Ensolite Seams - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2021, 08:01 PM   #1

Name: Hannah
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Ensolite Seams

I have just purchased my first fibreglass trailer! A 1973 Boler. The cleaning process has begun and I've started by cleaning the ensolite walls, most of the foam seams were starting to come off so I decided to just peel them all off. Now my question is, should I purchase new seam covers? or should I be caulking the seams? Some of them have a pretty decadent size seams so I feel like id have to be jamming a lot of caulking into it to fill the whole. hoping to get some advise for what other people have done and what there experience was with it.

thanks!
hannahzaharik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
If your not painting the ensolite I would just use double sided foam tape and put baking powder on the exposed side, simple and has held for years although I may replace some this year.
Fred
Old 03-07-2021, 11:46 PM   #3

British Columbia
it will definitely have to be painted- not sure what the previous owners did, but the Ensolite is currently 3 different colours, mint green, white and grey.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:20 AM   #4

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
I bought the seam tape from Scamp (for my scamp) but several places I needed to use superglue to keep it attached.

So it's not a great solution, but we're more interested in camping then renovating, so it's acceptable to us.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahzaharik View Post
it will definitely have to be painted- not sure what the previous owners did, but the Ensolite is currently 3 different colours, mint green, white and grey.
Although I've never done it chalking the seems and dabbing them with a sponge prior to paint is probably your best option.
Someone will comment on products and results I'm sure.
Fred
Old 03-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #6

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Although I've never done it chalking the seems and dabbing them with a sponge prior to paint is probably your best option.
Someone will comment on products and results I'm sure.
Fred

I have done the seams with Chalking on several trailers. It works well.
I used a Latex! Don't try to fill it all at once. Put a little in. Wait for it to dry and do it again. May take 3 application. Make sure it is clean.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:33 PM   #7

British Columbia
thanks for the advise everyone! I have another question though, I had some spots where the Ensolite was pulling off from the fibreglass. I had read that many people recommend using contact cement. my problem is I cannot get it to dry! im using the Lepage brand which seemed to be popular with lots of people on here, im following the directions that are on the packaging, but it just won't dry. the only thing I can think of is that because its just conners that im trying to glue they do naturally want to layl back down onto the fiberglass so maybe there's not enough air flow to actually dry the glue out? any suggestions on how to get it to stick?

thanks!
Old 03-08-2021, 08:37 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Place toothpicks or chopsticks or similar between the two surfaces to maintain a gap and allow the cement to become "dry" ( 20 or 30 minutes ). Then remove one at a time ( starting where the material is still stuck ), while applying pressure as you go.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:40 PM   #9

British Columbia
toothpicks! that's genius, thank you!
Old 03-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #10

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
Quote:
thanks for the advise everyone! I have another question though, I had some spots where the Ensolite was pulling off from the fibreglass. I had read that many people recommend using contact cement. my problem is I cannot get it to dry! im using the Lepage brand which seemed to be popular with lots of people on here, im following the directions that are on the packaging, but it just won't dry. the only thing I can think of is that because its just conners that im trying to glue they do naturally want to layl back down onto the fiberglass so maybe there's not enough air flow to actually dry the glue out? any suggestions on how to get it to stick?

thanks!
Are you heating the Ensolite first? Use a heat gun. ( Or Hair dryer if you don't have one)Heat all the area you want to glue. It will soften. Much easier to work with and easier to mold in place.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:11 AM   #11

Name: Willow
Trailer: Scamp
Vermont
Quote:
I have just purchased my first fibreglass trailer! A 1973 Boler. The cleaning process has begun and I've started by cleaning the ensolite walls, most of the foam seams were starting to come off so I decided to just peel them all off. Now my question is, should I purchase new seam covers? or should I be caulking the seams? Some of them have a pretty decadent size seams so I feel like id have to be jamming a lot of caulking into it to fill the whole. hoping to get some advise for what other people have done and what there experience was with it.

thanks!
Hi @hannahzaharik! I bought my first fiberglass trailer ('83 Scamp 13') and the first thing I did was clean the interior ensolite, pull out the foam seams, and replace the seam tape with white gaffer's tape (which is nice and flat, strong, and cloth-like texture), and then painted over everything - ensolite and gaffer/seam tape - with primer and then white paint. Worked magically, and I think it looks soooo much better than the puffy foam tape!
Willow O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:13 PM   #12

Name: Tracy
Trailer: Scamp 13, 1980
AZ
I used caulk on mine. Looks much better than the foam tape.
TracyG is offline   Reply With Quote