Escape modifications - making it more 'us' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Escape modifications - making it more 'us'

Made some modifications to make our Escape, "Turtle", feel more like 'us'. Took the stove hood out, it was chest heighten and stuck out, making the use of the counter space below limited. We don't use it, rarely cooking inside, and since we just added a Maxxfan, can't imagine needing another fan (our first Maxx - think it could pretty much suck out the whole inside on high!).

So then we had an ugly hole where the vent vented - I filled it with the same bubble wrap used to close off windows from light and covered it with a piece of white contact paper, but it was still ugly. The framing around the hole sticks out about 1/4 inch. We put a board up which filled the space above the hole & provides a place to add hooks or whatever above counter. I painted a piece of plywood, stenciled it to match the stove cover, and Mike attached it to the board with homemade copper hinges. It is not ideal, sticks out a bit too much, but until our next inspiration, it is more attractive than the hole.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3239.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	31708

Next - curtains. I was tired of hitting the blinds with my arm, or my head, since the bed is high due to all my cushy mattresses on top of the cushions (sort of the princess in the pea). I'm not much of blinds person anyway. Took down the blinds, attached a right angle trim piece, held a piece of dowel in with copper straps, curtains roll up, the dowel can be slipped out for washing curtains, the whole thing can come down and blinds put back up if desired.

Name:	IMG_3241.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	31710
(Amazing how those smashed bugs show up in a photo - time for some wall cleaning)

Name:	IMG_3240.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	31709

Curtain rolled up.

My bias is that curtains make it cozier, we left blinds on windows at other end of trailer.

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Looks very nice Penney! Curtains are a great way to add color, which typically using blinds doesn't do. Hope to see you and your trailer down the road!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I like the curtain Idea Penny. I've been trying to come up with something better/different for a while. this gives me an idea
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape