing, no flushing tanks or worrying about leaking pipes or messy dump stations. Also, the dry flush doesn’t require keeping your urine separate, like a composting toilet.

I wasn’t too concerned about disposing of a sealed bag of waste in a dumpster. I do this every time I walk my dog. I was more worried about adding more plastic into the waste stream. Also resale value of the Scamp. Just because I could live with a dry flush system doesn’t mean a potential future buyer would want one.

I suppose I’ll wind up going with the conventional system. If I want to switch later, it would be easier to seal off a black tank and take out a toilet, than it would to install a flush system after market.

If you don’t want to see your posts blowup don’t use the words like flush, toilet,compost, or anything involving bodily functions.solar and ac will be ok.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:18 PM   #35

Ohio
Quote:
If you don’t want to see your posts blowup don’t use the words like flush, toilet,compost, or anything involving bodily functions.solar and ac will be ok.
I suppose “gas” should be avoided too? 😁
Old 04-24-2021, 08:31 PM   #36

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
You also may want to check what you throw in the garbage as some plastics and others products do much more harm to the environment than human waste will.
Having been in the adhesive business where we supplied the diaper market, they were one of the worst as far as landfill waste. First, they were a mix of paper, plastic and glue. Mixed waste means no chance of recycling. Secondly, they were "contaminated" with human waste, so obviously not recycling them at that point.

The estimates I have seen are it takes about 500 years for a disposable diaper to fully decompose. Landfills are full of them.

Its one of those "modern marvels" that is a waste generating disaster.

To those with interest, the diapers tended to use hot melt adhesive to glue them together. The disposable diaper invention was "great" for the glue business. And developing countries (think India and China) are starting to embrace the use of disposable diapers which is great for the adhesive industry.

I used to have to inspect landfills as part of my job. Only then do you get to experience what happens to the garbage you put on the curb to have picked up. The smell alone will turn your stomach. The endless piles of trash, much of it that could have been recycled, is disgusting as well. Out of sight, out of mind.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:41 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
I suppose “gas” should be avoided too? 😁
Trailers don’t run on gas so yes it needs to be avoided ,propane is ok
Old 04-25-2021, 06:35 AM   #38

Arizona
Registry
Quote:

I think you made a good call. "Boondocking and free camping" usually means no trash receptacle, so you'd be storing and carting out those bags of waste. The per use cost is very high, which diminishes the case for free. And last, some boondocking areas require a black tank system with a minimum tank size.

A/C or solar...

A/C requires an electrical hook-up or a large generator. OTOH, it's one of those things that's almost obligatory in some parts of the country. We don't have it, and in the West it's not as important, but if I were spec'ing a new trailer in Ohio, I'd at least want to make provision to add it later with space, reinforcement, and wiring in place.

Solar should be closely matched to your battery capacity and electrical use. Since the Scamp can operate high energy functions (heat, cooking, hot water, and fridge) on propane when off grid, most people find they can manage fine with a single 12V battery and a single 100W solar panel. If you're going to add an inverter to run household appliances off-grid, then you might need more battery as well as more solar.

If it were me, I'd include A/C if I thought I might do some summer camping in campgrounds with power, or leave the A/C space available and have it pre-wired and reinforced for an easy future install. I'd also have a separate powered roof vent. Finally I'd opt for a single 100W portable solar panel, which gives you more flexibility: park the trailer in the shade and locate the panel in full sun; orient and angle the panel in winter to maximize solar collection when the sun is low in the sky.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:08 AM   #39

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Our trailer has the factory rooftop A/C and two rooftop solar panels
If we could do it over I would eliminate one of the rooftop solar panels
One rooftop solar panel and the ability to utilize a portable solar panel makes more financial and energy sense for us
As far as A/C , I would not own a trailer without it
The theory that the roof fan moving hot air around will cool the trailer just doesn’t work for us - We like our sleep at night
Anytime it get’s close 80 deg F , I WANT A/C
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:56 PM   #40

Ohio
I do like my AC in Ohio, no doubt about it. But when I retire I want to spend a good deal of time in the western states or mountains. Also I worry about the thought of cutting holes in roofs, having seen the damage a leak around an A/C can do. I have considered skipping the roof air and going with a smaller portable unit inside. Used to be your only option was a roof top a/c, but times and technologies are changing.

Tags
scamp