Dual LPG tank & 6v battery upgrade with puck lock - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #21

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
This is exactly what I noticed and wondered about. I've been waiting for some Hymer owners to comment on stability.

The percentage of tongue weight to overall weight is of little concern to me, as it doesn't tell the whole story. Mine, for instance is only about 7%, but very stable. As you know, when you lengthen the tongue, the percentage goes down, but the stability goes up. I think you are on the right track with a longer tongue, and the addition of more weight on the tongue is much better than adding the weight somewhere else.
Hey John how's your new rig? The Hymer definitely needs to be extended for better stability. All the Hymers originally came with surge brakes and longer coupling containing the hydraulics. When mine was converted to electric they used a shorter coupling which exacerbated the problem even more. I did drive it back from Buffalo NY to Eastern Wa and then from Eastern Wa to Las Vegas without much difficulty but I'd love to extend the tongue for piece of mind. Are you going to Quartzsite this year?
Old 01-24-2020, 12:01 AM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Steve,

We just left Quartzsite this morning. People were still coming in. We were out by Dome Rock. We had a great time with the Oliver group, and are traveling with Russ and Janie McNight.

Tonight we are near Joshua Tree and tomorrow we'll be heading into Death Valley to the hot springs.

The new HQ19 is working out very well now, after a few initial glitches. Extremely comfortable, and capable in the rocks. Lots of people want to see it. Did you see Episodes 3 and 4 of the Moab trip and the stair steps? If not, check out 7 Mile Rim, Episode 4 from RVs of America.

I'm still hoping to cross paths with you and get a tour of your Hymer.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:39 AM   #23

Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Hey John how's your new rig?
I'm slowly getting it dialed in. It's a lot more like buying a new house than buying a new car.

Quote:
The Hymer definitely needs to be extended for better stability. All the Hymers originally came with surge brakes and longer coupling containing the hydraulics. When mine was converted to electric they used a shorter coupling which exacerbated the problem even more.
I just converted mine to electrical; the non-hydraulic coupler is only 2" shorter. So you're not suffering much more than the rest of us. The 24" extension seems to have helped a lot. I say "seems" because the first trip with it was also the first time I've towed it with a full water tank, so I can't say for sure (yet) which helped more. The combination of both helped a lot, though.

Quote:
Are you going to Quartzsite this year?
That's the plan. I was hoping to be there for a few days this week to see the big tent show. But I'm dawdling on my solar system install and want to have it finished before I go so we can run the fridge the whole time. And leave the cooler at home. I'm hoping to arrive on the 4th or 5th. Are you there yet?
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:08 AM   #24

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJohn View Post
I'm slowly getting it dialed in. It's a lot more like buying a new house than buying a new car.
PREACH! The next trailer we buy will be a cakewalk.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:48 AM   #25

Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
PREACH! The next trailer we buy will be a cakewalk.
I’m quoting this for later.
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:45 PM   #26

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Mighty fine job you did there, thanks for the excellent photos. Where did you buy the Crowns? I am apparently in a dead zone for them marketing wise, their distributor rep never got back to me with a retailer. I suppose they are only interested in selling eight batteries to a golf cart owner and could not be bothered selling me two. I did actually offer to buy four if that helped.
Have you checked with a local golf cart dealer/maintainer? We got our Crown 12 volt golf cart battery at a local golf cart seller. They had 6 volt also, and Trojans too.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery