enlarging bed in Bigfoot 25B21FB - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: looking
Manitoba
enlarging bed in Bigfoot 25B21FB

Hello all

This is my first post here.

My wife and I are considering a Bigfoot 25B21FB but the bed is very narrow for us. There is a nightstand next to the bed and it seems to me I could remove the nightstand and widen the bed into that space to make room for a queen-size mattress.

This is purely theoretical thinking in that I've never seen a Bigfoot in person, only photos.

Someone else must have come up this idea in the past. Is it do-able?

Thanks for any input.

Lyle
Lyle B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #2

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
anything's possible....I guess....

the floor plan shows a 54" bed.....a queen is 60"...quite a bit of trouble and expense for a 10% increase in width....

something to keep in mind as well is a bed against a wall typically feels a little wider than one with access from both sides.... the "wall person" can sleep right up to the edge.....can't do that with a bed in the middle of a room
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #3

Manitoba
Thanks for the input Franswa.

I see you have Bigfoot. Any idea if and how that night stand is attached? It seems it wouldn't be too difficult to make the platform 6" wider and add a queen mattress if the night stand was removed. The nightstand almost seems to be free-standing but I would guess probably not. From what I can see there is easily 6" of space on that edge of the bed.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:32 AM   #4

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
It looks like it will be impossible to
get around the bed if widened. Might as well make that entire area a platform. If it was me is leave it alone.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #5

Manitoba
Thanks for your input, NS
Old 06-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #6

Name: Lonny
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
British Columbia
Lyle,
This little nite stand is actually used to house the furnace. You will notice only the top of the cabinet has a small drawer in it and the vent below.

If you were to widen the bed, you would have to house the furnace as part of the reconstruction, but it is doable. I would say the only issue might be increased difficulty in making up the bed as you now have 3 sides to tuck the sheets into.

The other consideration might be ( and likely the reason to not do it) is the walkway at the bottom of the bed is now reduced significantly to get to the closet to the point of having to hop over the mattress each time.

Another consideration, is the resale value once completed with a major mod like this might not be desirable to many folks as compared to the stock bed design.

Otherwise a doable mod if the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Hope this helps!
lonnyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #7

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
That's a good point.

The only thing I don't like about my camper is making the bed.

The cabover area is very hard to reach to make the bed. I have to start at the foot and it never looks the way I want it to.

I'm thinking about using clips , bails and bungee cords to hold three sides in place.

A made up bed makes the camper look really nice, but takes way more work than it should.

I also have and extra layer to protect my bedding and pillows from my dogs.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #8

Manitoba
Hi Lonny. We spoke about your trailer.
Thank you for the very valuable input (once again). That is exactly what I was looking for, some insight into the actual construction of the night stand.
I'm all for reversable mods that work but can be undone so as not to ruin something for re-sale.
Your comments give me a better idea of what I'm looking at and what I have to consider to make this work. Much appreicated.
The beds in many RVs seem so small, 36" and 48". Are they meant for single ppl or do couples need to get used to sleeping in confined spaces? Our smallest bed at home is a queen. We have slept in doubles but feel very cramped. We are not large ppl- both about 5'10. That's somewhat tall for a woman but she's not heavy. I'm a moderate 190 lbs.

Tags
bigfoot