Eliminate the roof vent? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2019, 10:58 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp
Utah
Eliminate the roof vent?

There are a few modifications I am thinking of doing while I repair and renovate my Scamp 13. I had, for example, debated removing the sink and water system, but then watched a van conversion video where the guy's biggest gripe was no water or sink for simple things like brushing teeth and washing hands. I was pretty convinced, so I think it will stay (though I might simplify it).

On to the point. I am considering doing away with the roof vent. I've seen people have issues with it (leaks, breakage), I hit my head on the handle, and I plan on running a window AC all the time, so I don't think I'd use the vent much for temperature control. I understand it also serves as an emergency exit... but I feel like I could kick out one of the big windows if I had to. Also, it will fit in my garage without the vent, and be more aerodynamic as well.

Am I crazy? I'd love to hear some experienced perspective (nicely please!)
michaelrcolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:05 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrcolton View Post
There are a few modifications I am thinking of doing while I repair and renovate my Scamp 13. I had, for example, debated removing the sink and water system, but then watched a van conversion video where the guy's biggest gripe was no water or sink for simple things like brushing teeth and washing hands. I was pretty convinced, so I think it will stay (though I might simplify it).

On to the point. I am considering doing away with the roof vent. I've seen people have issues with it (leaks, breakage), I hit my head on the handle, and I plan on running a window AC all the time, so I don't think I'd use the vent much for temperature control. I understand it also serves as an emergency exit... but I feel like I could kick out one of the big windows if I had to. Also, it will fit in my garage without the vent, and be more aerodynamic as well.

You can remove the handle, you won't need it if you are not going to open it. But if you need to put it in the garage then just take out the ceiling vent. Make it a reversible process with a flat closure panel instead of glassing in the hole. That way you can change your mind later if you want to.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:37 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
man, on both our casita 16 and our escape 21, when boondocking, the ventilation fan is a life saver.

i just got home today from 5 nights at a star party... i was up late outside each night, and went to bed just before dawn, then slept til 11 or noon. at 6 or 7 am, when the sun rose and it warmed up, I'd wake up a bit, shut off the heater, and turn on the fan, then lay back down half nekkid under the fan without blankets, and it would keep me cool ....

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:53 AM   #4

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
While I rarely use the fan, the vent stays opened most of the time; especially if it’s warm outside.
Hot air rises and an opened vent gives it an exit.
The vent is always opened while driving. Keeps the trailer air nice and fresh.
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:09 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Colorado View Post
The vent is always opened while driving. Keeps the trailer air nice and fresh.
This of course goes against the instructions and recommendations for a few reasons including increased likelihood of breakage and allowing more dirt inside.

But back to the question.. yes you are crazy. But only because you plan on "running a window AC all the time."

I'm pretty sure you will want a roof vent, and one with a fan also. But even if you really do never use it, its still good to have to keep the camper ventilated when in storage to reduce issues with moisture and mold. Of course a cover or a carport / garage would be needed to keep the rain from coming through the vent. The Fantastic Fan roof vent/fans can have a cover added and the Maxxair ones come with built in rain covers.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:31 AM   #6

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
"This of course goes against the instructions and recommendations for a few reasons including increased likelihood of breakage and allowing more dirt inside."

The vent has a cover. Standard issue with my Escape. No dirt problems over the last 20+ years with a variety of covered vents.
To each his own.
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I would get rid of A/C before I got rid of a ceiling vent/fan as we are more often not connected to 120V so the A/C can't get used. Besides, I avoid super hot climates for camping as much as possible. Our fan gets a lot of use mostly for drawing hot/warm air out of the trailer during the day and at night. Turned low, our MaxxFan is very quiet too. Turned high it moved a lot of air.

Even if you are connected to 120V and can use the A/C, I like the fan for moving fresh air into the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I agree with Jim B , the fan is too valuable to eliminate
The fan allows you to have positive ventillation when camping without hookups
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:13 AM   #9

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
I installed a boat solar powered fan in my van which I use for short, overnight trips, it keeps the van smelling fresh and has not leaked since I installed it in 2008. It does not add a lot of height (about 2") in ground clearance. Just might be your solution and it does not run the battery down.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #10

Name: Alan
Trailer: 1983 Casita & 1972 home-built
Oregon
I have been using a couple of standard flat 14 x 14 roof vents with no fan or rain shield in my home-built for decades. They only stick up a couple inches, and don't admit much rain even when while opened a useful amount. I have driven thousands of miles with the rear-facing one open a couple inches.

If raindrops getting through are a big problem, you could set a rain shield in place while parked and take it off while moving. Heck, even a plastic produce box with one side cut out would do that job.

Indoor Air Quality turns out to be very critical for good health. Anything you can do to improve ventilation indoors is well worth doing.
ARVZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:32 AM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
California
Keep the Vent we always crack the vent when sleeping nights. Not healthy to remove it. We also use the fan when needed when warmer during morning cooking time, or afternoon napping.
CasitaMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:18 AM   #12
GOB

Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Roof vent

Lot people talking about the fan. I did not see any mention of a fan, just a vent.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #13

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOB View Post
Lot people talking about the fan. I did not see any mention of a fan, just a vent.
only RV roof vents I've seen have had fans in them, and you can't have a fan without a vent for the fan to suck air in our out, so....
Old 07-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #14
GOB

Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Roof vent

My vent does not have a fan and I have never had a trailer with a fan vent.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
I have only owned 4 trailers and they all had fans in the ceiling vent. Seems strange to me not to have a fan, as they really help move the air.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #16

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
huh, even our late 80s Starcraft tent trailer had a fan in its roof vent.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #17

North Carolina
Quote:
If lots of people are talking about the fan then there is A LOT of mention of a fan. And the reason is that the OP asked for advice and a roof vent with a fan is much better than one without. We're here to help him get a camper he enjoys.

Quote:
Well it makes a big difference, hence all the people recommending it.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #18

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrcolton View Post

Why would you not want water or air circulation? If you don't want anything in your trailer why not just use a tent? A/C is not as important as water and a toilet. I just don't understand why Scamp owners remove all the stuff in their trailers.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:33 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
I've found and repaired several leaks in our 16ft. Casita but nary a leak in the vent as of yet. My Casita is an older model so the ceiling height isn't as high as the newer models. I can sympathize with hitting one'e head on the lifting crank. I have toyed around with the idea of enlarging the hole slightly before fiberglassing in a small bump in the roof to allow the vent to be raised with the crank at least flush with the interior ceiling. But I have too many other projects going on so that one is on the back burner.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #20

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
... I just don't understand why Scamp owners remove all the stuff in their trailers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mike View Post
I've found and repaired several leaks in our ...
Well.. question asked and answered. But even if it was not meant to be the answer to the question of why people take things out, I do think that leaks of various types are one of the main reasons that people remove things. I removed my water heater after the shutoff valve developed a leak and I realized that I did not need the water heater. People remove propane because of a fear of leaks (often more fear than is warranted). People remove roof vents and since I have two, I will seal up the larger one when the time comes.

But somethings are worth taking the chance of a leak and I think a roof vent is one of them.