ElPea Goes Solar - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
First I would like to thank all the people on the forums who shared their solar power advice and experience. Based on those posts I decided to add a 50 Watt roof mounted solar unit to the ElPea. Based on our limited power use (water pump, some lights at night, no furnace), I decided that the roof mount and forget system would work for us. I opted on one piece of advice and routed the power cable through the black water vent pipe. This is a great way to bring a cable into the egg without boring a large hole in the roof. I used a line of VHB tape to stick the cable to the roof; I then caulked around it and painted it white. I also painted the inside run in the bathroom. I put the control panel behind an overhead cabinet door to eliminate one more blinking light inside the egg. All and all a good mod. Thanks everyone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Solar.JPG Views: 193 Size: 97.3 KB ID: 18676" style="margin: 2px" />
Paul Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Looks good! I would, however, put an air-dam across the front edge of the panel (not the sides) to stop the 60+ mph (gale force) wind from getting under the panel at freeway speeds and pulling it off the roof.

Did you change your interior lights to LEDs?
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Have not done the LED's yet. Might someday if we pull more from the battery than expected. I used VHB tape to hold the brackets to the roof (okay and one bolt each after my wife asked for the second time "are you sure it will not come off". A member of the Casita Club forum did a similar mount on his egg using VHB tape. I think he has over 9,000 miles on the set up with no problems. Believe me when I say that tape works! Not really tape so much as a ribbon of high bond glue.
Paul Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Yea, LED replacements are pricey at around $20 each. If you find your energy demands are more than your panel produces, try replacing just your two most-used bulbs with LED panels. That way youget your biggest bang for the buck.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel