Dummy proofing a 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2022, 11:12 AM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Utah
Dummy proofing a 13' Scamp

Hi all, I am going to be renting out my 70's 13' scamp . I have done some upgrades over the years, I have added a Propex heater under the main bed that works great, and a new stock 3 way fridge. I am looking for ways to make this very user friendly so I can do a quick hand off and get my renters on their way. The fridge is a little worrisome because the 3 way can be confusing and lighting it on propane can take a bit of work to make work.

What would you do to make a scamp easier for a newbie?
jimkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:24 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I would look up the rental users manual that Uhaul put in their campers when they rented them to get an idea of what renters may need to know. Then I would think about why Uhaul gave up renting campers after just a few years. Then myself I would think about the horror stories a couple friends told me about renting out their campers, and then I would give up the whole idea. But for you the Uhaul manual may help figure out what info to provide renters.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:39 PM   #3

Utah
Any idea where to find the Uhaul rental manual?
Old 01-19-2022, 02:56 PM   #4

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
If you aren't going to use the trailer anymore, now or this spring would be a great time to sell. Make your money and be done!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:35 PM   #5

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Nothing parties like a rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkill View Post
Any idea where to find the Uhaul rental manual?
The UHAUL manual is more than out dated and may not include the refrigerator.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...do=file&id=166
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:38 PM   #6

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
Hope you have deep pockets or require a very large deposit upfront
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:40 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Insurance is also going to cost more for commercial use.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:54 PM   #8

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
The UHAUL manual is more than out dated and may not include the refrigerator.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...do=file&id=166
Correct, Uhauls had a ice box. I was thinking the user manual may just give an idea what to tell renters. Not necessarily use the whole thing. I don't remember all that is in it.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:37 PM   #9

Utah
I'm well aware of terrible renters and insurance costs. I didn't ask about the logistics of renting, I'd really like some ideas on how to make a scamp dummy proof. I have a 13' and a 16' foot and have owned scamps for more than 10 years now, I'm not some kid with a get rich scheme, I'd just like to share one of my trailers with other people.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:54 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm not some kid with a get rich scheme
Well, just carry on then. You don't need our input.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:26 AM   #11

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Yep, good luck!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:14 AM   #12
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Quote:
I'm well aware of terrible renters and insurance costs. I didn't ask about the logistics of renting, I'd really like some ideas on how to make a scamp dummy proof. I have a 13' and a 16' foot and have owned scamps for more than 10 years now, I'm not some kid with a get rich scheme, I'd just like to share one of my trailers with other people.
Well, if you’ve been watching this site, you got some Valuable advice. They don’t add sugar coating to make you happy.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:16 AM   #13

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I think that every attempt to rent small campers has resulted in generation of trashed units. The military tried it with Scamps renting to their own people and the result was a big sale of deteriorated units and they no longer do that.
Good luck with your endeavors if you go forward with your plan to rent your unit.
There are many ways to screw up a trailer from turning too tight at the gas pump and crashing into a bollard to improper loading and sway, backing into something while parking to leaving food and trash and attracting insects and smells.
I would think the best rule would be for the "renter" to make a deposit equal to the value of the camper and you refund the "rental" price when it is returned in god condition.
Basically a sale with a buy back clause if returned.
Still I think it is a bad Idea. I won't even let my kids use our camper! ( I know them too well...)
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:32 AM   #14
MJo

Massachusetts
I can think of a zillion things that could happen that you wouldn’t find out about. How about leaving a window open in the rain and water getting down into the insulation? Think about the care the Scamp needs and what it took for you to learn. Can you put it in a ‘Renters handbook’ and expect a renter to follow it? People rent so that they don’t have to do the long term stuff, ‘rent and go.’ No magical way to make sure you only rent to people who would take care. And the reason the insurance is high is because there are a lot of costly claims.. Using a Scamp isn’t for “Dumbies.”
Old 01-20-2022, 10:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
Can you put it in a ‘Renters handbook’ and expect a renter to follow it
The answers to many of the questions on these forums can be found in the manuals that come with the trailer. Why would a renter consider reading a manual when owners don't?
Old 01-20-2022, 12:02 PM   #16
MJo

Massachusetts
dummy proofing a 13’ Scamp

Quote:
Everyone has given you what they think would be good advice. But looking at your query, it seems to me that with all your experience, and you can’t figure out how to ‘dummy proof’ your Scamp, you’ve answered your own question. There’s no way to prevent damage to your Scamp. If you had unlimited means, (Elon Musk?) maybe you could dip it in a plastic vat that would seal it. Otherwise. The reason it’s so popular is that it has a lot of features, (which also makes it vulnerable to a lot that could go wrong.)
Old 01-20-2022, 12:52 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Generally...Would you rather buy a used rental car or a used one owner car?

I have owned a BUNCH of fiberglass trailers and I can tell you that a conscientious and knowledgeable user is essential to keep one in good shape.

I have also rented out housing.
Renters (in general) just don't care, what they lack in skill they make worse with negligence. Some even stoop to abuse!

What about insurance or a HUGH damage/ cleaning deposit?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:15 PM   #18

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Dummy proof a RV? You can't dummy proof a RV or Travel Trailer. I once loaned out my utility trailer and got that back messed up. Just way to many STUPIDS our there!!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:20 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 13 Layout B
Washington
I'd start with a checklist, written in plain english. 1. How to hook up. 2. What to do before you drive off (mirrors, lights, brake controller!). 3. How to tow. 4. How to set up in full service campsites and "others." 5. How to pack up; what to do with waste water etc. A good renter with a financial interest would read and refer back. Contrary to popular belief you can fix stupid -- but it requires the teacher to be smarter than the student.
sweendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:36 PM   #20

New York
We have been going to one KOA for several years for a rally. The previous campground owners bought one of those re-issue / reproduction Shastas to rent out. But it stayed in their campground, didn't move. They didn't allow cooking in it. They eventually learned that it was a poorly built camper and sold it. Then sold the campground. I've seen other ads for camper rentals, but the owner delivers the trailer to a campground, sets it up, and picks it up when the renter is done. The Uhaul we owned had repaired damage front and rear, probably caused by renters that had no idea about towing or parking a trailer. I too loaned out a utility trailer to a friend who jackknifed it and damaged the tongue.

Tags
scamp