Dry flush toilet offered by Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2021, 07:17 AM   #1

Name: Cece
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 19’ :)
Ohio
Dry flush toilet offered by Scamp

This is now an option on new Scamps. I have read the thread here about composting toilets - all 6 pages! - but didn’t see dry flush options mentioned. The pros seem to be that they are oderless, light weight, and you don’t have to separate the urine. The con would be the bag cartridges, as they’re more expensive to buy than peat moss, though lighter to pack.

I want to boondock, so a waterless toilet seems a good way to go, but wondered if anyone here has used the dry flush?
Ceceoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:51 PM   #2

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
subscribed to this thread
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #3

Name: wayne
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
Dry flush head

Watched their youtube. It looks kinda cool. My big issue is 'you just throw the bag in the trash'. Throwing raw sewage into a trashcan doesn't sound right, you can't just throw raw sewage away like that. At about $2 a flush it is also a costly endeavor. If I went this way I think the composting toilet is still a better alternative. Many boaters have gone with the composting toilet and I have been on boats with them and there was no smell. I went to a toilet that used only fresh water and resolved 98% of the smell (saltwater seems to be a real culprit in respect to odors). If campers used pump-outs like my sailboat not that is better than the current method to me. Dealing with poop is just a crappy situation
redfishnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishnc View Post
My big issue is 'you just throw the bag in the trash'.

Well, if you spare no thought for the person that has to empty the trash, or the environment; if you only think about yourself, it's no problem.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:58 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Happier Camper have been offering the Dry Flush toilet for 5 years without a single complaint on its use other than the high cost per flush ,the discarded cartridge is accepted at all landfills and is considered the same as infant or adult diapers which even some here may use . There has never been a complaint on smells in the trailer.Happier Camper also offer a black tank and toilet or a dry flush in the bathroom equipped HCT with most customers opting for the latter. To each his own.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:06 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Ontario
Of course I meant people on here with infants ?
Old 04-18-2021, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Of course I meant people on here with infants ?

Hope you realize that the contents of an infant's diaper are supposed to be flushed down the toilet to enter the municipal sewage treatment system. They are not to be thrown, full of crap, in a dumpster for maintenance employees to enjoy, or to leach into ground water.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:09 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Hope you realize that the contents of an infant's diaper are supposed to be flushed down the toilet to enter the municipal sewage treatment system. They are not to be thrown, full of crap, in a dumpster for maintenance employees to enjoy, or to leach into ground water.
All contents can be discarded in all landfills if placed in a separate container or bag the same that applies to diapers per the company website I would think a company that made the investment to sell their product would check with the regulations required
Old 04-18-2021, 09:15 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
You also may want to check what you throw in the garbage as some plastics and others products do much more harm to the environment than human waste will.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:01 PM   #10

Quote:
All contents can be discarded in all landfills

Is that why millions are spent on sewage treatment facilities?
Old 04-18-2021, 11:21 PM   #11

Quote:
You also may want to check what you throw in the garbage as some plastics and others products do much more harm to the environment than human waste will.

Bears poop in the woods.

AKA false equivalence.

This fallacy is committed when one shared trait between two subjects is assumed to show equivalence, especially in order of magnitude, when equivalence is not necessarily the logical result.[2] False equivalence is a common result when an anecdotal similarity is pointed out as equal, but the claim of equivalence does not bear scrutiny because the similarity is based on oversimplification or ignorance of additional factors. The pattern of the fallacy is often as such: "If A is the set of c and d, and B is the set of d and e, then since they both contain d, A and B are equal". d is not required to exist in both sets; only a passing similarity is required to cause this fallacy to be used.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:59 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Is that why millions are spent on sewage treatment facilities?
Hope you realize that the thousands of workers in sewage plants ,septic tank clean out services and even careless rv owners (just check out the movie RV) can come in contact with raw sewage ,but maybe they do not matter as much as the landfill worker up high on their bulldozer, The dry flush uses a completely sealed leakproof cartridge and is why it is pretty expensive and is usually used in emergencies or with careful planning the dry flush system is also used by many tiny home owners and those living off grid as they can be even more environmentally conscious then even RV owners.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:05 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The Great Poop Wars...

This has come up before and I have yet to see any links to official sources. The makers of adult incontinence diapers say it is legal to dispose in the trash, provided it is sealed inside a disposal bag.

Lots of information and discussions regarding baby diapers. The link below cites two official sources, the US EPA and a California agency. Neither appears to distinguish between infant and adult poo. Cliff notes version: in small quantities, human poo is considered non-hazardous solid waste by the EPA and the state of California, safe for landfills.
https://cafemom.com/parenting/124241..._putting_babys

I was unable to locate a primary source.

Glenn is in Canada, so their laws may well be different. There could also be more stringent local laws in some parts of the US. Private waste services may have their own rules.

I don’t think there is a simple answer, especially- legalities aside- whether it is best practice.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:10 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Bears poop in the woods.

AKA false equivalence.

This fallacy is committed when one shared trait between two subjects is assumed to show equivalence, especially in order of magnitude, when equivalence is not necessarily the logical result.[2] False equivalence is a common result when an anecdotal similarity is pointed out as equal, but the claim of equivalence does not bear scrutiny because the similarity is based on oversimplification or ignorance of additional factors. The pattern of the fallacy is often as such: "If A is the set of c and d, and B is the set of d and e, then since they both contain d, A and B are equal". d is not required to exist in both sets; only a passing similarity is required to cause this fallacy to be used.
yes bears and every other animal and with livestock being the largest producer of methane and greenhouse gas I do not think a responsible dry flush owner disposing of a well sealed cartridge a few times a year is going to pose much of a problem .
Old 04-19-2021, 06:16 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The Great Poop Wars...

This has come up before and I have yet to see any links to official sources. The makers of adult incontinence diapers say it is legal to dispose in the trash, provided it is sealed inside a disposal bag.

Lots of information and discussions regarding baby diapers. This link cites two official sources, the US EPA and a California agency. Neither appears to distinguish between infant and adult poo. Cliff notes version: in small quantities, human poo is considered non-hazardous solid waste by the EPA and the state of California, safe for landfills.
[url]https://cafemom.com/parenting/124241-a_law_against_putting_babys[/
I was unable to locate a primary source.

Glenn is in Canada, so their laws may well be different. There could also be more stringent local laws in some parts of the US. Private waste services may have their own rules.

I don’t think there is a simple answer, especially- legalities aside- whether it is best practice.
Agreed not a simple answer ,until people stop pooping it all has to go somewhere.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:55 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have no desire for a dry flush toilet nor a composting toilet. A marine toilet works just fine. Dumping a black tank isn't difficult or gross.

Sometime I may wish to boondock and will want to watch my water consumption (I have a 28 gallon fresh water tank). In this case, I'm going to use a WAG bag inside the toilet (with the water shut off) and will use the toilet seat to hold it in place. So see, an RV toilet CAN be adapted, but not a dry flush toilet or composting toilet.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:09 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have no desire for a dry flush toilet nor a composting toilet. A marine toilet works just fine. Dumping a black tank isn't difficult or gross.

Sometime I may wish to boondock and will want to watch my water consumption (I have a 28 gallon fresh water tank). In this case, I'm going to use a WAG bag inside the toilet (with the water shut off) and will use the toilet seat to hold it in place. So see, an RV toilet CAN be adapted, but not a dry flush toilet or composting toilet.
So what will be your plan to dispose of the wag bag and it is easy for those to make that choice in a bathroom black tank equipped trailer but not so much in a smaller trailer or one with out that option your really not comparing apples to apples. here
Old 04-19-2021, 08:17 AM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
So what will be your plan to dispose of the wag bag and it is easy for those to make that choice in a bathroom black tank equipped trailer but not so much in a smaller trailer or one with out that option your really not comparing apples to apples. here
WAG bags use Poo Powder® gelling/deodorizing agent, which was developed by NASA for use on the International Space Station. After use, the bags going into the trash. Poo Powder is non-toxic and does not contain harmful chemicals.

My comment only stated why I didn't want a dry flush toilet NOR a composting toilet. I have options, those don't offer any.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:06 AM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Hope you realize that the thousands of workers in sewage plants ,septic tank clean out services and even careless rv owners (just check out the movie RV) can come in contact with raw sewage ,but maybe they do not matter as much as the landfill worker up high on their bulldozer, The dry flush uses a completely sealed leakproof cartridge and is why it is pretty expensive and is usually used in emergencies or with careful planning the dry flush system is also used by many tiny home owners and those living off grid as they can be even more environmentally conscious then even RV owners.
Equating the use of a dry flush / composting toilet with being environmentally conscious is the biggest load of BS that I’ve seen / heard in a long time
Dumping your waste in a dumpster is nothing more than passing your problem on to some other poor unsuspecting soul .
Like the old saying goes “ Everyone can’t live upstream “

If you choose to utilize an alternative waste disposal system, so be it ,but moral / ecological superiority isn’t part of the choice .
We have an outhouse at our residence but I have no intentions of dragging it along with us , when we go
camping !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:09 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
WAG bags use Poo Powder® gelling/deodorizing agent, which was developed by NASA for use on the International Space Station. After use, the bags going into the trash. Poo Powder is non-toxic and does not contain harmful chemicals.

My comment only stated why I didn't want a dry flush toilet NOR a composting toilet. I have options, those don't offer any.
Dry flush cartridges have no need for any chemical add ons as they are completely sealed away from any contact so I don’t really see the difference and I still do not see if someone has a better option for those not having a black tank bathroom

Tags
scamp