Electronic Ignition Water Heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Electronic Ignition Water Heater

Can a electronic ignition water heater be installed in a scamp camper? I noticed that casita offers one but it isn't listed as an option for the scamp. Can I have one installed either by Scamp or by an independent business.
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:36 PM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Gas/Electric with DSI is an option on new orders

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #3

Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Thanks Brian.
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:08 PM   #4

Name: Steven
Trailer: Scamp 13 on order
Ontario
Cost of gas-only to gas/electric water heater?

Hi, I'm new here - we recently ordered a Scamp 13 for pickup in the spring. It has the gas-only water heater, but after reading this thread it seems it might be a good idea to upgrade to gas/electric if it's not that expensive. It would be much more convenient for electric campsites.

Any idea as to the cost just to give me an idea? Otherwise I'll give Alan a(nother) call.

Steve
Steve McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:59 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McG View Post
Hi, I'm new here - we recently ordered a Scamp 13 for pickup in the spring. It has the gas-only water heater, but after reading this thread it seems it might be a good idea to upgrade to gas/electric if it's not that expensive. It would be much more convenient for electric campsites.

Any idea as to the cost just to give me an idea? Otherwise I'll give Alan a(nother) call.

Steve
I made the mistake of not ordering the Gas and Elec. thinking it would add about $400 on to my pkg. But it would only be a couple hundred more because i already had the gas price on to the Pkg. I misunderstood the process. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
I made the mistake of not ordering the Gas and Elec. thinking it would add about $400 on to my pkg. But it would only be a couple hundred more because i already had the gas price on to the Pkg. I misunderstood the process. Carl
$200 is what Escape charges for the upgrade to dual fuel too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
When I bought my Scamp, I tried to get a gas/electric upgrade but it was not offered at that time. I was disappointed until I discovered just how efficient the gas only water heater really is.
I actually see the pilot light as a distinct advantage since the pilot alone keeps the water hot once the temperature has been reached.
The water stays hot indefinitely without the burner until a substantial amount is used, such as a shower.
Electronic ignition would likely cause the heater to ignite more often, resulting in very little ,if any, fuel savings.
Imagine how long the pilot, and/or the burner, would need to run to pay for the cost of the shore electric heat option.
Stove , furnace, and water heater combined we use less than a 20# tank of propane per year.(about $15)
If the difference is $200 for purchase then at even $20 per year It would take 10 years to amortize the initial cost alone, and that's if you never used the propane side.
My conclusion is that the "propane only" water heater is convenient, reliable and by far the most economical to buy and operate, of the choices available.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
When I bought my Scamp, I tried to get a gas/electric upgrade but it was not offered at that time. I was disappointed until I discovered just how efficient the gas only water heater really is.
I actually see the pilot light as a distinct advantage since the pilot alone keeps the water hot once the temperature has been reached.
The water stays hot indefinitely without the burner until a substantial amount is used, such as a shower.
Electronic ignition would likely cause the heater to ignite more often, resulting in very little ,if any, fuel savings.
Imagine how long the pilot, and/or the burner, would need to run to pay for the cost of the shore electric heat option.
Stove , furnace, and water heater combined we use less than a 20# tank of propane per year.(about $15)
If the difference is $400 for purchase then at even $20 per year It would take 20 years to amortize the initial cost alone, and that's if you never used the propane side.
My conclusion is that the "propane only" water heater is convenient, reliable and by far the most economical to buy and operate of the choices available.
The newer propane hot water heaters do not have a pilot light. It has an electronic ignite run on 12 volt. This is so you don't have to go outside and light the pilot light that never stayed lit anyway on a windy day. We have the electric/propane hot water tank and love the electric part for when we are on shore power. Saves our propane for dry camping. You don't want to run both at the same time either. You do have to go out and flip a switch for the electric option and you don't want to forget to turn it off when you unhook from electric. If you plug in the trailer to keep it warm and the hot water tank is empty then you'll burn it up.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #9

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 19'
Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
The newer propane hot water heaters do not have a pilot light. It has an electronic ignite run on 12 volt. This is so you don't have to go outside and light the pilot light that never stayed lit anyway on a windy day. We have the electric/propane hot water tank and love the electric part for when we are on shore power. Saves our propane for dry camping. You don't want to run both at the same time either. You do have to go out and flip a switch for the electric option and you don't want to forget to turn it off when you unhook from electric. If you plug in the trailer to keep it warm and the hot water tank is empty then you'll burn it up.
My Scamp 2015 came with the dual fuel style water heater and is controlled only from inside. I can set to propane by the flip of a switch and then over to electric by a flip of the switch. Auto igniting when on propane. Yes you can run on both propane and electric which makes recovery time about a minute and if in a campground with hookups, you can actually take long hot showers.

I had this upgrade put in mine when I ordered it. Glad that I did now as it provides much more convenience. Also when being able to control from inside, I never have to go out and switch things or light pilot lights. Very efficient since there is no pilot light and only comes on when the temp of water lowers. During normal camping, once the water heater is up to temp, mine only comes on about 2 time per day to maintain water temp.

The dual fuel is the way to go, but propane only is also efficient.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Just checked, and pilot ignition hot water heaters are still available and at remarkable prices from Atwood and Suburban.
I haven't checked to see if Scamp has quit installing them.
The point of my post was to say that the amount of propane saved for most campers would be negligible. Few Scamp owners spend more time in their campers than we do, and I think that it would take months more time per year with shorepower for us to objectively justify the cost.

Now subjective justification is another matter all together...
If you like it and can afford it, you should get it!
My camper is loaded with options and devices which enhance our enjoyment, but could hardly be objectively justified as necessities!
(The icemaker for example, does actually save money and offers great convenience.)

The difference in the price of water heaters would buy an icemaker and a 19" television or a microwave and portable heater.
How about a heatstrip in the A/C and 5 extra lights? That would save a lot more propane compared to running the furnace!
Old 12-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleming View Post
Also when being able to control from inside, I never have to go out and switch things or light pilot lights.
I do understand the convenience, but I found out that on my trailer I must go outside when I set up, to extend my stabilizers, disconnect and level the trailer,hook to shorepower, extend the awning, etc.
So while I'm at it I take a few seconds and light the hotwater heater and set the fridge.
It also occurs to me that if I wasn't planning to go outside I could just camp inside my heated shop and I would never know the difference with the curtains closed!
Old 12-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I do understand the convenience, but I found out that on my trailer I must go outside when I set up, to extend my stabilizers, disconnect and level the trailer,hook to shorepower, extend the awning, etc.
So while I'm at it I take a few seconds and light the hotwater heater and set the fridge.
It also occurs to me that if I wasn't planning to go outside I could just camp inside my heated shop and I would never know the difference with the curtains closed!

Unique idea Floyd! That gives a whole new meaning to driveway camping, and you don't have to run the furnace to stay warm.👍

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Unique idea Floyd! That gives a whole new meaning to driveway camping, and you don't have to run the furnace to stay warm.👍

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Yeah, but he would have to be careful in the middle of the night when he steps out to use a tree.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Our 2013 Casita came with the gas / electric , DSI water heater .
The water heater works great on electric . Don"t know about propane cause we have never tried or used it on propane.
It probably works great on propane but I will leave it to the next owner to find out.

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I'm a lot like Steve with my HWH usage. I have the upgrade DSI Propane/Electric model, and I think I turned on the Propane one time, shortly after I bought it, to make sure it worked. I'm not knocking the Propane-only model for those so inclined, but I don't "boondock," and so I like having my full hook-ups, or at the very least, power and water. Since I'm already paying for electricity, by golly, I'm going to use it to the max. WTH, I'm paying for it. When you get charged the same flat rate for power as the guy next to you with the 45 foot Diesel-pusher "sun-blocker," (who uses more electricity in an hour than I do in an entire day,) why would I pay for electricity, and then spend even more money by using my Propane as well? Doesn't make sense for my type of camping.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:42 PM   #16

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I guess the advantage I see is with the problem of spiders nesting in the pilot light, the electric option would make that a non issue.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #17

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleming View Post
My Scamp 2015 came with the dual fuel style water heater and is controlled only from inside. I can set to propane by the flip of a switch and then over to electric by a flip of the switch. Auto igniting when on propane. Yes you can run on both propane and electric which makes recovery time about a minute and if in a campground with hookups, you can actually take long hot showers.

I had this upgrade put in mine when I ordered it. Glad that I did now as it provides much more convenience. Also when being able to control from inside, I never have to go out and switch things or light pilot lights. Very efficient since there is no pilot light and only comes on when the temp of water lowers. During normal camping, once the water heater is up to temp, mine only comes on about 2 time per day to maintain water temp.

The dual fuel is the way to go, but propane only is also efficient.
I love the new feature you have of controlling the electric and propane start of the hot water heater from inside. I can only start mine on propane from inside with a flip of a switch but there's no pilot just an electronic igniter. Having the switch inside would make it easier to not forget the electric switch was on. Don't know why they didn't do that in the beginning on all of them.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
I love the new feature you have of controlling the electric and propane start of the hot water heater from inside. I can only start mine on propane from inside with a flip of a switch but there's no pilot just an electronic igniter. Having the switch inside would make it easier to not forget the electric switch was on. Don't know why they didn't do that in the beginning on all of them.
The inside switch can be bought as a kit, aftermarket.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:19 AM   #19

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Back on thread...Camco sells what's called:
RV HOT WATER HYBRID HEAT
I saw it in my dealers catalog and it was for sale in 2015 for
6 gal $114.95
10 gal $129.95
comes with
On off power switch w/mounting brckt.
adj. thermostat
All wiring
factory preset to 120 degree adj from 90 to 150
I do not have one but this may be an option your looking for. It looks like it goes into the drain plug
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #20

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Yep, the old "Hot Rod" heater element work-around. It replaces your sacrificial anode, because it screws into that same threaded port on the HWH. But the trade-off then is you have no sac. anode to protect your water heater if you use one of those.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp